Get dominated and win. Then dominate and lose

Get dominated and win. Then dominate and lose

OutL
OutL

March 21st, 2012, 1:35 am #1

Funny game hockey.

No way this game should be an L but things in life do have a habit of balancing out as there was no way the Flyers should have gotten 3 of 4 possible points in their last 2 games.

Doesn't help that the Pens have rebounded and are beating up Winn 8-4 right now

Outs

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

March 21st, 2012, 2:01 am #2

Not showing up to start games bit them on the a_S_S tonight. The first was a pathetic effort slow and beaten to the puck, I did not see any urgency in the first and they played a step behind for most of it. How can that be true when you only give up 13 shots all game I don't know but that is what I saw. We won't know how this team will do in the post season until they get there because they are so damn erratic.

fff

Sedsey
Sedsey

March 21st, 2012, 2:17 am #3

Funny game hockey.

No way this game should be an L but things in life do have a habit of balancing out as there was no way the Flyers should have gotten 3 of 4 possible points in their last 2 games.

Outs
A lack of starting urgency other than a few players like Wellwood and Talbot that went noticably hard all game.

Another example of failure to get inside when an opposing defense is determined to keep them out.

A refusal to dump and chase, allowing the opponent to merely stack the line and turn it over.

Individually, Giroux has to be told to shoot again. For some time now he has passed up shot after shot and that's why his points, and my pool, are severely lacking.

Two weeks ago I was in first by 6 pts...last night I was in second down 25...my whole team crapped out at once with Giroux and Simmonds as part of that. Boo!

This wasn't the most terrible effort, but it did underscore factors that must change or they will be the death of the team in the end.

WCF
WCF

March 21st, 2012, 10:57 am #4

Funny game hockey.

Outs
No loss is good at this point, but this one hurt them big time. Tankers and NJ win, NYR win the night before and it sure looks like it will be at Tankville in round 1. I don't like. Sunday's euphoric win kind of clouded what has been happening of late.

They are getting killed in the 1st, falling behind 2-0 and having trouble digging out of those holes because the offense is still sputtering badly. That falling behind trend and NOT being ready for games is certain death come playoff time. Thay have only 5 regulation goals in the last 3 games, I don't like what I'm seeing from what should be a higher scoring team. Maybe their concentration on D is the reason.

So goes G, so goes the offense and his lack of scoring and decision not to shoot when he gets chances are killing them on O. Breezy can only do so much and he's simply not getting enough offensive support to beat the likes of Pissburgh in a playoff round. They come at you in waves and were it not for Ilya, we lose on Sunday.

Last night was a bad home loss and in 2 weeks, I think they may be sorely needing those 2 points.

Outland
Outland

March 21st, 2012, 1:46 pm #5

Not showing up to start games bit them on the a_S_S tonight. The first was a pathetic effort slow and beaten to the puck, I did not see any urgency in the first and they played a step behind for most of it. How can that be true when you only give up 13 shots all game I don't know but that is what I saw. We won't know how this team will do in the post season until they get there because they are so damn erratic.

fff
Inconsistent they are. Maddening too. Why falling behind early these days happens so often really begs for answers.

What will they do down the road? I believe the expectations for this team has changed dramatically. It's no longer a bunch of new faces trying to build towards the future but it's become a group featuring a lot of players having career years and the team having great success. The thought of an early exit by the Flyers this year was once almost a shrug thing but they've shown enough this season for me to think that such an exit will not be easily accepted no matter who they play in round #1.

Question: Does all that coming back like they have to do really show heart and character or does their not being ready to go full bore as often as they do show the lack of both?

Outs

OutL
OutL

March 21st, 2012, 1:57 pm #6

No loss is good at this point, but this one hurt them big time. Tankers and NJ win, NYR win the night before and it sure looks like it will be at Tankville in round 1. I don't like. Sunday's euphoric win kind of clouded what has been happening of late.

They are getting killed in the 1st, falling behind 2-0 and having trouble digging out of those holes because the offense is still sputtering badly. That falling behind trend and NOT being ready for games is certain death come playoff time. Thay have only 5 regulation goals in the last 3 games, I don't like what I'm seeing from what should be a higher scoring team. Maybe their concentration on D is the reason.

So goes G, so goes the offense and his lack of scoring and decision not to shoot when he gets chances are killing them on O. Breezy can only do so much and he's simply not getting enough offensive support to beat the likes of Pissburgh in a playoff round. They come at you in waves and were it not for Ilya, we lose on Sunday.

Last night was a bad home loss and in 2 weeks, I think they may be sorely needing those 2 points.
One of their worst defeats in years. How can you throttle a team as well as they did and still end up losing? Makes me shake my head and the rattling noise is bothersome.

That they didn't take advantgae of their PP opps is a given and what you say about their lack of EV scoring is alarming. It seesm they really do give up some offense in order to play better team D. Should they just stick to run and gun and try to outscore the other guy?

It's not comforting to know that their 1st round opponent will be the Pens or NYR. The Pens have the firepower to skate with them and the NYR are really a physical team who will grind on them shift after shift. Not that the Flyers can't do that but it comes more natural to those guys in the Blueshirts. I'm sure both of those teams would rather play somebody else as well and it's not unreasonable to think that the winner of a 1st round matchup of Pens-Flyers or NYR-Flyers will have a lot taken out of them.

Outs

Outland
Outland

March 21st, 2012, 2:08 pm #7

A lack of starting urgency other than a few players like Wellwood and Talbot that went noticably hard all game.

Another example of failure to get inside when an opposing defense is determined to keep them out.

A refusal to dump and chase, allowing the opponent to merely stack the line and turn it over.

Individually, Giroux has to be told to shoot again. For some time now he has passed up shot after shot and that's why his points, and my pool, are severely lacking.

Two weeks ago I was in first by 6 pts...last night I was in second down 25...my whole team crapped out at once with Giroux and Simmonds as part of that. Boo!

This wasn't the most terrible effort, but it did underscore factors that must change or they will be the death of the team in the end.
I'm pleased that Wellwood has performed so well. He always had a good work ethic and he hustles and hits but his lack of offense was seemingly holding him back. Hope he keeps it up.

Slow starts, fancy play attempts and Claude Giroux passing up golden shooting chances in order to pass have been seen often this season. Maybe not as certain as death and taxes but certainly enough to elicit no gasps of shock

Outs

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

March 21st, 2012, 5:18 pm #8

Inconsistent they are. Maddening too. Why falling behind early these days happens so often really begs for answers.

What will they do down the road? I believe the expectations for this team has changed dramatically. It's no longer a bunch of new faces trying to build towards the future but it's become a group featuring a lot of players having career years and the team having great success. The thought of an early exit by the Flyers this year was once almost a shrug thing but they've shown enough this season for me to think that such an exit will not be easily accepted no matter who they play in round #1.

Question: Does all that coming back like they have to do really show heart and character or does their not being ready to go full bore as often as they do show the lack of both?

Outs
be sure to post it! I am and always have been of the belief that it falls on the coach to have his team ready to play. The fact that his team is so often not, should be concerning to him as well as Homer!

fff

Sedsey
Sedsey

March 22nd, 2012, 12:38 am #9

Did that fix everything?

Outland
Outland

March 22nd, 2012, 7:29 am #10

Thank you citizen! Your unexpected call startled me but it helped relieve my bowel blockage and I feel superior once more.

I like that PL will call timeouts to adjust / tweak / scold but there's a limit to that liking and PL has passed his a long time ago. I mean, if they allowed 6 a game he'd fill his dance card in no time. I smoked the wooden one plenty (no, not literally Dan) for his team being unready but I've been pretty polite to PL for the most part. For what it's worth, it appears that ridding themselves of Batman and Robin (or is that Bartles & James?) didn't do anything to fix that area.

Figures. I'll be in Washington D.C all day and the Caps-Flyers game is in Philly.

Outs

Confirmation of reply: