Devils system makes Flyers look lackadaisical...

Devils system makes Flyers look lackadaisical...

The Animal
The Animal

May 2nd, 2012, 3:29 am #1

I must agree that the Flyers "looked" unintersted at time tonight. I think that had a lot to do with the Devils system. I think the following quote from the 700 level sums it up well...

"Everything the Flyers did tonight was along the perimeter. Credit to the Devils for funneling play outside, but the Flyers did not seem willing to pay the price to get to the dangerous areas in front of Martin Brodeur (who was called on to make just 19 saves). Perhaps the Flyers were too mindful of Brodeur's puck-handling ability, which affected their dump-ins, but each time they played a puck to the corner a Devils defenseman was there to win the puck.

Peter Laviolette will likely need to make some adjustments to his game plan in order to get his forwards in deep on the Devils defensemen. The Flyers clearly enjoy an advantage in depth, but that depth is neutralized when the forwards are losing puck battles all game. Not a single Flyer forward stood out tonight as all four lines were effectively muted by the Devils.

Lavvy has one full day to figure out his changes as the series resumes on Thursday in Newark."

The Animal

Sedsey
Sedsey

May 2nd, 2012, 3:45 am #2

Desperation and hard work wins.

hipcheck
hipcheck

May 2nd, 2012, 9:41 am #3

I must agree that the Flyers "looked" unintersted at time tonight. I think that had a lot to do with the Devils system. I think the following quote from the 700 level sums it up well...

"Everything the Flyers did tonight was along the perimeter. Credit to the Devils for funneling play outside, but the Flyers did not seem willing to pay the price to get to the dangerous areas in front of Martin Brodeur (who was called on to make just 19 saves). Perhaps the Flyers were too mindful of Brodeur's puck-handling ability, which affected their dump-ins, but each time they played a puck to the corner a Devils defenseman was there to win the puck.

Peter Laviolette will likely need to make some adjustments to his game plan in order to get his forwards in deep on the Devils defensemen. The Flyers clearly enjoy an advantage in depth, but that depth is neutralized when the forwards are losing puck battles all game. Not a single Flyer forward stood out tonight as all four lines were effectively muted by the Devils.

Lavvy has one full day to figure out his changes as the series resumes on Thursday in Newark."

The Animal

carrying the puck into the zone when on the attack, instead of dumping and chasing? 50-75% of the time, Brodeur is going to handle the puck behind the net, and getting it out to one of his guys, thus neutralizing any offensive threat. It's just an automatic turnover most of the time.

I've always hated dump and chase. Maybe the trap that the Debbies play neutralizes carrying it into the o-ffensive zone, and dunp and chase is the only way to get it in. But it sure didn't work last night.

Might be worth a try, Lava. Nothing to lose after that fiasco. Flyers looked like they just didn't have an answer all night.

Icer
Icer

May 2nd, 2012, 4:15 pm #4

The Animal

of course the "system" worked against a team unwilling to skate, hit, take hits, tough it out.

Why didn't "the system" work in the last 2 periods of game 1 and the first 18 minutes of game 2?

Credit the Devils, they played well. But the system didn't make anyone look lackadaisical, the Flyers WERE lackadaisical - when they weren't flat out asleep.

dl
dl

May 2nd, 2012, 8:05 pm #5

Icer almost every time the flyers lose, I see blame it on a lacadasical or a lack of effort by the Flyers. Animal is right on, and if you play the game as you you say you do, I don't understand how you can't comprehend that.

Credit the Devils, you are right on there, and the Flyers ,not the Devils are lucky it is 1-1 right now. The system in game one for the Devils kept them in the game and got them to OT. Could it have been the system did NOT work as WELL for the Devils, becasue they were more tired than the Flyers in the second and third period coming off a tough series.

Did we not see this same as you and others call it (lackadasical effort,) against trap teams ie Tampa Bay? In reality the Flyers were frustrated by the Devils and frustration causes players to try and do too much and loose discipline. In contrast to a non disciplined Pens team, the Flyer's will need to create their own momentum and maintain it.

Icer
Icer

May 2nd, 2012, 8:45 pm #6

and the players, the coach, the sportswriters, national media - everyone else who also said the Flyers lost last night because they had no jump, played slow and soft, threw out a stinker. Haven't found one yet who thinks it was the devils' system that caused the Flyers to stop skating.

That system that got the Devils to OT? You mean the one that allowed them to jump out to an early lead when the Flyers were - yes, playing poorly - then couldn't hold the lead when the Flyers decided to play? Still took a weak goal by Brysz to get them to OT. The system the devils played in the first period when the Flyers controlled the game - and took a lead, that they gave up by standing around watching.

If it were so simple - the devils play a system the Flyers can't beat - then how DID the Flyers win any games against them this year? They split, if you give the devils credit for a SO win. Flyers averaged 3 GPG - more than the devils average, so it's not like the system is a great match against the Flyers.

The Devils play a solid defensive system, far better than seen in round one. But that's not what beat the Flyers, and it's not enough to take round two from them.

Yes, I do still play. It's partly how I recognize it when I see guys NOT playing.

dl
dl

May 2nd, 2012, 9:59 pm #7

Not all.....try listening and reading the other teams sports writers and coaches. You might just find out they think their team is pretty good and can acturally win. As for the media, wait till after a series and then you will get the real reason a team won rather than an opinion.

Gee you make it soo simple, listen to the experts and if they are wrong it is because the favored team was lacadasical. So Jersey didn't win, the Flyers lost!!!!! All PL has to tell the Flyers is hustle more, don't be lacadasical, get your head out your arse. No substitutions, NO adustments...just don't be lacadasical?????????? Heck you and I can do that.

So see if I got it.....The Favored Pens by MOST experts were too lacadasical against the Flyers? And how about Vancouver, becoming so lackadasical against the Sports writers and experts underdog Kings? I got it !!!!

What I am saying is the Flyers CAN beat that system, but Jersey has also proven they can beat the Flyers system. AND NO, I am not saying it is simple, but rather far from that. I just believe in giving credit when credit is due! I am just in awe people feel that it is hands down the Flyers series when during the regular season they went toe to toe, and after an 82 game season the Flyers had one more point.

Icer
Icer

May 3rd, 2012, 2:49 am #8

pot?

I don't know what game you were watching, but sorry, the Flyers played like absolute crap last night. And I've got plenty of people who know far more about the game than I who say the same.

And I don't know who's posts you are reading because I've had no problem giving credit to other teams when they beat the Flyers. I DID say the Devils played well last night, more than once. But I also know that's not what made the Flyers stand around and watch them do it.

Facts are facts, whether you dismiss them or not. Flyers have had problems all year with taking periods off. No, I'm NOT the only one who thinks that (oh, that's right, just because most people see it doesn't mean it's true). FACT: Flyers took 2 periods off last night.

But enough about facts - you obviously don't want to hear them, so stay in your fantasy world, believe your Devils made the Flyers play like that. You ought to try actually watching the games, you might learn something.

dl
dl

May 3rd, 2012, 5:10 am #9

you admitted that Jersey was there last night and played WELL. But wait, then you add "FACT is the Flyers took two periods off"? Did I read YOUR above post correctly? So what kind of compliment is that?????

I do want to know facts.....I would like to read good posts or articles, or analysis, that tell the story about matchups and how teams explore other team weaknesses, and what changes are made that made the difference from game to game. Obviously you do NOT and that is fine, you are a fan in every sense, and I truly mean that in a POSITIVE way. I just expected some more insight from you than just saying "we took two periods off!

Oh yea, "taking periods off all year", another good one. Didn't say you were the only one, but They play around 300 periods of hockey in a year and guys take periods off? My take on that would be, YES, ALL PLAYERS DO PLAY AT TIMES WITH LESS INTENSITY. It is so simple to give an answer the Flyers did nOT show up. But WHY man why? Doesn't the other team have anything to do with it? Can I guess your friends are also Flyer fans?

My original post to you, was because you did not agree with the Animal that Jersey played well and Brodeur's stick handling, was a key. So to talk of a fantasy world...in YOUR world, if the Devils did NOT have a hand in making the Flyers play that way, who did? Was it PL that told his team, let's go out and take these last two periods off! Or did the players just all agree to do it together?

d

Icer
Icer

May 3rd, 2012, 3:18 pm #10

seriously.

because you aren't the first one to react to my posting this way.

You tell me it's obvious that I don't like to read posts with analysis, articles, etc.

If anything, I do analysis and research to a fault! When I read the emotional posts here, I try to draw the fan into rational evaluations of strategy, technique, etc. I even answered your initial post with detailed stats about Flyers vs, Devils matchups this year. I'm consatntly posting stats, references to rulebooks, quotes, summaries of information I've gotten from other sites. An engineer by DNA, for me it's all about research, analyze, form an opinion. Yet for some reason, I've gotten flak more than once, from more than one person, about not thinking critically.

I've got no problem with people pointing out my errors, I've even done it to myself. I get that I can come off as arrogant in my fiercely opinionated style. But I can't figure out how I come off uninformed, when I put a lot of effort into reasearch and analysis.

now back to the topic at hand: I don't know how to explain it to you otherwise. Devils played a great game. Their penalty kill strategy is stifling the Flyers PP, and will do so throughout the series. Broduer's stickhandling DID have an affect. But all of that was not the reason the Flyers looked so bad. It forces the Flyers to work harder to win. Tuesday night, the Flyers didn't work at all. They didn't skate, didn't hit, didn't press, lots of standing around. Not because of the Devils great play, in addition to it. They were Flat. There's no analysis for that. Nobody "agrees to it together". But when a couple guys, especially leaders like G come out flat, it's contagious. And nearly impossible to reverse during a game. And every team does it occasionally.

Confirmation of reply: