For all of the Carle bashing...

For all of the Carle bashing...

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

May 10th, 2012, 9:30 pm #1

And Lord knows there's been plenty of it...

Let's keep in mind that during the playoffs, he was forced to step into a role he was not suited to fill... that is, a #1 or #2 guy in our defensive corps. Of course, with all of the ice time he logged (out of necessity), we were going to see the flaws in his game.

To his defense, he was the only defenseman that attempted any kind of offensive game in the New Jersey series.

With all of this said, I believe he will be a cap casualty during this off-season.

Rob

Loki
Loki

May 10th, 2012, 9:49 pm #2

That and not being able to get a shot through from the point.

He's a classic case of having to have a physical defenseman next to him and when he doesn't he gets exposed down low. He should be paired with a guy like Grossmann. A more stay at home kind of defenseman.

As for the cap casualty, if he comes in with a reasonable request I hope they keep him. If he and his agent insist on a 5 or even 4 million per year hit, see ya.

Greg
Greg

May 10th, 2012, 11:17 pm #3

He sucks on defense and for an offensive minded defenseman his passes and shoorting sucks

Greg
Greg

May 10th, 2012, 11:17 pm #4

Weak just like my spelling and typing.

Brett
Brett

May 11th, 2012, 1:29 am #5

That and not being able to get a shot through from the point.

He's a classic case of having to have a physical defenseman next to him and when he doesn't he gets exposed down low. He should be paired with a guy like Grossmann. A more stay at home kind of defenseman.

As for the cap casualty, if he comes in with a reasonable request I hope they keep him. If he and his agent insist on a 5 or even 4 million per year hit, see ya.
He is a very steady all around defenseman. Solid in his own zone, solid on offense, solid on the power play. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well. For my money, I would prefer to have someone who does something much better than the average defenseman, whereas Carle is average or a little better than average in all aspects of his game.

He's a good guy to have on your 2nd pairing for around $3-3.5 million a season. If you're paying him in excess of that, you're paying too much. I would much rather make a run at Suter and play Bourdon, Manning, or Gustafsson on the third pairing than simply have 6 second pairing defensemen. We need a number 1...Pronger's not playing, Timonen isn't the top notch guy he once was, Meszaros is more of a guy who is awesome for a 2nd pairing but only average to have as a top pairing defenseman.

While I don't begrudge Carle, I think he's a solid defenseman and he has played well for us. I do not want to pay him over $4 million a season. We should be able to develop one of the young guys to do what he does at a fraction of the cost. Use that money to pursue Suter, or sit on it for space to trade during the year, or sit on it to sign someone else next season. Don't spend all of your cap space on what's available if it isn't worth the value.

UDFlyer
UDFlyer

May 11th, 2012, 1:33 am #6

And Lord knows there's been plenty of it...

Let's keep in mind that during the playoffs, he was forced to step into a role he was not suited to fill... that is, a #1 or #2 guy in our defensive corps. Of course, with all of the ice time he logged (out of necessity), we were going to see the flaws in his game.

To his defense, he was the only defenseman that attempted any kind of offensive game in the New Jersey series.

With all of this said, I believe he will be a cap casualty during this off-season.

Rob
He's looking to be paid like that first pairing dman that you accurately point out he is not. I'm sure he's looking for $4.5+mil/year or more. I homestly think Gustaffson can give you 80% next year of what Carle would have for, what, an 1/8th of the cost? See ya, Matty. Let's put that money to use elsewhere.

UDFlyer
UDFlyer

May 11th, 2012, 1:37 am #7

He is a very steady all around defenseman. Solid in his own zone, solid on offense, solid on the power play. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well. For my money, I would prefer to have someone who does something much better than the average defenseman, whereas Carle is average or a little better than average in all aspects of his game.

He's a good guy to have on your 2nd pairing for around $3-3.5 million a season. If you're paying him in excess of that, you're paying too much. I would much rather make a run at Suter and play Bourdon, Manning, or Gustafsson on the third pairing than simply have 6 second pairing defensemen. We need a number 1...Pronger's not playing, Timonen isn't the top notch guy he once was, Meszaros is more of a guy who is awesome for a 2nd pairing but only average to have as a top pairing defenseman.

While I don't begrudge Carle, I think he's a solid defenseman and he has played well for us. I do not want to pay him over $4 million a season. We should be able to develop one of the young guys to do what he does at a fraction of the cost. Use that money to pursue Suter, or sit on it for space to trade during the year, or sit on it to sign someone else next season. Don't spend all of your cap space on what's available if it isn't worth the value.
Provided Pronger's not back, and we have zero reasons to believe he will be, something like this seems entirely possible and would be awesome:

Suter (or Weber) and Coburn
Meszaros and Kimmo
Grosmann and Gustafsson

UDF

Freak
Freak

May 11th, 2012, 2:59 am #8

We also have Bourdon...

We don't need Carle, we need a true #1.

Loki
Loki

May 11th, 2012, 4:17 am #9

He sucks on defense and for an offensive minded defenseman his passes and shoorting sucks
Carle is a nice defenseman. He has weaknesses. Let's not go overboard. If he's demanding #2 money...hell, even #3 money. He goes. To say he sucks is ludicrous.

Outland
Outland

May 11th, 2012, 10:58 am #10

He's looking to be paid like that first pairing dman that you accurately point out he is not. I'm sure he's looking for $4.5+mil/year or more. I homestly think Gustaffson can give you 80% next year of what Carle would have for, what, an 1/8th of the cost? See ya, Matty. Let's put that money to use elsewhere.
Not enchanted or enthralled by Carle but he gives them a lot that isn't being discussed.

1. He does block a LOT of shots. I've seen guys in front of the net bothering the goalies and Carle started dropping. It's even better when he's paired with Timonen and they do the flopping fish ballet

2. He's the ONLY D man named Matt. Surely THAT means something to YOU!

3. They gave Coburn 4.5 million worth of cap hit to be even less productive and just as inconsistent

4. You can't spell eclair without Carle. You can look it up.

5. Paul Holmgren is the man in charge of dealing with the contract situation. What has he done in like situations in the past? That might give a clue to what is going to happen.

They need to be careful. They've already lost Pronger and Timonen is older than his 37 years. I hear Holmgren saying he wants to extend Timonen & keep him around for a few more years. I ask at what cost and then I laugh. Suter? EVERYBODY wants him or Weber. There's a lot of hate for the long, big dollar contracts and what do folks think that Suter will get? By the way, Didn't Nashville have Suter AND Weber, a great goalie and a hard working team? Where are they this morning? Maybe people need to be careful about what they wish for.

Hope life is being kind to ya Mr.in the Slot

Outs

Confirmation of reply: