Flyers have no heart....

Flyers have no heart....

Josh
Josh

May 7th, 2012, 1:33 am #1

They deserve whatever outcome they get. Everyone wants to put the C on Giroux, the way I see it if he truly was Captain material he'd find a way to get the team motivated.
As a Flyers fan, this is embarrassing to watch

Greg
Greg

May 7th, 2012, 2:16 am #2

They have heart. Face it the devils are playing better. (nm)

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

May 7th, 2012, 2:29 am #3

fff

BwB
BwB

May 7th, 2012, 2:56 am #4

A team with no heart would be satisfied, right?

Which is it FFF?

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

May 7th, 2012, 3:31 am #5

Got a better one or you just looking for a place to vent????

To answer your question a team that is satisfied is unmotivated. Shots on goal in a must win game after two periods were 33-13 for Jersey are they that much better? More talented? I think not. Are the Flyers tired after a week off between rounds? I think not. So why are they so lethargic and seemingly unmotivated and unwilling to pay the price to win. The Pens series was a huge emotional drain lots of hate for the opposition, a team most picked to win the cup and knocking them off was a huge accomplishment for a young team when no one gave them a chance. Why the surprise with my position the Flyers would not be the first young team to go through a "we were just happy to get there year". They went one better even, they beat the team favored to win it all. Not saying this is something they think about, that it is a conscious thing but it could be a unconscious feeling of satisfaction after beating the cup favorites and a hated rival.
Got a better reason for their unmotivated play? Great share it with me, I may not agree but I'll read and consider it!

fff

WCF
WCF

May 7th, 2012, 10:59 am #6

FFF, I agree with just about everything you said, being the tankers was their Stanley Cup this year. I think they became satisfied with themselves and thought they didn't have to do anything else at this point, they beat the hated tankers and Crysby, what more could be expected of them? I actually felt the same way anything else after that series was gravy this year. Nobody, including ourselves, expected this team to win the Stanley Cup this year. They overachieved beating the tankers and the horrific play in this series just supports the position that this team is still a work in progress. Even though they beat the tankers, they had some really rough patches in that series and when faced with a more disciplined team like NJ, all the Flyers warts became very visible. NJ has been their Waterloo most of the time because a team with a determined, disciplined overall game is something the Flyers simply can't handle.

The season is now over, but their main focus in the off-season like I said a number of other times has to be to upgrade and improve this defense. Then get a checking forward and instill some kind of the system and discipline that requires complete buy-in. As I type this, I'm not really sure that the Flyers organization can never come up with such a system because after all these decades, it sure seems like they have no interest or ability to do so.

Outland
Outland

May 7th, 2012, 1:01 pm #7

It's easy to say they weren't expected to win and leave it at that but that's not the whole ball of wax. There's a big difference between what was expected of them at season start when they were an unknown quantity and the expectations at year end when it was known what they actually had & could do.

I don't buy any of the satisfied stuff. Whenever I participated in any sport or endeavor I hated to lose anybody. I was a good sport when I did but it didn't mean I was satisfied just doing well & maybe beating out a few others. Athletes really do care. What they do is their JOB and LIVLIHOOD and not a single player gets to the highest level by suddenly being satidfied after one round no matter who the opponent might have been.

Not so sure about needing to get another checker as they have some players like Talbot and Couturier that already have those makings. Wellwood and Rinaldo and Harry Z also have shown possibilities as could a player like Wayne Simmonds.

Defense? Replacing the missing #1 type will be tough & they have a big decision to make concerning Carle especially with Timonen on his last legs / years of that big contract. For all the flak Carle gets his stock around the league is pretty high as he plays big minutes and isn't a bad offensive D type. Young guys like Gus & Bourdon are just getting their sea legs under them and they could easily work with a vet in the 3rd pair roles.

MUCH of everything will depend on the conditions set by a new CBA.

Outs

Greg
Greg

May 7th, 2012, 2:00 pm #8

If the Flyers resign Matty Cakes I won't watch another game till he's gone (nm)

Freak
Freak

May 7th, 2012, 3:01 pm #9

It's easy to say they weren't expected to win and leave it at that but that's not the whole ball of wax. There's a big difference between what was expected of them at season start when they were an unknown quantity and the expectations at year end when it was known what they actually had & could do.

I don't buy any of the satisfied stuff. Whenever I participated in any sport or endeavor I hated to lose anybody. I was a good sport when I did but it didn't mean I was satisfied just doing well & maybe beating out a few others. Athletes really do care. What they do is their JOB and LIVLIHOOD and not a single player gets to the highest level by suddenly being satidfied after one round no matter who the opponent might have been.

Not so sure about needing to get another checker as they have some players like Talbot and Couturier that already have those makings. Wellwood and Rinaldo and Harry Z also have shown possibilities as could a player like Wayne Simmonds.

Defense? Replacing the missing #1 type will be tough & they have a big decision to make concerning Carle especially with Timonen on his last legs / years of that big contract. For all the flak Carle gets his stock around the league is pretty high as he plays big minutes and isn't a bad offensive D type. Young guys like Gus & Bourdon are just getting their sea legs under them and they could easily work with a vet in the 3rd pair roles.

MUCH of everything will depend on the conditions set by a new CBA.

Outs
1) I think that the Flyers miss the Sean Couturier from the first round that stopped Malkin. I am not blaming the kid, he is a kid. I think the Flyers where hoping he would shadow Parise or Kovi and shut them down, but he hasn't been able to do that.

2) Pronger and Mes and their rough and tumble ways has been missed. Mez will be back, and that changes the whole dynamic of the defence.

I would like to see any team in the league deal with a team who accumulated over 100 points and be missing 2 of their top 4 dmen. Excuse or not it is a reality.

I would be very disappointed if Pronger is not replaced by Suter. We have the cash, the icetime, and the need for a player like Suter, and Homer should be bending hell and heaven to get him signed.

I would not be sad to see Carle go, and a player like Ference picked up. Would help with cash, although we all know Pronger is not coming back and his money can be used. I think our top 6 could be:

Suter/ Timmonen
Coburn/ Mez
Gus/ Ference type player

Lilypad

Kimmo has one year left so replacing his minutes need to be addressed soon.

Loki
Loki

May 7th, 2012, 4:02 pm #10

They deserve whatever outcome they get. Everyone wants to put the C on Giroux, the way I see it if he truly was Captain material he'd find a way to get the team motivated.
As a Flyers fan, this is embarrassing to watch
I suppose you want to trade Giroux for a bag of pucks now.

Confirmation of reply: