Gagne could play tonight

Gagne could play tonight

OutL
OutL

June 4th, 2012, 5:51 pm #1

Darren Dreger reporting he could be stepping in for Richardson.

Good for Gagne. That would make him eligible to get his name put on the Cup and he deserves the chance.

Loki
Loki

June 4th, 2012, 6:06 pm #2

petition to have his name put on the Cup. My one rooting interest for the Kings is Simon getting his name on the Cup. He deserves it and I would be thrilled for him. He's one of the class acts in hockey and as nice a guy as you could meet. He and JR were always willing to stop and chat with the kids when we saw them at one of the area rinks. Those two always went out of their way to be good with the youngsters.

Sedsey
Sedsey

June 5th, 2012, 8:03 am #3

Finally one ex-Flyers reason not to be puking over LA Kings winning. I have nothing against Williams either. I like Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty. Quick has been the afterthought for a few seasons as scribes predicted each year to be the year of Bernier, but that talk should be stuffed now.

On the other hand I am really sickened about how Carter basically suckholed his way out of twon here and then again in Columbus and for his bad behavior he will get the ultimate reward. Really disgusted on the that front.

Richards proves he is no leader but can play a role well. I was sick of his petulance and he would have never led us to anything here. We needed those guys out of the way to let Giroux take it over like he did. Seeing Richards win doesn't kill me like seeing Carter does, but I guess overall it isn't the Devils so it could be worse.

I wonder how much tickets are going for now with game four poised to be their first Stanley Cup?

I have a feeling they'll get it but wouldn't be surprised if the nerves got to them a bit and they had to finish it in 5.

Section 206
Section 206

June 5th, 2012, 10:20 am #4

Jeff Carter did "suckhole" his way out of Columbus but not out of Philadelphia. As I remember he was very upset with the trade at the time and he even went into seclusion in Ocean City, New Jersey.

Josh
Josh

June 5th, 2012, 7:22 pm #5

Finally one ex-Flyers reason not to be puking over LA Kings winning. I have nothing against Williams either. I like Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty. Quick has been the afterthought for a few seasons as scribes predicted each year to be the year of Bernier, but that talk should be stuffed now.

On the other hand I am really sickened about how Carter basically suckholed his way out of twon here and then again in Columbus and for his bad behavior he will get the ultimate reward. Really disgusted on the that front.

Richards proves he is no leader but can play a role well. I was sick of his petulance and he would have never led us to anything here. We needed those guys out of the way to let Giroux take it over like he did. Seeing Richards win doesn't kill me like seeing Carter does, but I guess overall it isn't the Devils so it could be worse.

I wonder how much tickets are going for now with game four poised to be their first Stanley Cup?

I have a feeling they'll get it but wouldn't be surprised if the nerves got to them a bit and they had to finish it in 5.
Alot of people seem to be pissed at the fact that Carter and Richards are winning the cup.....because they didn't win it here. Nevermind the fact that Quick has put up better numbers than Roy, Hasek and Brodeur this postseason, while our goaltending is average at best.

In the games I saw, Carter played well, albeit inconsistent, but well in the playoffs and the season...

Richards to me always put forth 100%, people like to dismiss the idea of them playing hurt but I'd like to see any fan try to attempt that. Doesn't matter how much money they're making, thats not what they're playing for...well most of them anyways.

Richards was quite simply too young when they named him Captain. I blame the organization for that. He simply didnt want to be Captain....some players dont want it. They tried making Gagne captain years ago, he told them no way.

I'm glad they get to win the cup, they both said they wanted to play here their entire careers. Especially happy for Gagne, Stevens AND Hextall, the Ast GM.

And for people who come down on them for being the "party boys" of Philly...they were in their early 20's, had loads of money and were really good hockey players. To think that's the only people that happened to is juts ignorance, and I think people were right out jealous of them.

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

June 5th, 2012, 8:15 pm #6

I know it will be rather unpopular, but what the hell...

Are Flyers fans more upset by Carter and Richards getting their name on the Stanley Cup, or more upset that the Flyers organization couldn't seem to put the right pieces together while they were here?

I've seen the posts consoling ourselves by saying we like what we got for both Carter and Richards, but as another post said, isn't the ultimate goal to bring the big silver trophy home?

And again, it's a very unpopular sentiment, but there is a difference between being a contender, and being a winner. At some point, the Flyers organization needs to figure that out.

Rob

Sedsey
Sedsey

June 6th, 2012, 5:01 am #7

They were supposed to lead the way and perhaps weren't ready for it. Certainly not in the season where they moved out Roenick and Amonte to make room for them.

There were times of injury.

I don't think anybody could say they were injured through a lot of floating "go through the motions" kind of nights. The very fact that they did have another level and had some success contributed to a sense that they could (I think it's GrampO that likes this phrase) "flip the switch" and they weren't taking it seriously.

That is frustrating for fans. They want the big contracts and the ice time. They have to produce. Too often they didn't. Not that they were alone, but that series versus Boston was a disgrace and the team decided based on it to move in a different direction.

Now we see them in a secondary role. Carter is a winger. They follow the lead of better players.

The "Party Boys" stuff is just a shorthand reference to that lax attitude. Who knows if it was partying that made them passive and disinterested?

Sure, they were young guys scoring hot women with expensive toys and lots of people would like that lifestyle, but lots of other young stars hit the league with the same chances and you never hear of it. Is the Philly market somehow more ravenous in media coverage? I bet it would reported anywhere and that is the life of fame and fortune. Nobody is feeling sorry for them, I can assure you.

I don't mind Richards as much, but there is no doubt his media face really wore on me.

Personally I look at how the Devils are being beaten up and think our team right now should have gone past them.

In Carter's case his play and looming contract terms got him moved. That's what happened. So he goes off to Columbus and sulks. Then he gets a break trade because he sucked so badly that even Columbus couldn't use him, and somehow he ends up in the perfect spot where he can be a role player and other guys do the heavy lifting. I think that kind of sucks and so I don't like it.

Everybody can have their opinion on it. Yup, it's worth it to them now but I bet we haven't heard the last lament we'll hear over the contracts on those two before their terms are up. That is not the fault of either player for signing, but I will still take the trades that our team made and I believe the Flyers are as close as their Wales opponents to any given season ending like it is for the Kings now.

If the Flyers exact team played with this kind of drive and jam then we'd be in the Finals now.

WCF
WCF

June 6th, 2012, 11:33 am #8

I know it will be rather unpopular, but what the hell...

Are Flyers fans more upset by Carter and Richards getting their name on the Stanley Cup, or more upset that the Flyers organization couldn't seem to put the right pieces together while they were here?

I've seen the posts consoling ourselves by saying we like what we got for both Carter and Richards, but as another post said, isn't the ultimate goal to bring the big silver trophy home?

And again, it's a very unpopular sentiment, but there is a difference between being a contender, and being a winner. At some point, the Flyers organization needs to figure that out.

Rob
I'm not so terribly upset seeing Richards win a Cup because despite his petulent nature, he is a good player that was not handled properly here (a Flyers hallmark statement). He is NOT a centerpiece who is or wants to be an NHL captain, he is a very good prime support player. That proved out in spades here and the proof in the pudding is his important, but not centerpeice role in LA winning the Cup.

Carter is a different story, he is an inconsistent and lazy player who is lucking out by being in the right place to win with his buddy. I think Carter is a ****, here is a guy who could have helped us win a Cup if he could have buried that open net goal in Game 6 in 2010. Now seeing him score a key goal or two in LA's upcoming Cup win just burns the hell out of me!

Now back to the real shame of all this. Shame that the Flyers even thought both these guys were centerpieces to win a Cup especially when they didn't add the proper role players to make the team a "true" Cup threat. Look up the work miscalculation in the dictionary and the Flyers logo is beside it.

The Flyers are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short in ALL aspects of how they run their team. The miscalculations in player acquistions (JVR and Schenn upcoming, g-tending fiascos, spotty head coaching and even worse assistant coach selections, failed system implemetations, inability to effectively adapt to styles of play (can you say trap), over-inflated contracts, meddling of an owner past his time, and acquiring guys past their prime all spell why this team hasn't won in 38 years.

Those out there who think this current team is poised to challenge for a Cup are kidding themselves when we have a swiss cheese-like defense and forwards who can't and won't play a team defenseive game (see the current Kings team for a primer of how a team can play defense, TOGETHER.)

WCF
WCF

June 6th, 2012, 11:42 am #9

They were supposed to lead the way and perhaps weren't ready for it. Certainly not in the season where they moved out Roenick and Amonte to make room for them.

There were times of injury.

I don't think anybody could say they were injured through a lot of floating "go through the motions" kind of nights. The very fact that they did have another level and had some success contributed to a sense that they could (I think it's GrampO that likes this phrase) "flip the switch" and they weren't taking it seriously.

That is frustrating for fans. They want the big contracts and the ice time. They have to produce. Too often they didn't. Not that they were alone, but that series versus Boston was a disgrace and the team decided based on it to move in a different direction.

Now we see them in a secondary role. Carter is a winger. They follow the lead of better players.

The "Party Boys" stuff is just a shorthand reference to that lax attitude. Who knows if it was partying that made them passive and disinterested?

Sure, they were young guys scoring hot women with expensive toys and lots of people would like that lifestyle, but lots of other young stars hit the league with the same chances and you never hear of it. Is the Philly market somehow more ravenous in media coverage? I bet it would reported anywhere and that is the life of fame and fortune. Nobody is feeling sorry for them, I can assure you.

I don't mind Richards as much, but there is no doubt his media face really wore on me.

Personally I look at how the Devils are being beaten up and think our team right now should have gone past them.

In Carter's case his play and looming contract terms got him moved. That's what happened. So he goes off to Columbus and sulks. Then he gets a break trade because he sucked so badly that even Columbus couldn't use him, and somehow he ends up in the perfect spot where he can be a role player and other guys do the heavy lifting. I think that kind of sucks and so I don't like it.

Everybody can have their opinion on it. Yup, it's worth it to them now but I bet we haven't heard the last lament we'll hear over the contracts on those two before their terms are up. That is not the fault of either player for signing, but I will still take the trades that our team made and I believe the Flyers are as close as their Wales opponents to any given season ending like it is for the Kings now.

If the Flyers exact team played with this kind of drive and jam then we'd be in the Finals now.
I'm perplexed that you think we should have beaten NJ when we showed absolutely NOTHING against them after that game 1 OT winning goal. NJ is the same team that eliminated the #1 team in the East, the team we couldn't beat even once this year, remember? The same team that finished only 1 point behind us. NJ is getting outclassed by an LA team that nobody in the NHL can stop, they are clicking and peaking at the right time. LA is proving that NJ is beatable, but to say we should have beaten them is surprising considering there was no evidence to support we could have. You are one of the most astute hockey observers here or anywhere for that matter, so that is why I'm surprised you think we should have beaten NJ.

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

June 6th, 2012, 1:25 pm #10

I'm not so terribly upset seeing Richards win a Cup because despite his petulent nature, he is a good player that was not handled properly here (a Flyers hallmark statement). He is NOT a centerpiece who is or wants to be an NHL captain, he is a very good prime support player. That proved out in spades here and the proof in the pudding is his important, but not centerpeice role in LA winning the Cup.

Carter is a different story, he is an inconsistent and lazy player who is lucking out by being in the right place to win with his buddy. I think Carter is a ****, here is a guy who could have helped us win a Cup if he could have buried that open net goal in Game 6 in 2010. Now seeing him score a key goal or two in LA's upcoming Cup win just burns the hell out of me!

Now back to the real shame of all this. Shame that the Flyers even thought both these guys were centerpieces to win a Cup especially when they didn't add the proper role players to make the team a "true" Cup threat. Look up the work miscalculation in the dictionary and the Flyers logo is beside it.

The Flyers are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS a day late and a dollar short in ALL aspects of how they run their team. The miscalculations in player acquistions (JVR and Schenn upcoming, g-tending fiascos, spotty head coaching and even worse assistant coach selections, failed system implemetations, inability to effectively adapt to styles of play (can you say trap), over-inflated contracts, meddling of an owner past his time, and acquiring guys past their prime all spell why this team hasn't won in 38 years.

Those out there who think this current team is poised to challenge for a Cup are kidding themselves when we have a swiss cheese-like defense and forwards who can't and won't play a team defenseive game (see the current Kings team for a primer of how a team can play defense, TOGETHER.)
I don't see the Flyers as being that far off, and I think a fix could come with something as simple as a coaching change.

I've seen a few posters on here pointing out that Sutter, who comes from a family with a hallmark of over-achieving, is getting the most out of his talent in L.A.

I'll take it a step further in pointing out what Dineen, also a guy with a history of giving his all and over-achieving, did down in Florida this season.

Then we take a look at the Flyers. In the words of several posters, there has been a country club atmosphere for a while. You also have to give some creedence to the apparent lack of preparation we saw this season. I also don't care for the perception, be it real or otherwise, that there's really no accountability when it comes to the players. No matter what the situation, there always seems to be an excuse.

I'd like to see a change of attitude in Philly, and as I've said many times before, I don't think that Laviolette is the right guy for the job. We need someone with a history of getting the most out of what he has, and expecting maximum effort at all times.

Bring the swagger back to Philly. I want a guy who can get his players believing that they can beat anyone at any time by any means necessary.

Rob

Confirmation of reply: