Can't win even when they pitch a shut out...

Can't win even when they pitch a shut out...

Freak
Freak

February 8th, 2012, 3:33 am #1

Almost comical that Breezy doesn't get scored on during the game, and still looses.
This team has to be cursed.

Why would you go with Simmonds during shoot outs?

Why don't they always use guys like Giroux? or Voracek? I have seen too much of guys that wouldn't be considered our best taking the shot when the game is on the line. I just don't get the logic of trotting out guys like Simmonds when they have Giroux, Jagr, and even Voracek sitting there. Bad decisions.

Oh well. One point vs division in the last 3 games. I think the streak is on.

Sedsey
Sedsey

February 8th, 2012, 5:34 am #2

A surefire way to slip out of a playoff spot. The weekend approaches with 3 in 4 days...Tor, NYR, Det...there's a least on loss locked in because they are the Rangers bitches...Detroit has been struggling lately but should get healthy with the way it is set up...I expect a 5-2 win for Detroit there...can they beat the Leafs?

I could see 2-4-2 by the end of it.

Geez, when you have to talk about how great it was to try hard in a 0-0 tie you know things are rotting. I heard Briere on WIP (I finally got to listen to the third over the net) and it was like they had beaten a tough opponent from the hard sell they were giving. Granted, I did not see the game because my provider sucks *** and lies to its customers when one calls in (Shaw Direct), and perhaps Nabokov was that hot, but seems pretty lameass to me to be crawling for praise after dropping another game while all divisional opponents outside of NYR pick up points.

WCF
WCF

February 8th, 2012, 11:57 am #3

Almost comical that Breezy doesn't get scored on during the game, and still looses.
This team has to be cursed.

Why would you go with Simmonds during shoot outs?

Why don't they always use guys like Giroux? or Voracek? I have seen too much of guys that wouldn't be considered our best taking the shot when the game is on the line. I just don't get the logic of trotting out guys like Simmonds when they have Giroux, Jagr, and even Voracek sitting there. Bad decisions.

Oh well. One point vs division in the last 3 games. I think the streak is on.
Read the quotes and you'd think they won 6-0, great effort according to them even though they had a big 0 against a team they had to beat to break this down spiral. Bottom line is sure they had 45 shots, but created absolutely little to no traffic in front of Naby, we made it easy on him.

So that's 0 for the NY area the last three and them beating the Preds is a headscratcher, that seems like light years ago. Breezy gets a shutout, but still can't stop shootout attempts, he's only stopped 20% of the attempts he's seen this year. Just awful. This one now says he has to practice stopping breakaways/shootout goals. Does anyone else find this strange? Why haven't you been practicing this EVERY day???? I guess that won't help because his own shooters can't score shootout goals anyway!

NJ now has one more win than us and will pass us shortly. Thanks to the Habs, Tankers don't pass us, yet. The smell of a Flyer second half meltdown is upon us. They change some of the faces, but history repeats itself in Flyerdom.

Icer
Icer

February 8th, 2012, 4:43 pm #4

A surefire way to slip out of a playoff spot. The weekend approaches with 3 in 4 days...Tor, NYR, Det...there's a least on loss locked in because they are the Rangers bitches...Detroit has been struggling lately but should get healthy with the way it is set up...I expect a 5-2 win for Detroit there...can they beat the Leafs?

I could see 2-4-2 by the end of it.

Geez, when you have to talk about how great it was to try hard in a 0-0 tie you know things are rotting. I heard Briere on WIP (I finally got to listen to the third over the net) and it was like they had beaten a tough opponent from the hard sell they were giving. Granted, I did not see the game because my provider sucks *** and lies to its customers when one calls in (Shaw Direct), and perhaps Nabokov was that hot, but seems pretty lameass to me to be crawling for praise after dropping another game while all divisional opponents outside of NYR pick up points.
They absolutely owned the Isles, all night, they came out strong, played 65 minutes - everything they need to do to win against most any team.

Nabakov was that good. Should have been 5-0.

WCF
WCF

February 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm #5

I'm just giving it to you as you give it to me , but all the effort in the world doesn't count unless you have some results and they ain't getting it. They are in a classic Flyers slump, when they play decent, they lose and when they are awful, they get killed. Until they find a way to have some positive consistency in terms of scoring, we will see more of the same. I don't include the D and g-tending because they will give up mega goals as they have all year.

Icer
Icer

February 8th, 2012, 4:55 pm #6

Read the quotes and you'd think they won 6-0, great effort according to them even though they had a big 0 against a team they had to beat to break this down spiral. Bottom line is sure they had 45 shots, but created absolutely little to no traffic in front of Naby, we made it easy on him.

So that's 0 for the NY area the last three and them beating the Preds is a headscratcher, that seems like light years ago. Breezy gets a shutout, but still can't stop shootout attempts, he's only stopped 20% of the attempts he's seen this year. Just awful. This one now says he has to practice stopping breakaways/shootout goals. Does anyone else find this strange? Why haven't you been practicing this EVERY day???? I guess that won't help because his own shooters can't score shootout goals anyway!

NJ now has one more win than us and will pass us shortly. Thanks to the Habs, Tankers don't pass us, yet. The smell of a Flyer second half meltdown is upon us. They change some of the faces, but history repeats itself in Flyerdom.
Flyers played an EXCELLENT game. Unfortunately Nabakov was excellenter.

sure, they could have gotten more traffic in front of him. But he made at least 2 great stops through screens by Simmonds. The shorthanded save on Talbot was huge. Stoned Jagr on a great 1 timer in close. Took two from G that few goalies would even have been in position for. There were a couple of defensie errors, a couple shots wide. But they outshot the Isles 45-18. Bryz pitched a SO. G played his best game in weeks. Only took 3 penalties. Outhit them.... Nabakov flat out stole this game, no doubt.

They have played far worse games against far better teams - and won.

Could they have played better? Sure, every team can, every game, no one is perfect. It seems that's what you're looking for.

Icer
Icer

February 8th, 2012, 5:02 pm #7

I'm just giving it to you as you give it to me , but all the effort in the world doesn't count unless you have some results and they ain't getting it. They are in a classic Flyers slump, when they play decent, they lose and when they are awful, they get killed. Until they find a way to have some positive consistency in terms of scoring, we will see more of the same. I don't include the D and g-tending because they will give up mega goals as they have all year.
last night's game had nothing to do with the Flyers, or any scoring slump. it was a simple case of a goalie playing great.

I will say, however, that there are a few things that could be tweaked. Carle and Coburn, while playing a bit better, are still making some dumb plays. Bourdon and Gusstafson -rookies- are 3&4 right now. But if it's a confidence issue (looks like it), you can't demote them. And What is Lava thinking - Hartnell on the ice 4 on 4? He hasn't scored much lately, and #hartnelldown in OT means a 4-3 break the other way. Why put your best shooter last in the SO, knowing their goalie hasn't allowed any SO goals all year, yours has only stopped 2? Why Simmonds in the fairy dance at all?

WCF
WCF

February 8th, 2012, 5:29 pm #8

Flyers played an EXCELLENT game. Unfortunately Nabakov was excellenter.

sure, they could have gotten more traffic in front of him. But he made at least 2 great stops through screens by Simmonds. The shorthanded save on Talbot was huge. Stoned Jagr on a great 1 timer in close. Took two from G that few goalies would even have been in position for. There were a couple of defensie errors, a couple shots wide. But they outshot the Isles 45-18. Bryz pitched a SO. G played his best game in weeks. Only took 3 penalties. Outhit them.... Nabakov flat out stole this game, no doubt.

They have played far worse games against far better teams - and won.

Could they have played better? Sure, every team can, every game, no one is perfect. It seems that's what you're looking for.
You are 100% right, EVERY team has it's down periods, but NO team has second halfs like the Phila Flyers. They are so predictable, it's almost laughable. Now even when they outplay a team, they have the excuse that the other goalie was sizzling. I'd like a dollar every time I've heard these guys use the same excuse for losing a game they should have won.

You could see this coming weeks ago, how G goes, so goes the Flyers. Harts picked up the slack for a bit and it masked that our best player is not scoring like he did. He's not the entire team, but he is the engine of the offense.

Freak
Freak

February 8th, 2012, 5:34 pm #9

last night's game had nothing to do with the Flyers, or any scoring slump. it was a simple case of a goalie playing great.

I will say, however, that there are a few things that could be tweaked. Carle and Coburn, while playing a bit better, are still making some dumb plays. Bourdon and Gusstafson -rookies- are 3&4 right now. But if it's a confidence issue (looks like it), you can't demote them. And What is Lava thinking - Hartnell on the ice 4 on 4? He hasn't scored much lately, and #hartnelldown in OT means a 4-3 break the other way. Why put your best shooter last in the SO, knowing their goalie hasn't allowed any SO goals all year, yours has only stopped 2? Why Simmonds in the fairy dance at all?
Whether we like it or not, the shootout is worth points, and the best guys on the team should be doing them. The object is get as many points as possible....and Lava is failing with his handling of the shootouts.

Icer
Icer

February 8th, 2012, 8:32 pm #10

You are 100% right, EVERY team has it's down periods, but NO team has second halfs like the Phila Flyers. They are so predictable, it's almost laughable. Now even when they outplay a team, they have the excuse that the other goalie was sizzling. I'd like a dollar every time I've heard these guys use the same excuse for losing a game they should have won.

You could see this coming weeks ago, how G goes, so goes the Flyers. Harts picked up the slack for a bit and it masked that our best player is not scoring like he did. He's not the entire team, but he is the engine of the offense.
I told you they would slump right around now. And I even told you why. A few posts ago, I told you when it would end.

And when a goalie does what Nabakov did, it's not an excuse, it's a reason

You have to stop looking at the end result before deciding how terrible the team is. And please, the "it's ALWAYS been, it ALWAYS will be" rant - this team is so NOT the Richards/Carter team they should have changed sweater colors.

Confirmation of reply: