A few names that jump out looking at remaining UFA's

A few names that jump out looking at remaining UFA's

Freak
Freak

July 6th, 2012, 7:33 pm #1

Cam Barker..D...26...used to have potential..was rewarded a huge contract that he didn't deserve and crumbled under the weight of it...might be worth picking up for the 6th position..he would cost less than 2.5 for the year

Scott Hannan..D..33..good zone coverage, but nothing offensively..made a million last year in Calgary

Curtis Foster..D..30...made 1.8 million last year in Minnesota, but is expendable with Suter going there...more of what we have?

Mark Eaton..D..35..like him when he was here, and might be worth the revisit..

Carlo Colaiacovo...D...29..made 2.125 last year, but has had injury issues, but he put up 19 points in 64 games on the defensive minded Blues, and might be able to fill Carle's offensive production..259 games and 106 points in the last 4 years..

Wojtek Wolski...lw..26...has potential, but his desire and training is questioned....made 4 million last year, but I could see him taking 2.5 on a one year as a trial.

Jamie Langenbrunner...rw..36..made 2.750 million last year..known to be a great team guy, and positive attitude in the locker room...could be the veteran presence required..I would at least kick the tires..

Doan is the prize at forward, but he is going to cost a lot, and I am leery of signing a 35 plus guy, as we have seen how well that worked with Pronger.

Pelle31
Pelle31

July 6th, 2012, 8:48 pm #2

the crop is thin and the prices are too high. I think you'd find better deals come trade deadline time or wait for next year free agents where we'd have plenty of cash to make a run at someone we really need. this team needs a top pairing defenseman. The forwards we have need to grow. I think the way to go in this cap era is load up your top two lines. Roll four during the year and wait for the playoffs to start then lean a little heavier on those top two units

CaliFlyer
CaliFlyer

July 6th, 2012, 10:29 pm #3

Cam Barker..D...26...used to have potential..was rewarded a huge contract that he didn't deserve and crumbled under the weight of it...might be worth picking up for the 6th position..he would cost less than 2.5 for the year

Scott Hannan..D..33..good zone coverage, but nothing offensively..made a million last year in Calgary

Curtis Foster..D..30...made 1.8 million last year in Minnesota, but is expendable with Suter going there...more of what we have?

Carlo Colaiacovo...D...29..made 2.125 last year, but has had injury issues, but he put up 19 points in 64 games on the defensive minded Blues, and might be able to fill Carle's offensive production..259 games and 106 points in the last 4 years..

Wojtek Wolski...lw..26...has potential, but his desire and training is questioned....made 4 million last year, but I could see him taking 2.5 on a one year as a trial.

Jamie Langenbrunner...rw..36..made 2.750 million last year..known to be a great team guy, and positive attitude in the locker room...could be the veteran presence required..I would at least kick the tires..

Doan is the prize at forward, but he is going to cost a lot, and I am leery of signing a 35 plus guy, as we have seen how well that worked with Pronger.
He can play at both ends of the ice, and he's got skills and a great attitude. The question would be price and how he holds up these days. I don't recall seeing much of him in recent years.

dl
dl

July 7th, 2012, 12:22 am #4

than what they got except of course for Doan. But if he goes, he will go to the team he wants, and not necessarily the highest bidder.

BwB
BwB

July 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm #5

It's been suggested that Doan was one of the vets that wasn't enthralled with Bryz as a teammate. Could it be that not only is the Bryz contract an albatross, but his presence and/or play is keeping top players away?

Could be a double edged sword.

Freak
Freak

July 7th, 2012, 3:08 pm #6

Would you be willing to sign.

I wouldn't be...that contract is an abortion on the league, and he simply is not going to win us anything. The guy is a head case, and an embarrassment to the Flyers.

dl
dl

July 7th, 2012, 3:42 pm #7

It's been suggested that Doan was one of the vets that wasn't enthralled with Bryz as a teammate. Could it be that not only is the Bryz contract an albatross, but his presence and/or play is keeping top players away?

Could be a double edged sword.
I hope you are wrong!!!

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

July 7th, 2012, 11:52 pm #8

Would you be willing to sign.

I wouldn't be...that contract is an abortion on the league, and he simply is not going to win us anything. The guy is a head case, and an embarrassment to the Flyers.
Breezy sure didn't look very good for most of last yr and he spent way too much energy on things that he couldn't control. He came here billed as the goalie we had been missing and he read his own press too much and when things didn't go as well as he thought they would he felt sorry for himself and blamed everyone but himself. That being said though he has proven that he can stop the puck, his problem is between the ears. Also it is quite common after signing a big money FA contract to stink the first yr with your new team which he did. There is NO reason to believe that he can't get it together in yr two of his deal. I expect Ilya to bounce back nicely this yr based on just the fact that I have seen him play lights out hockey. If he doesn't they should dump Jeff Reese because that is his job to fix this kind of stuff.

fff

Freak
Freak

July 8th, 2012, 2:17 am #9

he has had a 3.00+ gaa in the playoffs, and sub 900 save percentage.

I have no faith in him as out goalie, and hated the signing when we got him. I don't think he fits the teams style at all, and his play this last year was horrid.

To blame the fans because his feelings suffered a boo boo when he was booed for looking like the worst signing in team history, and one of the worst signings in league history (in my opinion, he ranks up there with Yashin), was BS and any ounce of credibilty he had left flew out the window.

I don't give a phuk about his feelings, his thoughts on the friggin universe, or what he feels about the Flyers playing the hotter goalie....he is being paid more money in one year than I will ever make in my life, and he expects me to feel sorry for him because he was booed? He is being paid to do one thing, and that is stop the puck, and he did it well for 2 weeks out of the year. That is not good enough for a guy billed as the best goalie to don Flyers colors.

I have no confidence that he will rebound...how can you say any different? I have no reason to believe he can. He showed nothing last year, and was a flop in Phoenix the last two years he was there. He is Luongo East, and we are stuck with him.

Let me ask you this..what is going to happen to his "fragile mind" when the Flyers stumble out of the gate, and the fans start booing? Oh yeah..we'll all be saying" silly Homer..should have signed 20 dmen to protect Breezy"...what a pile of crap. He is being paid to stop the puck, and so far has not done that. We are tied to this idiot for the next eight years at a stupid cap hit...they couldn't even trade him if they wanted to.

I tell ya FFF, no offence meant at all, but I think having faith in a guy who has now failed, and failed horribly the last three years in the playoffs, is just idiotic. When does it stop being a blip on the map, and start to become the play of the player?

He is a waste of cap space, a waste of a roster spot, and will not win anything for the Flyers.

He is the main reason I am considering tuning out....

In case it is not clear..I am not a fan of him being a Flyer. Especially when his play, and his play alone can effect the team in such a radical way.

I will not cheer for him...he is a waste of skin. My opinion..I have that right.

faithfullyflyers
faithfullyflyers

July 8th, 2012, 5:47 am #10

I just choose to believe it will get better this yr you do not. You seem to have an exorbitant amount of energy invested in this as evidenced by your referral to my faith as idiotic. To which I say I can either do as you are and rant and spew venom towards a guy who doesn't know I exist for the rest of the summer and into the season and possibly for the rest of the yr OR I can choose to believe that things can change and have hope our team will find the ultimate success this yr and have a great summer free of worry and stress and have fun watching this fall and into the new year. If you ask me I think your approach is more idiotic, no offense.

Also if you look at his stats below he had 2 very good yrs his last two in PHX his save % and goals against were both very good and he led the league in shutouts over that time 15 in total for the 2 yrs. Also he started the yr really really really bad and at one point his save % was something like .840 or something stupid like that. So in answer to your question, the reason I CHOOSE to have faith that he will turn it around is because If you look you can see he finished with a save % of .909 which certainly doesn't come close to earning his pay for that yr but when you think about how he started and that he finished with a respectable .909 with 6 shutouts he must have played a lot better in the 2nd half which he did.

2009-10 29 PHX NHL 69 42 20 6 156 1961 1805 .920 2.29
2010-11 30 PHX NHL 68 36 20 10 168 2125 1957 .921 2.48
2011-12 31 PHI NHL 59 33 16 7 141 1554 1413 .909 2.48

You are right if he and the team struggle out of the gate it could be a long season for Ilya and us.

Confirmation of reply: