Home Ice Woes

Home Ice Woes

WCF
WCF

January 4th, 2012, 4:14 pm #1

Of the 15 top teams in the league, we have the very worst home record at 8-6-2 and one of the worst goals against total (109). Those two stats are why this will be an, at times, entertaining, but go nowhere type of season. We have become the place that goaltenders come to die.

Icer
Icer

January 4th, 2012, 5:18 pm #2

How can you blame the goalies when the defense is by far the worst in the league and the coaches are terrible

Poor Bob plays great for the past few weeks, lets in ONE bad goal, and suddenly, he's useless.

I'm not sure what you wanted teh team to do, but if you look at all of the available goalies in the last off season, only one - giguere - is playing appreciably better than Bob. And what's his playoff reputation? His last decent season was in 2008, and he collapsed in the playoffs that year. He would have been vilified in Philly, with some of his "soft" goals.

Bryzy has been an absolute disappointment. Most people on this board thiought his signing was a mistake. But before you gon on about how we'll NEVER have a good goalie here -NEVER EVER!, give Bob a chance. That is, if the team ever will. One goal does not a goalie make. and you can't really judge him on the way Lava jerked him around in last year's postseason, on a team in total disarray.

WCF
WCF

January 4th, 2012, 6:40 pm #3

I know you like Bob and have stated that many times, but I am not sold on him because of what happens in the 3rd period of key games that he has played. Last year he was prone to goals like we saw in the WC, soft, back breakers that turned games around. He is prone to those softies despite his generally good play MOST of the time. I don't have confidence in him at key stages of games and I don't think he has improved all that much over last year.

Breezy is another story, he is a veteran tagged to be the savior of the franchise. Well guess what, he is nothing close to it. I was in favor of getting him, but what I have seen and heard about him is disturbing. Talk to people in Phoenix and they will say the same things about him, he is a selfish flake who talks a good game, but fails to deliver the goods when the pressure is on. He got better when the Yotes Sound familiar? It's look so many before him in this uniform in net. I already said this defense is very suspect and is not top drawer, but the softie we saw in the WC was on Bob and he has done before in fine Flyer fashion. I have nothing against the kid and really hoped he would develop and be a #1, but I'm not feeling it.

Icer
Icer

January 4th, 2012, 9:15 pm #4

I DIDN'T like the Bryzy signing, I said so when it happened, and the reasons I listed - pretty much everything you said you're coming around to seeing.

Does that give em any cred on goalies? (didn't think so)

Much as I hate terms like "letting them play", "soft goals" is WAY up there on the list.

There are great goalies, good goalies, not so good goalies. ALL of them occasionally let in goals they know they could have saved. The difference? The "great" goalies can save so many more, that what should be considered "soft" for them would be considered unstoppable for the not so good goalies. Follow the logic? It's a bit confusing, I may not have been clear, so read again if need be.

SO: That goal that Bob let in. Yup, he should have saved it. Should Leighton, Boosh, Crawford have saved it? Maybe not. Wouldn't have been "soft" for them.

In that same game, Bob made saves that other goalies wouldn't have. So did he lose that game, or keep it 3-2 instead of 8-2?

Patrick Roy, probably the best playoff goalie ever, even let in a few he would rather have stopped, and yes, in the playoffs. Difference? Sometimes teams win those games anyway, so no one remembers. Bigger difference? He's not OUR goalie.

Now, not saying Bob=Roy. Only saying that he's shown us that he's good enough that his "soft" level is higher than most. And also pointing out that, considering he's OUR goalie, and you tend to be alarmist, your memory of those back breaking 3rd period goals turning games around might be based on a rather harsh measure. Don't think he can win games for a team? How's this: His career record is 36-18. On a team that went 37-39 with other goalies in the net. that's with Lava yanking him around.

He burst onto the scene incredibly raw, but with amazing side to side speed. He's only 23, has appeared in a total of 75 NHL games. While never being given a real chance to be #1. How can you tell if he's improved, he's not been given a stretch of games to get in a groove? WAY too soon to give up on him. Many goalies don't even get to the NHL by 23.

So, yes we DO have a goaltending problem. Our starting goalie has been poor. The good news is, we might also have a solution. If the coach has the guts to try it.

Freak
Freak

January 4th, 2012, 11:35 pm #5

well said. Thanks you

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

January 5th, 2012, 2:18 am #6

I DIDN'T like the Bryzy signing, I said so when it happened, and the reasons I listed - pretty much everything you said you're coming around to seeing.

Much as I hate terms like "letting them play", "soft goals" is WAY up there on the list.

There are great goalies, good goalies, not so good goalies. ALL of them occasionally let in goals they know they could have saved. The difference? The "great" goalies can save so many more, that what should be considered "soft" for them would be considered unstoppable for the not so good goalies. Follow the logic? It's a bit confusing, I may not have been clear, so read again if need be.

SO: That goal that Bob let in. Yup, he should have saved it. Should Leighton, Boosh, Crawford have saved it? Maybe not. Wouldn't have been "soft" for them.

In that same game, Bob made saves that other goalies wouldn't have. So did he lose that game, or keep it 3-2 instead of 8-2?

Patrick Roy, probably the best playoff goalie ever, even let in a few he would rather have stopped, and yes, in the playoffs. Difference? Sometimes teams win those games anyway, so no one remembers. Bigger difference? He's not OUR goalie.

Now, not saying Bob=Roy. Only saying that he's shown us that he's good enough that his "soft" level is higher than most. And also pointing out that, considering he's OUR goalie, and you tend to be alarmist, your memory of those back breaking 3rd period goals turning games around might be based on a rather harsh measure. Don't think he can win games for a team? How's this: His career record is 36-18. On a team that went 37-39 with other goalies in the net. that's with Lava yanking him around.

He burst onto the scene incredibly raw, but with amazing side to side speed. He's only 23, has appeared in a total of 75 NHL games. While never being given a real chance to be #1. How can you tell if he's improved, he's not been given a stretch of games to get in a groove? WAY too soon to give up on him. Many goalies don't even get to the NHL by 23.

So, yes we DO have a goaltending problem. Our starting goalie has been poor. The good news is, we might also have a solution. If the coach has the guts to try it.
You could sell snow to an Eskimo!!

fff

Sedsey
Sedsey

January 5th, 2012, 3:25 am #7

It the continuing quest to decipher your meaning I just had to ask...you are laughing and mocking him. This seemed to be your past definition of "not letting people have their opinions". How in this case do you feel it differs?

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

January 5th, 2012, 4:32 am #8

Poor baby. I don't feel I am mocking him at all I was actually playing with him. You know, ribbing him and I was actually paying him a compliment. You really take yourself to serious Seds. Maybe you should call up your "young and hot" girlfriend so she can tell you how wonderful you are.

You are growing thou Seds I've noticed that you haven't ridiculed anyone for having a less than sunny view of the Flyers lately. Good for you dude.

fff

Brett
Brett

January 5th, 2012, 6:46 am #9

When the Flyers score late goals to tie it up or win it in the 3rd or in OT, we tend to give credit towards our guys for hustling and making the goal happen. There are games where we came back to beat Broduer and Richter and Hasek and Miller and Fleury and just about any top goalie you can name from the East. (I say East, because when you only play the best goalies in the West once or twice a year, it's not as likely to come back late to win one)

Some of those goals can be considered soft, others not, but unless it is an egregiously poor attempt at making a save, credit goes to our team. On the flip side of that, unless it is a phenomenal shot from one of the league's top sniper, blame will fall on our defense and more often on our goalie.

It's human nature to overreact to something you care about. We worry about and notice "soft" goals allowed in Philly more than the rest of the NHL does.

I've seen mention of Bob playing worse than last year. His save percentage is down from .915 to .914 and his GAA is actually slightly better (at this current moment) than last season from 2.59 to 2.56 and this is without Chris Pronger in front of him AND with less playing time than a season ago. Maybe his isn't markedly improved, but there are factors that indicate his numbers should be worse than they are and he has stayed consistent.

But I digress...I think you have a very valid point on perspective.

Sedsey
Sedsey

January 5th, 2012, 6:59 am #10

Poor baby. I don't feel I am mocking him at all I was actually playing with him. You know, ribbing him and I was actually paying him a compliment. You really take yourself to serious Seds. Maybe you should call up your "young and hot" girlfriend so she can tell you how wonderful you are.

You are growing thou Seds I've noticed that you haven't ridiculed anyone for having a less than sunny view of the Flyers lately. Good for you dude.

fff
One person's "ribbing" is another's "mockery". My "going over the top on purpose" is your "not letting other's have their opinions".

Boy, that girlfriend thing really gets ya, eh? You seem to mention it every time...you could try to come up with another angle just for variety's sake.

Confirmation of reply: