Hey DL, are you ready to change your predicition to this team placing 6th overall?

Hey DL, are you ready to change your predicition to this team placing 6th overall?

TimZ
TimZ

October 9th, 2011, 1:43 am #1

It's more in line with the Vegas odds and this team is looks more like a contender.

dl
dl

October 9th, 2011, 5:01 am #2

Hey ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.....78 more in a row. They can do it....run the table!!!!!Now while it is great to be a good fan, and optimistic and all that, it is a LONGGGGGG season. If they can stay as healthy as they are now, they certainly CAN end up higher than 6th. Heck, they already had a shutout, and some here think that goaltending was NOT a problem. MY thoughts are full of the irony of Flyers Hockey........Watchinng part of tonight's game, I can't help but think that they may have won it all with BRYZ in net. But ifs and buts.......

Pelle31
Pelle31

October 9th, 2011, 3:07 pm #3

these guys come back hard...even Jagr...they play better team D

Bryz has been solid so far...he hasn't had to be great...he was saved once in both games by his defenseman right in front...we'll see

I think our goaltending would have been fine this year with Bob... last year they played him too much for a rookie and wore him down...then come playoff time they yank him...that was ALL Lava's fault...was so stupid to play him in all those back to back games early on...

dl
dl

October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm #4

it truly is more than goaltending. BUT, the fact remains with this goalie, the Flyers MAY, have a Stanley Cup either last year or more likely the year before. Now, I am not going to discuss this hypothetical scenario anymore, but my point in making it in the first place, was to give credence to the management that had seen enough, and opted to get a first class goalie. NOT a career back up( Boosh), not an adequate at best starter (Leighton) not a Rookie with potential (wonder Bob), but a real top notch goalie.

I tip my hat to Snider and management, for I thought there were other ways to go ie picking up an older goalie as Tampa had done. Now whether the TEAM can deliver over the course of the whole season, time will tell.

The other part I can agree with, is yes they would be fine with BOB. Heck they were fine with Bob last year. Is FINE what you are looking for? Bob has spent the whole off season working on his weaknesses that were discovered through the course of the season. He may still be fine or may have improved, but in my eyes he is still a young goalie with lots of potential and not in Bryz class as of yet.

Repeat after me, second start and a shutout. O-93 last year with our two FINE goalies.

TimZ
TimZ

October 9th, 2011, 6:59 pm #5

no one knew what this team would look like on the ice. I'm confident we are better than last year and Richards/Carter won't be missed. It would be a dismal sports year for Philly if the Flyers took a step back.

Pelle31
Pelle31

October 9th, 2011, 7:14 pm #6

it truly is more than goaltending. BUT, the fact remains with this goalie, the Flyers MAY, have a Stanley Cup either last year or more likely the year before. Now, I am not going to discuss this hypothetical scenario anymore, but my point in making it in the first place, was to give credence to the management that had seen enough, and opted to get a first class goalie. NOT a career back up( Boosh), not an adequate at best starter (Leighton) not a Rookie with potential (wonder Bob), but a real top notch goalie.

I tip my hat to Snider and management, for I thought there were other ways to go ie picking up an older goalie as Tampa had done. Now whether the TEAM can deliver over the course of the whole season, time will tell.

The other part I can agree with, is yes they would be fine with BOB. Heck they were fine with Bob last year. Is FINE what you are looking for? Bob has spent the whole off season working on his weaknesses that were discovered through the course of the season. He may still be fine or may have improved, but in my eyes he is still a young goalie with lots of potential and not in Bryz class as of yet.

Repeat after me, second start and a shutout. O-93 last year with our two FINE goalies.
might have been able to carry us had they not worn him out last year playing way more games in a longer season that he had ever played in. had they rested him more he would have been more like the Bob we saw earlier....had we seen that player we wouldn't have Briz...he has improved his game playing more in control in the pre season....

what is gonna suck is we are going to probably lose this kid and he's gonna be an all star goalie somewhere else

The Animal
The Animal

October 10th, 2011, 12:00 am #7

these guys come back hard...even Jagr...they play better team D

Bryz has been solid so far...he hasn't had to be great...he was saved once in both games by his defenseman right in front...we'll see

I think our goaltending would have been fine this year with Bob... last year they played him too much for a rookie and wore him down...then come playoff time they yank him...that was ALL Lava's fault...was so stupid to play him in all those back to back games early on...
Come one, what are you holding on to? Bob is OK, but Bryz is in a level above. NO shutouts in the whole season last year. This good defense hid a lot of rookie mistakes and made him look better than he actually is. This defense made Bouch and Leighton look good as well. Now, the D has an exceptional goalie behind them, and it we have a shutout in out second game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Bob, but he needs some time to grow up and he's right where he needs to be.

The Animal

The Animal
The Animal

October 10th, 2011, 12:01 am #8

might have been able to carry us had they not worn him out last year playing way more games in a longer season that he had ever played in. had they rested him more he would have been more like the Bob we saw earlier....had we seen that player we wouldn't have Briz...he has improved his game playing more in control in the pre season....

what is gonna suck is we are going to probably lose this kid and he's gonna be an all star goalie somewhere else
When are you looking to win the cup? 5 years from now?

Pelle31
Pelle31

October 10th, 2011, 1:52 am #9

we are a couple years away from being a real threat. bad part is half our D will be too old by then

Bryz is a good goalie but he isn't a "put the team on my back" type of goalie...

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

October 10th, 2011, 1:56 am #10

BOB CAN NOT STOP ANYTHING IN THE TOP HALF OF THE NET!!! Sorry about the caps Pelle but I am so frustrated by people, you included who have this romantic view of Bob. He was over played , he was under played, he was pulled or he wasn't. GOD. The young goalie I watched last yr looked great UNTIL he was exposed for having an opening at the top part of the net, teams targeted the top half of the net and they were successful doing it. Playing in pre-season against a lot of AHL talent is fine but lets see if he has addressed his short coming when he plays against guys in the NHL who know how to find the top of the net when they want to. He couldn't stop them last yr so we'll see. Who cares if we lose him anyway we have a stud in net now locked up for a long time. Yes it would be nice to keep Bob IF AND ONLY IF he can stop a shot above his shoulders but if he is traded for value...oh well. In 2 games this yr Ilya has done something BOB couldn't do all yr last yr and that was post a shutout. In the last 2yrs Ilya has 15 shutouts that is tops in the NHL. Goaltending is no longer an issue, last yr I said that Bob wasn't ready for prime time and they needed to go get a true #1 goalie, it seems a few in the flyers front office agreed. The only way Bob become the starter on this team is if Ilya is put on LTD.

fff

Confirmation of reply: