Flyers Select Scott Laughton at #20 overall

Flyers Select Scott Laughton at #20 overall

Brett
Brett

June 23rd, 2012, 1:45 am #1

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdet ... &year=2012

Compares in style to...you guessed it...Mike Richards, who is also listed as his favorite player. Announcers made an interesting point of a top 3 centermen of the future being Giroux, Couturier, and Laughton. Makes sense, although perhaps a goalie would have been prudent.

We'll know it about 2-3 years if this was a good pick.

Freak
Freak

June 23rd, 2012, 2:03 am #2

we have an over abundance of forwards, and nothing for the defense, and we draft a forward....stupid logic in my books

Pitts
Pitts

June 23rd, 2012, 2:10 am #3

The Pens keep drafting defense and we have no forward prospects. Just took Matta.

TimZ
TimZ

June 23rd, 2012, 2:42 am #4

and your defense will improve once you start tanking season for them too!

Outland
Outland

June 23rd, 2012, 12:22 pm #5

Compares in style to...you guessed it...Mike Richards, who is also listed as his favorite player. Announcers made an interesting point of a top 3 centermen of the future being Giroux, Couturier, and Laughton. Makes sense, although perhaps a goalie would have been prudent.

I heard what you did (McGuire I think) and my initial reaction to that comment was "what about Schenn?". Schenn already has a leg up as a center on a higher line AND the move already replaced Briere. I found it odd that a player who just one year ago was being called 'the best player not in the NHL' was overlooked so easily. Guess it's easy to fall off the pedestal.

In Laughton, is this another case of Flyers 101 where ya can't have too many centers? I was looking at adding to the D but I also have no knowledge of what the Flyers other plans are which could make drafting another forward wise and, perhaps, more necessary. The Flyers reached deep to take him that early and they must have seen something they really liked. Like all #1 picks, his promise and potential reads well.

I do hate that they try to compare the kids to established (often star) players but have to admit it does give the viewer more of a feel for the draftees game.

Outs

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

June 23rd, 2012, 12:54 pm #6

This kid seems to be a player but come on, we need d-men in a big way and we use our 1st rd pick to select a third line player???? I really think the Flyers had a collective brain cramp on this on. Third line players are a dime a dozen but defense is a much harder position to fill. I just don't see how there is any logic in this choice. First rders are huge and to use them in a deep defense laden draft for a guy rated 42nd by Hockey news and 50th by ISS is ridiculous in my opinion. Who replaces Prongers spot who replaces Kimmo? Now to be clear no one in the draft would replace those guys but you have to at least draft some d-men to mold them into NHL players. Today after all the top d are gone the Flyers will draft a d-man fooling everyone who took a d-man in the first rd. I think I am seeing some Andy Reid here but maybe I should not be so fast to judge after all Andy has has ssooooooo much success at winning titles. This team just cannot seem to do the right thing when the right thing needs doing. Why not use the pick as trade bait for a d-man deal?? In Homer we trust BUT the trust has been shaken badly by this dumb pick.

fff

Loki
Loki

June 23rd, 2012, 5:34 pm #7

I heard what you did (McGuire I think) and my initial reaction to that comment was "what about Schenn?". Schenn already has a leg up as a center on a higher line AND the move already replaced Briere. I found it odd that a player who just one year ago was being called 'the best player not in the NHL' was overlooked so easily. Guess it's easy to fall off the pedestal.

In Laughton, is this another case of Flyers 101 where ya can't have too many centers? I was looking at adding to the D but I also have no knowledge of what the Flyers other plans are which could make drafting another forward wise and, perhaps, more necessary. The Flyers reached deep to take him that early and they must have seen something they really liked. Like all #1 picks, his promise and potential reads well.

I do hate that they try to compare the kids to established (often star) players but have to admit it does give the viewer more of a feel for the draftees game.

Outs
See what I did there? Canadian version of rumors :D

Brett
Brett

June 23rd, 2012, 6:39 pm #8

Outs
I actually typed out "where does that leave Schenn?" and then realized I didn't feel like expanding on that thought.

Mostly I think it's just the announcers missing one guy. It's easy for us who follow the Flyers heavily to keep everything straight, but these guys are trying to stay on top of 30 NHL teams plus prospects. Doesn't really mean anything. But who knows, maybe Laughton or Schenn's best option will be moving to the wing.

BwB
BwB

June 23rd, 2012, 7:23 pm #9

The Pens keep drafting defense and we have no forward prospects. Just took Matta.
Do any of your defensemen actually play defense? Or you guys just gonna try and out score everyone 16-13 every night?

Confirmation of reply: