lilya hip surgery

lilya hip surgery

Pelle31
Pelle31

August 12th, 2012, 1:42 pm #1

Out till December........no loss....hell I can skate as fast as he does.....all our young d will be in the mix now

Brett
Brett

August 12th, 2012, 4:53 pm #2

I was never particularly impressed with him as being a steady veteran defenseman. I'll take any of our rookie d-men from last year over him plus they get NHL experience.

Icer
Icer

August 13th, 2012, 6:49 pm #3

Out till December........no loss....hell I can skate as fast as he does.....all our young d will be in the mix now
Mezsaros, then this!?! I can't believe they let another defensman have an injury! This team will NEVER learn! They couldn't compete in D-III! The forwards stink, the defense is all hurt, the goalie has never stopped puck, the coach ties his ties crooked, the ice girls have split ends - I'm giving up on hockey forever!

Outland
Outland

August 15th, 2012, 3:34 pm #4

It's a loss if Holmgren doesn't replace his experience level. After losing Pronger, Carle and Meszaros, the last thing the Flyers needed was to lose yet another D man with solid NHL experience. Yeah, he's no great shakes but he was hired on to be a 3rd pair D man and do some PK work & he played the part decently. He gives ya 12-14 minutes a night of honest work and it's not his fault how or when he gets used.

The youngsters? I imagine you mean Bourdon, Gustafsson and Manning. All have had some good and bad moments along the way but they are still green and have many lessons still to learn. Team points earned in Oct / Nov are just as important as those being sought later in the year & a rough start can be hard to overcome. The bottom line is Holmgren can NOT afford to stand pat with the blueline group he has. The addition of Luke Schenn, Gervais and having one or 2 of the young guys playing more minutes won't be equal to covering what Pronger, Meszaros and Carle did for the team. Paulnocchio can tell us how much he likes his team until the cows come home but finding anybody who actually believes him is another story. He swung for the fences trying to improve his D group and struck out but it can't end there. There's still a lot of work to be done.

Outs

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm #5

You may be accused of negativity and being a member of the Sky is Falling/Xanax Club. I agree with you, lots of work to be done, especially on D. Some of the folks here think everything is lovely and things will shake out fine. Not realistic in the least considering this team is now far less potent than last year in many ways.

Outland
Outland

August 15th, 2012, 6:18 pm #6

Holmgren has been hailed as a guy who will do what it takes to get what they want yet very few anywhere have questioned his sanity in those matters that featured throwing all your eggs into one basket and wishing and hoping it all comes to fruition. Yeah, he tried to land a couple of big fish but did he do a good job in his quest? Or, to quote the Reverend Johnson in Blazing Saddles, was he was just jerking off?

I'm put in a position I don't really like but here goes anyway. I am going to defend keeping Matt Carle versus what Holmgren offered for Ryan Suter. All I read in here was screw Carle and his demands ($33 million / 6 yrs) because he's not worth that kind of money yet there was a good bit of clamoring in here that was even heard "out" in ******* Egypt about how great it was that Holmgren was being proactive even if it was tremendously stupid when he offered Suter $101 Million over 13 years. Hmmmmmmmm. Is Suter really that much better than Carle? Is he really worth paying 2 million more a year for what he does? I mean we're dealing with a difference of $68 million dollars here and many many more guaranteed years.

Why ponder. Let's take a look! It was said that Matt Carle benefitted mightily because he played with man god Pronger. Okay. Ryan Suter played with Shea Weber, man god part2.

Here's how they've stacked up over their careers.

SUTER - 542 Games - 38G 200A - 11 PP Goals - 396 PIM - .439 pts. per game

CARLE - 471 Games - 32G 170A - 17 PP Goals - 167 PIM - .428 pts. per game

Just sayin. Deride Carle all ya want folks but the guy ate up a ton of minutes and gave the Flyers more good than bad. Doesn't mean he was worth what the TBL gave him but when it's compared to what Suter would do for the Flyers at the price they offered, I don't see where the extra 2 mil and 7 years for Suter was such a great quest to take on.

Hell, to make the offers they did to Suter and Parise was beyond ridiculous and neither player could carry the team on his back for any prolonged period of time. Weber was another story and certainly more worthy then either of the new Wild guys would ever be.

Let's revisit what Holmgren did when it came to the Quest for Shea Weber. The Flyers offered Weber the moon and it's clear to everybody in the known universe that Weber is clearly the superior player when compared to Ryan Suter. Yet, the dollar offer to him wasn't much more than what they offered Suter. How did that happen? Did Holmgren actually make a too low offer to Weber that made it a little easier on the Preds? Hard to call that offer a low ball especially when Weber signed it. Yeah, he had that huge front load of money in his offer that was supposed to deter the Preds but why did he keep the dollars per year in the same area as the Suter offer and not go into that stratosphere known as the 8 millions zone that only the very select have visited? Seems to me if your deadly serious as all get "out" (2fer!) you go to the peak. Just thought I'd run that up the old pole.

And then there's what happens if 1st half wunderkind Kimmo Timonen starts off the season slow and is showing his age and loss of game right from the get go? Is GrossmanN or Luuuuuuuuke really a #3 guy?

Outs

OutL
OutL

August 15th, 2012, 6:45 pm #7

I looked at HITS and BLOCKED SHOTS.

Suter had 87 registered hits 4 years ago. Last year it was 46. Those 46 were fewer than the 55 registered by softie Carle. In fact over the last 2 years, Suter has 110 hits to his credit. Matt Carle has 106.

Blocked shots show that Carle's numbers dwarf what Suter has. The last 4 years show Suter with 405. In the same 4 years Carle has 600. Over the last 2 years Suter has 200 while Carle had 164 just last year and 157 the year before that for a total of 321.

Based on numbers, just who was supposed to be the guy being offered $101 million over 13 years? If Holmgren actually had a plan for improving his team I can't fathom a guess at what it was. It looks to me an awful lot like wing and prayer, seat of the pants flying and hoping that the planes landing gear is down instead of actually seeing to it that it is. That I just saw that Holmgren is now playing team doctor and saying when Lilja will be back only makes things look all the more "out" of kilter.

Outs

Icer
Icer

August 15th, 2012, 8:59 pm #8

Did his plan include Meszaros & Lilja getting hurt?

He made an offer to Carle, but got outbid. So he signed Schenn, Gervais as roster fillers and made the best effort he could to land Weber. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Carle, It's hard to rip him for that plan.

As for forwards, he's got a young crop of forwards who should reasonably be expected to improve with a year of experience. He offered but lost Jagr, who was lost by the end of the year anyway. And JVR's 11 goals are gone - he dealt from strength to fill a need. Nothing wrong with that plan. If the offense has regressed from last year, it's not by much.

A few weeks back, pending Weber's arrival, Paul was a genius who had assembled a top defense without losing much of a top 5 offense. Now that Nashville bankrupted themselves to match Weber, Mesz and Lilja are hurt, his plan is wrong?

I'd like to see a stud dman here, but there aren't any available now. Maybe a power forward, too. But it's not an awful team, and we're still a month from camp opening, many months from trade deadline. A little too soon to assess Homer's plan as failed.

OutL
OutL

August 15th, 2012, 9:49 pm #9

I didn't say the plan failed. I said it looks like there was NO plan. Holmgren gambled more than planned. To my thinking, when you PLAN you have full control and you make it happen. His 'plan' left him dangling in the wind at the mercies and whims of others and it was all about hoping and wishing. It's a fact that Weber wasn't part of any so called planning until the GM was already shunned by some others. Going after Weber from the start would have been a plan.

Sooooooooooo .... you are defending and now you have to tell me just what was the PLAN? Hoping Suter or Weber signs isn't a plan AND none of this has anything to do with Mez or Lilja suddenly getting hurt because Paul Holmgren already had heavy woes weighing on him before any of that happened. He can't be faulted for any of that but he can be faulted for being a bit short sighted when it came to who he had left on D even with a healthy Meszaros and Lilja. I thought the blueline in need of help before the 2 injuries and Holmgren said he liked his team. You agree with him and I agree with me. No Pronger. An aged Timonen. Carle setting sail. Plenty of big holes and signing on the fillers like Gervais and having a roster of kids doesn't fill a whole lot. You know he's been looking at Eminger again.

I think Holmgren's work this summer hasn't been poor but I won't give himn a good grade or think him a genius either. I'll call it a pedestrian C and if he sits pat it goes lower. Handing out offer sheets when you have a rich owner doesn't take a lot of talent & I think he blew the Carle thing with his incessant hometown discount spiel every time he talked. That and leaving him in limbo. I also think he's a bigger liar than his predecessor and that says a lot.

Outs

Freak
Freak

August 16th, 2012, 1:22 am #10

Holmgren has been hailed as a guy who will do what it takes to get what they want yet very few anywhere have questioned his sanity in those matters that featured throwing all your eggs into one basket and wishing and hoping it all comes to fruition. Yeah, he tried to land a couple of big fish but did he do a good job in his quest? Or, to quote the Reverend Johnson in Blazing Saddles, was he was just jerking off?

I'm put in a position I don't really like but here goes anyway. I am going to defend keeping Matt Carle versus what Holmgren offered for Ryan Suter. All I read in here was screw Carle and his demands ($33 million / 6 yrs) because he's not worth that kind of money yet there was a good bit of clamoring in here that was even heard "out" in ******* Egypt about how great it was that Holmgren was being proactive even if it was tremendously stupid when he offered Suter $101 Million over 13 years. Hmmmmmmmm. Is Suter really that much better than Carle? Is he really worth paying 2 million more a year for what he does? I mean we're dealing with a difference of $68 million dollars here and many many more guaranteed years.

Why ponder. Let's take a look! It was said that Matt Carle benefitted mightily because he played with man god Pronger. Okay. Ryan Suter played with Shea Weber, man god part2.

Here's how they've stacked up over their careers.

SUTER - 542 Games - 38G 200A - 11 PP Goals - 396 PIM - .439 pts. per game

CARLE - 471 Games - 32G 170A - 17 PP Goals - 167 PIM - .428 pts. per game

Just sayin. Deride Carle all ya want folks but the guy ate up a ton of minutes and gave the Flyers more good than bad. Doesn't mean he was worth what the TBL gave him but when it's compared to what Suter would do for the Flyers at the price they offered, I don't see where the extra 2 mil and 7 years for Suter was such a great quest to take on.

Hell, to make the offers they did to Suter and Parise was beyond ridiculous and neither player could carry the team on his back for any prolonged period of time. Weber was another story and certainly more worthy then either of the new Wild guys would ever be.

Let's revisit what Holmgren did when it came to the Quest for Shea Weber. The Flyers offered Weber the moon and it's clear to everybody in the known universe that Weber is clearly the superior player when compared to Ryan Suter. Yet, the dollar offer to him wasn't much more than what they offered Suter. How did that happen? Did Holmgren actually make a too low offer to Weber that made it a little easier on the Preds? Hard to call that offer a low ball especially when Weber signed it. Yeah, he had that huge front load of money in his offer that was supposed to deter the Preds but why did he keep the dollars per year in the same area as the Suter offer and not go into that stratosphere known as the 8 millions zone that only the very select have visited? Seems to me if your deadly serious as all get "out" (2fer!) you go to the peak. Just thought I'd run that up the old pole.

And then there's what happens if 1st half wunderkind Kimmo Timonen starts off the season slow and is showing his age and loss of game right from the get go? Is GrossmanN or Luuuuuuuuke really a #3 guy?

Outs
Suter and Carle similar?

LMFAO....not even in the same category.

Carle played on an offense first Flyers, and Suter played on the defence first Preds.

Carle was a give away king, and Suter was not.

Suter takes the body and plays a smart game. Carle, in my opinion, was always a threat in his OWN zone, and never really stepped up to be the offensive guy we all hoped he would be.

It's neither this nor that, as we have neither...but I don't think the stats you posted tell the whole story.

Suter was worth 2+ million more than Carle in any year. They shouldn't even be spoken of in the same sentence as being the same.

I do agree about Weber....he should of had the max contract thrown at him....Paulwinkle got greedy and wanted to add Nash or Ryan as well, so he tried to leave himself room.

You can't blame him for trying.

I would like Carliovacio(sp). He should be able to match Carles numbers, and he is a d that is injury prone, so he would fit right in.

Confirmation of reply: