Pointless Ponderings

Pointless Ponderings

Outland
Outland

January 13th, 2012, 1:30 pm #1

No prelude. I'll get right to the pointless.

Was Cammalleri wrong to say what he did in Montreal? Were the Frenchies wrong trading him away in the middle of agame they sorely needed to win? Was it cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Has Lindy Ruff's time come in Buffalo? It appears that what he has to say is tuned out and that it is a team in dissarray. Not that the Buff GM has been crackerjack in his duties (Leino 4 mil a year - HAHAHAHAHA) but Ruff & his particular ways have been around forever. Not all his fault the players suck like they do or that his world class goalie suddenly becomes porous but you can't change an entire team

Should CBJ GM Howsam be on thin ice? He did try to get some better players in the summer but they were hurt and his insistance on sticking with the just recently fired Arniel as his coach was a real puzzler. Any team that gets off to that kind of start and insists on staying the course is run by fools. Enter Mr.Howsam? That they were already paying Ken Hitchcock not to coach and let the Blues snag him was even more amazing and amusing

Another thing on the CBJ is why they continue to try and build around Rick Nash instead of thinking that he hasn't worked out and would bring a nice return for them to get better in a few areas. Rick Nash is a good player but I find him to be a bit overrated for what he brings. He might thrive on a team with a better supporting cast but is he really top dog material?

What will Anaheim do? Is Getzlaff or Ryan really in play? Or do they give Boudreau more time to make things right again with the parts and pieces on hand? I lean towards giving the coach more time but if the problem is within the room, do examples need to be made? I'd love Getzlaff on the Flyers but would they be willing to give to the Ducks what they'd want? It would certainly cost.

Pronger has been shut down for the year but we hear nothing of how he's doing. Is he really that bad? Is any return this year definitely ruled out? I mean, he went from having some headaches and some nausea for a couple weeks (virus???)to getting checked out and suddenly Holmgren's telling the world Pronger's done for the year. When that kind of news comes that early in the year you know it has to be serious. Naturally, we're all left to wonder how something like that gets missed by the whitecoats if it was so blatant.

Unfortunately, concussions continue to happen & the NHL has gone underground much in the way that ostriches do. What are they working on? What are they doing about it? What will they do about it? (insert field cricket noise here). I still maintain that this league is on the brink of having it's 1st death during a game if they don't wake up and smell the coffee. Many sports are slow to be pro-active until it's too late & the NHL is no different. Buying a ticket to an NHL game is a crapshoot these days as you don't know if the players you really want to see playing will be. You could have yourself a pretty damn good team with the guys sitting out with concussions right now.

How can the Oilers and Islanders continue to get so many blue chip draft picks and still be as bad as they are? Why are their managment teams stick intact? Does Snow really service Wang?

Outs

Brett
Brett

January 13th, 2012, 1:56 pm #2

How can they know in November what he will be like 5 months when it comes to a concussion? My understanding was that guys typically are on a day to day basis of how they feel and when they start stringing together back to back good days.

pelle31
pelle31

January 13th, 2012, 3:06 pm #3

But not too long ago I remember reading somewhere that pronged has not progressed at all and that's why we are reading about the flyers going out to get a Weber/surer.....or any other trade because with him out it opens up cap space ....also remember reading the flyers think he may well never be back which leads into a Weber/surer deal to replace him

Russian Flyer
Russian Flyer

January 13th, 2012, 5:31 pm #4

not only he is not getting better but he is totally devastated by the situation. For him not to show up to Winter Classic evens is a sign that something serious is going on. My intuition tells me that his problem might be more than just concussion. But I was wrong before.

It is a right thing for a team to keep going without relying on possibility of his return. Otherwise, this issue might become another Forsberg foot drama. I hope Jagr's groin does not fall under the same category.

Brett
Brett

January 13th, 2012, 8:18 pm #5

I had much trepidation when I saw how quickly he returned from the eye injury, the swelling and damage seemed like it would need longer to be sure of a safe return. I know we love when guys want to be through injuries and get back as quickly as possible, but something like that I wished he would have taken more time with. It was not the playoffs when he was out, it was in October.

His complete abscene from the media including just updates on him seemed very strange to me. The concussion knocking him out for the whole year when he did not have a Lindros like history of concussion issues spoke a lot about just how serious this situation is.

I do not wish to come off happy about his injury, but in the long term this may end up being a positive for us. I still am unclear as to how this would affect our cap situation. He is still a good defenseman, but his cap hit looked daunting as he crept up on 40 years old. Right now we are in a strong situation with our young depth at forward and the fact that two very talented defensemen in their mid-twenties makes it the right time to have a nice window of cap space.

Regardless, I hope he returns to normal health, no matter if he plays in the NHL again.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

January 14th, 2012, 5:37 am #6

If he goes on LTIR we get his money back but we lose a NHL contract if he retires we get nothing because his contract was signed past his 35th birthday. If he is in fact done he won't retire he will stay on the LTIR list and we will use that money to sign another dman.

fff

Pa
Pa

January 14th, 2012, 12:21 pm #7

But not too long ago I remember reading somewhere that pronged has not progressed at all and that's why we are reading about the flyers going out to get a Weber/surer.....or any other trade because with him out it opens up cap space ....also remember reading the flyers think he may well never be back which leads into a Weber/surer deal to replace him
Heard from a friend affiliated that he was seen in passing having trouble locating doorknobs. Sounds to
Me as if there may be some damage to his vestibular also is the rumor.

pelle31
pelle31

January 14th, 2012, 3:17 pm #8

If he goes on LTIR we get his money back but we lose a NHL contract if he retires we get nothing because his contract was signed past his 35th birthday. If he is in fact done he won't retire he will stay on the LTIR list and we will use that money to sign another dman.

fff
That would screw the flyers because it would count against the cap....how many years does he have left? Would he wait to get in the hof?

Russian Flyer
Russian Flyer

January 14th, 2012, 8:58 pm #9

I had much trepidation when I saw how quickly he returned from the eye injury, the swelling and damage seemed like it would need longer to be sure of a safe return. I know we love when guys want to be through injuries and get back as quickly as possible, but something like that I wished he would have taken more time with. It was not the playoffs when he was out, it was in October.

His complete abscene from the media including just updates on him seemed very strange to me. The concussion knocking him out for the whole year when he did not have a Lindros like history of concussion issues spoke a lot about just how serious this situation is.

I do not wish to come off happy about his injury, but in the long term this may end up being a positive for us. I still am unclear as to how this would affect our cap situation. He is still a good defenseman, but his cap hit looked daunting as he crept up on 40 years old. Right now we are in a strong situation with our young depth at forward and the fact that two very talented defensemen in their mid-twenties makes it the right time to have a nice window of cap space.

Regardless, I hope he returns to normal health, no matter if he plays in the NHL again.
"It is very, very tough right now. I don't feel well and it hurts so much not to be playing."

Confirmation of reply: