no analysis

no analysis

Icer
Icer

October 28th, 2011, 4:48 pm #1

It's not possible - they weren't playing hockey last night. Neither team was, for that matter. I've seen better disciplined team games in my rec league.

Forget teh faceoff goal, who hits and doesn't, which rookie played on what line. The game winning goal was the problem in a nutshell. 4 Flyers, all collapsed down low, all staring at the guy with the puck, but none actually skating towards him. I don't think any of them yet know where Ladd came from.

That situation has been getting worse for a few games. They all seem to be more worried about the guy with the puck than in playing sound positions. So they collapse, 3 guys on the puck. Even when the puck carrier is wearing the O&B. Its' team-wide. The whole team is playing like rookies. Uncoached rookies. Yup, I went there. Lava needs to extract his head from his nether regions and watch what's going on on the ice (though it may look eerily similar still). Then maybe he can get his players to do the same. It better change soon, and Homer better be telling Lava that.

Though the results are similar, I don't see the root problem being like last year. Last year, no one wanted to play. This year, thay all seem to be too focused on having to make the play themselves. Means they don't trust teammates? Which only makes it worse, becasue while you feel the need to make the play on the puck yourself, you're also tentative about committing. Which lets in 9 goals.

If teh Jets had shown up it would have been 14-3.

dl
dl

October 28th, 2011, 7:33 pm #2

I gotta ask........WHO didn't want to play LAST YEAR???? The team that beat Buffalo in the first round of Playoffs, who many felt were one of the hottest teams going into the playoffs?

Even as bad as last year's team ended up(without Pronger), this year's team without Pronger, is not on a par......do you agree? Not to say they can't develop into a team that could make some noise.

Icer
Icer

October 28th, 2011, 8:44 pm #3

we've agreed FAR too much today, huh? HAVE to go back to last year's problems?

We haven't agreed on that, never will.

I don't think the current skill level is where it was last year, with Richards, Carter (I was always a Carter fan), and Leino. I think it's got the potential to surpass it in a few years. But not now. But skill isn't why they vanished after January.

BTW, my assessment about the team having problems with their leadership, playing as moody and maudlin as their captain, has been pretty much verified since the departure of Mike & Jeff. Every player who has spoken about it told stories of the game having become a burden, and how it's so much more enjoyable now that the mood in the room has lifted considerably.

dl
dl

October 28th, 2011, 8:58 pm #4

we never will agree on lst year. For instance, there is concern growing about PL handling of this team. Won't take too many more of last night's showings to sway management as you stated. Instead of blaming all the woes of last year on Richards, would the dismissing of PL give more credence to the injustices you brought down on Richards and co.??????? You are going to have to meditate a bit on that one ey???? Must be horrible in that LA locker room now?

Icer
Icer

October 31st, 2011, 7:03 pm #5

IF PL gets fired...... while he is in a bit of hot water right now, I don't even see that bridge from here

As for the LA locker room, Richards isn't the captain in LA. I LIKE Richards, the player. I think Richards the captain was a real problem here. In LA, there's other guys wearing letters that the team can follow, that set the tone, that tell Richards to stop moping around before he drags the team psyche with him. Not to mention the load off Richards, keeping him from getting so down in the first place. I said at the end of the season that the best answer was to keep Mike and strip the C, but didn't see it happening effectively.

This isn't my report on what happened, it's pretty well documented what went on in there last year.

dl
dl

November 1st, 2011, 3:25 am #6

good enuff......../nm

Confirmation of reply: