Flyers in 7 ... and here's why

Flyers in 7 ... and here's why

UDFlyer
UDFlyer

May 7th, 2012, 6:01 pm #1

Look. We all grossly underestimated the Devils and the danger they bring in this series. They have been the better team for 70% of this series. That said, the Flyers are more talented. And since Laviolette has been their coach, they've always played better with their backs to the wall.

I FULLY expect them to come out and play a great game 5. With or without G. And I expect they'll win Game 6. And then it all comes down to Game 7. At home.

UDF

The Animal
The Animal

May 7th, 2012, 11:24 pm #2

I keep hearing this and don;t know where it is coming from?

Top 7 Devils forwards goal totals...
Kovalchuck 37
Parise 31
Clarkson 30
Elias 26
Sykora 21
Zubrus 17
Henrique 16

Top 7 Flyers Forwares goal totals...
Hartnell 37
Giroux 28
Simmonds 28
Read 24
Jagr 19
Talbot 19
Voracek 18

Then the wildcards are Zajak and Briere who did not play a pivotal role in the regualr season, but are big contributers in the playoffs. We may have a little more depth, but the devils are far from not being as talented as the flyers.

CaliFlyer
CaliFlyer

May 8th, 2012, 5:16 am #3

I didn't realize it was so very even. Awesome work to pick that up.

My impression through the season had been that the Flyers are faster and more skilled, but I think that's just a matter of underestimating the Devs. Thanks for pointing out how very close the two teams are.

WCF
WCF

May 8th, 2012, 11:42 am #4

Kovalchuck 37
Parise 31
Clarkson 30
Elias 26
Sykora 21
Zubrus 17
Henrique 16

Hartnell 37
Giroux 28
Simmonds 28
Read 24
Jagr 19
Talbot 19
Voracek 18

Then the wildcards are Zajak and Briere who did not play a pivotal role in the regualr season, but are big contributers in the playoffs. We may have a little more depth, but the devils are far from not being as talented as the flyers.
The contention that we are "more talented" is a myth that both the media and us fans bought into. Just looking at the teams more closely shows the talent levels are pretty even and I would say their forwards are slightly better considering they ALL know how to buy into the NJ system that has largely bedeviled us for the last 18 years. Add to the mix guys who always seem to kill us (Elias and Sykora), and you have a recipe that shows except or a few times in the recent past, we can't hang with these guys.

Icer
Icer

May 8th, 2012, 3:33 pm #5

Kovalchuck 37
Parise 31
Clarkson 30
Elias 26
Sykora 21
Zubrus 17
Henrique 16

Hartnell 37
Giroux 28
Simmonds 28
Read 24
Jagr 19
Talbot 19
Voracek 18

pick the top 7, but the point is the Flyers are far deeper in their talent. Which is how they scored 45 more goals than the devils.

Neither D is anything special. Flyers only gave up 20 more goals, and that was playing 75% of the season with a goalie lost in the woods.

And, while the skaters haven't shown up, Bryz has been the better goalie.

Icer
Icer

May 8th, 2012, 3:45 pm #6

The contention that we are "more talented" is a myth that both the media and us fans bought into. Just looking at the teams more closely shows the talent levels are pretty even and I would say their forwards are slightly better considering they ALL know how to buy into the NJ system that has largely bedeviled us for the last 18 years. Add to the mix guys who always seem to kill us (Elias and Sykora), and you have a recipe that shows except or a few times in the recent past, we can't hang with these guys.
having players that buy into the system is very different than having more skilled players. If anything, you just proved the point.

The devils, less skilled, are winning BECAUSE they buy into a system and the Flyers don't.

The Animal
The Animal

May 9th, 2012, 1:21 am #7

I didn't realize it was so very even. Awesome work to pick that up.

My impression through the season had been that the Flyers are faster and more skilled, but I think that's just a matter of underestimating the Devs. Thanks for pointing out how very close the two teams are.
I thought the same thing, until somoone pointed it out to me as well.

Confirmation of reply: