Article on Predators Finances

Article on Predators Finances

Tim55
Tim55

July 22nd, 2012, 4:02 am #1

Brett
Brett

July 22nd, 2012, 4:13 am #2

$60 million kicked in by the owners and nearly $40 million by taxpayers to cover losses over the last 5 years. A possible lockout looming, meaning no income at all, and an offer sheet that will cost the team $28 million in 1 calendar year with the stroke of a pen. I know the one owner is apparently one of Canada's wealthiest, but he didn't get there by throwing money down the drain.

That article convinced me...they aren't matching. Only question now is will it be picks or a trade package.

Tim55
Tim55

July 22nd, 2012, 5:26 am #3

Convinced me too when i read it, I think Poile is gonna take the full 7 days to try and get
the best deal possible but think Homer has a list of guys for Poile to pick from. Poile is gonna try
to pry what he can and make Homer think he will match if he doesnt get a deal he likes but dont think
homer will bite. Homer & the flyers brass knows of their financial situation thats why the deal was
constructed the way it was. But at the same time thinks homer is gonna try to make a deal with them
cause they have a good relationship.But with that saying Dont think Schenn or Coots will be
involved and obviously not Giroux, Guess we will know soon

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 22nd, 2012, 11:03 am #4

with all the whining I am waiting to hear from them. wonder if they try to snuff this out?

The Freak
The Freak

July 22nd, 2012, 1:55 pm #5

If they were going to do that, they would have already.

I have also read that the contract meets the standards set out after the Kovochuk contract, so they have no reason to say they are circumventing the cap.

I still think Nashville matches, and will find a way to get it done.

Getting Weber would be the ultimate prize this off season, and would seem like a perfect fit for the Flyers. Halfway through the wait, but good lord it is taking forever

Loki
Loki

July 22nd, 2012, 4:16 pm #6

$60 million kicked in by the owners and nearly $40 million by taxpayers to cover losses over the last 5 years. A possible lockout looming, meaning no income at all, and an offer sheet that will cost the team $28 million in 1 calendar year with the stroke of a pen. I know the one owner is apparently one of Canada's wealthiest, but he didn't get there by throwing money down the drain.

That article convinced me...they aren't matching. Only question now is will it be picks or a trade package.
"There also have been instances of professional sports franchises misleading the public regarding their profitability. Most recently, the Florida Marlins, who were lobbying the city of Miami for a new stadium, said they needed help because they werent turning a profit. But financial documents were later leaked to the media, and showed the team was making millions."

Unless you see the books, you can't tell what's going on.

Hell, it wasn't too long ago that Bill Giles told Philadelphia that the Phillies were a small market team and would never spend money.

Confirmation of reply: