Tim55

July 19th, 2012, 4:17 pm #1

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638229

Brett Wilson (part owner of the Preds)
via twitter- "Am Aware of philly offer"

Freak
Freak

July 19th, 2012, 5:32 pm #2

Nashville, Tenn. (July 19, 2012) Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement this morning:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.

We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea.

So their intention would be to match, but they can't afford to? Nashville is in a crappy position this morning...if they let him go, the fans lose faith. They will probably not get a player close to Weber with those 4 picks.

If they sign him, they are shelling out so much, they can't afford to sign anyone else. It's a lose / lose situation.

I think they will match, and say they had to.

Homer better not let any of our young guys get within a year of RFA..or this will come back to bite us big time.

Icer
Icer

July 19th, 2012, 6:06 pm #3

"We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match "

then

"we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term"

opens the door for not bankrupting the frnachise being the best decision.

Although Homer might have just handed a hammer and nail to the coffin maker. That up front payment could bankrupt them. Or the fans they would lose for not keeping Suter and Weber could bankrupt them. He almost HAS to do the trade option, even though it will get him less in return than the picks, just for PR. The PReds are in trouble either way.

Which begs the question: is Homer smarter than us, or are we as dumb as Poile. The common theme around here was "why shuoldn't Poile ask too much for Weber, and see if someone steps up?". Homer just stepped around, not up. Had Poile signed Weber or been realistic about a trade, he wouldn't be so screwed right now.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

July 19th, 2012, 6:30 pm #4

Let me just pick my jaw off the floor!

This is Poile's own making, if rumors are to be believed he has been screwing around on the trade front maybe playing the stakeholders against each other and the Flyers got tired of waiting. If Nashville can't match Poile will most certainly have to except what Homer was offering and maybe less. Are teams still allowed to include cash in trades??? I ask because if not then there is very little chance the Preds will match. They are not going to keep Shea and they are not going to pay 27 mil the first yr and then trade him unless they can get back the 27 mil.

fff

Freak
Freak

July 19th, 2012, 7:35 pm #5

At least that is my understanding

Confirmation of reply: