Bryz speaks - To RF

Bryz speaks - To RF

Outland
Outland

May 11th, 2012, 1:09 pm #1

Flyers' Bryzgalov opens up to Russian newspaper

By Sam Carchidi

Inquirer Staff Writer

Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov refused to talk to reporters during the team's postseason media day Thursday, but he candidly told a Russian newspaper he was fed up with the scrutiny he was under during his first year with the club.

"What I lived through this season I wouldn't wish to an enemy," he said to reporter Natalia Bragilevskaya of SovSport. ". . . I need to keep working. I understand the fans. They paid their money and want the show. But many forget that we are not robots, but living people. We have feelings, worries."

Bryzgalov had an up-and-down first season with the Flyers, and he allowed a brutal goal - it proved to be the game-winner - as the Flyers were eliminated by New Jersey, 3-1, in Game 5 of the conference semifinals Tuesday.

"I got very tired this season, to be honest," he said. ". . . Now I know what it's like to be a goaltender in Philadelphia. Maybe from the outside it looks like there's nothing to it. You only realize it on your own."

On the whole, Bryzgalov played well in the New Jersey series.

"It's easy to turn away when the club is going through tough times," he said. "But if you're wearing orange sweaters, then support Philadelphia until the very end! Don't denounce your team. There won't be a different one. And I know that the Flyers have dedicated fans who understand hockey and will always support."

Bryzgalov said he gained "invaluable experience" this season that was "difficult to describe with words. It is a psychology, a new view on life."

Asked about the scrutiny he was under in Philadelphia, Bryzgalov said, "It is difficult" and that "my face is everywhere. Everyone is talking about me. 'Bryzgalov played well,' 'Philadelphia won, but Bryz made a mistake again,' 'Yes, he wasn't scored against but could have been'. . . Guys, but who doesn't make mistakes? And how many [pucks] did I catch before then? But very few notice that. People are so concentrated on the negative that they only see the bad in me. But I think you need to be kinder to each other."

Bryzgalov, who has eight years left on a $51 million deal, said he has never considered asking to be traded.

"I will not give in when facing difficulties," he said. "I have eight more years to work under my contract with Philadelphia. If I am criticized, then I will endure it. You can't tie up people's tongues. It is their right to let the emotions go."

Bryzgalov said he wanted to make sure the fans knew he wasn't being critical of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with a good bit of what he said especially the fans focus on the negativity. Because he got a lot of money people expected perfection & when he had some problems the hate was thick in the air. He took a lot of flak but not much was said about those who gave him that money including the guy that could have been GM of the Year, Paul Holmgren.

I saw Holmgren's comments about Bryz having to stop pucks and it isn't Comedy Central. Only ONE reporter added in that Holmgren was smiling and laughing when he said it. Makes a world of difference in the uptake. Maybe Bryz goofs around because it kept him loose and took some edge off? Who knows.

Philly is a rough place to play even when you winning. Mike Schmidt (IMO,the greatest 3rd baseman of all time) said "Philadelphia is the only city, where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day."

Amen to that

Outs

ABQ Flyer
ABQ Flyer

May 11th, 2012, 1:23 pm #2

We do focus far too much on the negative... hell, we're guilty of it here on the Forum!

Rob

WCF
WCF

May 11th, 2012, 2:02 pm #3

Not me!! Yes I guess this is true and I'm guilty of it. That being said, this team has given us plenty of fodder to chew on over the last 37 years!

Freak
Freak

May 11th, 2012, 4:57 pm #4

We do focus far too much on the negative... hell, we're guilty of it here on the Forum!

Rob
but his head wasn't even in the games. You can't expect a big break from the fans when you are heralded as the savoir goalie coming in after 30 years of has beens/ nots, and then not even having a SP or GAA in the top 30 of the league. He signed for big money, played like he didn't know how to, and got caught up being a clown on TV instead of focussing on his game and trying to learn the new system he is in. He made that contract look awful, and was an embarrassment to the team. HE deserved the criticism he got.

He played better in March, and stopped the clown act. The fans(most, not me) bought in and he was cheered. The series winning goal was probably the crappiest goal in franchise history for a series winning goal. Blame Timmonen all you want...Breezy shot it right at the Devil player. He could have just covered it.

He lost it again in the playoffs, and rebounded a bit in the second round, but at no time was he worth the contract that he signed. At no time during the playoffs this year did I feel safe with a 2 goal lead, let alone a 1 goal lead. At no time did he steal the game for us.

He was a disappointment above the team, and from the comments, he kinda sounds like he doesn't want to come back. I know he will be, but he has got to be much better than he showed this year.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

May 11th, 2012, 11:35 pm #5

By Sam Carchidi

Inquirer Staff Writer

Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov refused to talk to reporters during the team's postseason media day Thursday, but he candidly told a Russian newspaper he was fed up with the scrutiny he was under during his first year with the club.

"What I lived through this season I wouldn't wish to an enemy," he said to reporter Natalia Bragilevskaya of SovSport. ". . . I need to keep working. I understand the fans. They paid their money and want the show. But many forget that we are not robots, but living people. We have feelings, worries."

Bryzgalov had an up-and-down first season with the Flyers, and he allowed a brutal goal - it proved to be the game-winner - as the Flyers were eliminated by New Jersey, 3-1, in Game 5 of the conference semifinals Tuesday.

"I got very tired this season, to be honest," he said. ". . . Now I know what it's like to be a goaltender in Philadelphia. Maybe from the outside it looks like there's nothing to it. You only realize it on your own."

"It's easy to turn away when the club is going through tough times," he said. "But if you're wearing orange sweaters, then support Philadelphia until the very end! Don't denounce your team. There won't be a different one. And I know that the Flyers have dedicated fans who understand hockey and will always support."

Bryzgalov said he gained "invaluable experience" this season that was "difficult to describe with words. It is a psychology, a new view on life."

Asked about the scrutiny he was under in Philadelphia, Bryzgalov said, "It is difficult" and that "my face is everywhere. Everyone is talking about me. 'Bryzgalov played well,' 'Philadelphia won, but Bryz made a mistake again,' 'Yes, he wasn't scored against but could have been'. . . Guys, but who doesn't make mistakes? And how many [pucks] did I catch before then? But very few notice that. People are so concentrated on the negative that they only see the bad in me. But I think you need to be kinder to each other."

Bryzgalov, who has eight years left on a $51 million deal, said he has never considered asking to be traded.

"I will not give in when facing difficulties," he said. "I have eight more years to work under my contract with Philadelphia. If I am criticized, then I will endure it. You can't tie up people's tongues. It is their right to let the emotions go."

Bryzgalov said he wanted to make sure the fans knew he wasn't being critical of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with a good bit of what he said especially the fans focus on the negativity. Because he got a lot of money people expected perfection & when he had some problems the hate was thick in the air. He took a lot of flak but not much was said about those who gave him that money including the guy that could have been GM of the Year, Paul Holmgren.

I saw Holmgren's comments about Bryz having to stop pucks and it isn't Comedy Central. Only ONE reporter added in that Holmgren was smiling and laughing when he said it. Makes a world of difference in the uptake. Maybe Bryz goofs around because it kept him loose and took some edge off? Who knows.

Philly is a rough place to play even when you winning. Mike Schmidt (IMO,the greatest 3rd baseman of all time) said "Philadelphia is the only city, where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day."

Amen to that

Outs
STOP THE PHUCKING PUCK LIKE A $51 million goalie. GOD his whining makes me sick. The fans of the Flyers only want a goalie who does his job, THAT IS IT!!! OH yeah we want too much Ilya poor you. PLEASE ASK FOR A TRADE!!! You think there would be any takers right now??? You think it would be because the horrible Flyer fans expecting you to stop the freaking puck??? Surprise Sherlock it would be your horrible play that would prevent a trade that and that elite goalie contract. This guy is as mentally tough as my 6yr old!!! I still think Ilya can bounce back next yr but not if he isn't willing to look in the mirror.

Maybe next yr he will do his job but this yr he did not. For all those who say it is his defense that is the problem then why pay the goalie at all if he is not the one responsible for stopping the puck??? He had some moments this yr but then he would do something or say something stupid that would bring a sh-_it storm down on himself. If he were to stand up and be a man about things instead of blaming the fans, if he said he sucked and it was a hard adjustment coming here. If he said he understands the fans frustration with his play that they want and deserve a goalie who can stop the puck. If he stood up and took responsibility for not being mentally prepared to play I am pretty sure the fans could get behind him. This whining isn't going to do anything except cause him misery.

fff

Freak
Freak

May 12th, 2012, 1:27 am #6

I agree 100%. If he doesn't want to get criticised, save the puck. Earn your paycheck...

I do not feel sorry for him at all. Yes, we were disappointed in him and gave him a rough go...but he brought it onto himself. As I stated above..I got the impression that he was considering asking for a trade....I hope so.

Russian Flyer
Russian Flyer

May 12th, 2012, 3:50 am #7

He was not even close to considering asking for a trade.

Freak
Freak

May 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm #8

just the comments along the line of not asking for a trade, made me think that the thought was already there, just that he had not actually requested it."Bryzgalov, who has eight years left on a $51 million deal, said he has never considered asking to be traded." For a few reasons..he is already embarrassed, and knows he is out of his league, and two, because he knows no one in their right mind would trade for him and that contract. It is Yashinesk in length and money. And now he knows the break in year is over. He must perform next year or this is going to get nasty. Homer is on record as saying he expected more.

If he didn't and wants to stay...he can't expect a break. He is in a tough market to play in, and if he didn't want to be questioned like he has then maybe he should have thought twice about signing here. He had to know he was going to be criticized for crap play in Philadelphia.

"What I lived through this season I wouldn't wish to an enemy,"
I don't like to read comments like these from our #1 goalie. What was he expecting? That he can take up over 10% of our salary cap, play like crap and be treated like a king? Is he surprised that people want him to earn his contract? That he sucked for the most part of the season, and did cost the team points and momentum with his crappy play caused them to boo. You know what. I will more than happily get paid $10 000 000 to have 50000 people a night boo and hiss at me for 365 straight days. Hurl insults, make fun, ask me things I don't want to think about...I would be happy to do it. He came across as a baby..oh..poor me...my feelings are hurt. The guys a joke, embarrassment, and not the right fit for the Flyers.

And ohh...in my opinion..the fans want so much to cheer a winner. They want so much for the next big signing to finally be the final piece of the puzzle. They want so much for the next goalie to finally be the #1 we have not had in so, so long. They booed, not only at him, but at the whole situation. That the big piece does not fit. That the contract sucks. That the goalie is not living up to the signing. They booed because they are disappointed with the outcome.

I just don't get why the Flyers can not seem to be able to draft a great goalie. Look at the other teams in the league. Florida has a great prospect in Markstrom. Schneider in Vancouver. Lindmark(sp)in Nashville. Bernier and Quick in LA. How come all the other teams in the league seem to find that gem in goal, yet the Flyers, even when drafting them in the first round still can not seem to be to draft a quality guy. Instead they sign retread after retread, or a guy who has never done anything...Biron, Cechmanek, Beezer, Breezy. How many quality guys has Montreal found in the last 30 years? Roy, Price, Halak, Theodore....I would take any of those four guys over Breezy.

Pelle31
Pelle31

May 13th, 2012, 12:57 pm #9

By Sam Carchidi

Inquirer Staff Writer

Amen to that

Outs
that's what he's being paid. when you get that money you have to earn it. he hasn't. probably the best player in the Jersey series but he was also good for a softie a game. that isn't good enough to win the Cup.

I still believe if they have a buyout in the new CBA you show him the door. he doesn't have the mental makeup to put the team on his back. Let him play a philosopher somewhere else.

Freak
Freak

May 13th, 2012, 2:38 pm #10

Homers comments make me think we are stuck with him, no matter what.

Confirmation of reply: