Brett
Brett

July 26th, 2012, 10:07 pm #2

We all know how much that means to a Flyers coach

Outland
Outland

July 27th, 2012, 3:35 pm #3

gets reupped
It's not quite Wooden Indian Part II but it's closer to it than not.

I don't think PL is a 'bad' coach but I do think he has a lot to answer for starting with why he has to call so many timeouts real early in so many games. He has to answer why his last 2 playoff teams have gotten their azzes soundly kicked by teams that played D well. He has to answer why his team doesn't play D well.

Is he the right coach with the right mindset? I've never thought he's done very well when it came to adjusting and adapting to what the other guy was doing well. His system has left his D and goaltender holding the bag time and time again and even the GM said he wants the team to tighten it up. PL's reaction to that pearl? He got a bit testy and tried defending what he did even when the facts say that the teams that play solid D in the playoffs go a lot further than his last 2 teams have. Having a coach and GM not on the same page is foolish though it does make for some great lieing & entertainment.

Clarke might have had too short a leash with some of his coaches but Holmgren's guys just run loose. Where's that electric restraint collar when you need one?

Out(TIME OUT!! TIME OUT!!)land

PA
PA

July 28th, 2012, 1:12 am #4

If Homer called me into his office and took offense to using timeouts, I'd quit right then and there. Most coaches wait until they are useless and then call them so it looks like they're doing their jobs. Lavy actually uses them proactively before the game is out of hand.

It's kind of hard to question his time outs when it directly led to the, what, 2nd or 3rd comeback from 0-3 in NHL history?

I'm not saying the guy is a god. He has his flaws. My concern mainly is that his message may be repetitive, may be stale at some points.

As for the point about going head-to-head, no coach ever looks good when the other coach is winning. But they sure do look brilliant when they are winning, don't they?

His strengths appear to be motivational and coaching from emotions, using that to gain respect and influence. He's not a players coach by any means, but he will do things to get behind his players and show them he cares about them. Tactically he could be better - absolutely - but he's far from weak.

There are better coaches, sure, but how many? 5? 6? And none available now. He's got a winning record, and if one argues that his biggest concern has been the use of goalies, on THIS team, which hasn't been able to acquire a winning goaltender in 20 years.... well, there's a lot of sin to be shared throughout the building right there.

He's not the best, far from the worst, but for once I'm glad to have a competitive, actively engaged, risk-taking personality in town. If there were other options... I'd listen.... but what are they.

Murray?

Confirmation of reply: