Frustrating loss, but no shame in it

Frustrating loss, but no shame in it

Sedsey
Sedsey

February 29th, 2012, 6:13 am #1

Certainly one would like Talbot and Simmonds to get their asses in gear to backcheck so Meszaros and Timonen don't have to back in with Thornton on the one goal, and other than that some bad turnovers by Read and Voracek X2, but overall that was a hard fought game and a throwback ref night where the body was allowed to be used to defend.

Bryzgalov was good tonight.

Simmonds showed me the kind of fire I like to see in games like this.

Nobody could quite fight in there to get a rebound by Niemi. Disappointing. Frustrating.

But not shameful. Shameful would be to return home after this bitter loss and play down to the NYI.

San Jose continues to be part of an unfortunate list of teams the Flyers never beat. They sure gave it a hard effort tonight.

WCF
WCF

February 29th, 2012, 9:53 am #2

That is eight weeks and counting with the inability to win two games in a row. At this time of year, that kind of pattern of play is deadly. Two shutouts against on this road trip just leaves one realizing this streak of mediocrity shows no end. even when the effort is there, they're still losing games to the usual suspects. I guess we just better get used to this because this is what we're going to get the rest of the way.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

February 29th, 2012, 2:22 pm #3

Certainly one would like Talbot and Simmonds to get their asses in gear to backcheck so Meszaros and Timonen don't have to back in with Thornton on the one goal, and other than that some bad turnovers by Read and Voracek X2, but overall that was a hard fought game and a throwback ref night where the body was allowed to be used to defend.

Nobody could quite fight in there to get a rebound by Niemi. Disappointing. Frustrating.

But not shameful. Shameful would be to return home after this bitter loss and play down to the NYI.

San Jose continues to be part of an unfortunate list of teams the Flyers never beat. They sure gave it a hard effort tonight.
They had solid spurts, the first happened with 5 min left in the first! The first check I saw thrown with any meaning was Briere when he bumped into a Shark d-man near the end of the first. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy too many passengers JVR, Schenn, Jagr, Giroux, Hartnell for large parts to name a few. Again they refuse to skate refuse to hit with meaning although the NHL whipping boy laid a nice one on a Shark there. Breezy looked strong tonight very solid and comfortable back there. They had better get use to playing in the gutter to create chances because THAT is playoff hockey.

C+ for tonight.

fff

Icer
Icer

February 29th, 2012, 5:51 pm #4

but again, weak mental effort. They just seem really unfocused at times. The D was better with clearing pucks, in that they only had 6 or 7 fire drills, instead of 15 or 20.

Just hoping they are saving the mental effort for the playoffs, taking the rest now.

But an interesting number: in the past 35 games, the Flyers have had ONE first period lead!

Confirmation of reply: