Oil temp sender

Oil temp sender

March 24th, 2007, 9:56 am #1

Have just aquired a set of gauges consisting of water temp, oil temp and oil press but I can't find anywhere to put the oil temp sender, anyone got any ideas??

Also need to know that if I block off the inlet/outlet to the throttle body coolant pipes if it will cause any hassles at all??

Cheers, Vaughan.

Vaughan
Vaughan

March 29th, 2007, 10:11 am #2

Bumpski

March 29th, 2007, 1:47 pm #3

Have just aquired a set of gauges consisting of water temp, oil temp and oil press but I can't find anywhere to put the oil temp sender, anyone got any ideas??

Also need to know that if I block off the inlet/outlet to the throttle body coolant pipes if it will cause any hassles at all??

Cheers, Vaughan.
Oil temperature is usually measured in the return line from the oil cooler.
If you don't have an oil cooler, well you have a wee problem.
You could fit it to the sump by drilling a hole in the side or through the sump plug but these methods are very agricultural.
If you do fit, or have an oil cooler, plumb an oil thermostat into the lines so that overcooling is prevented.

The coolant lines to the throttle body, are provided to prevent the throttle mechanism from icing up. When at full throttle for some period of time, in humid climates, the air velocity can cause freezing of the butterfly mechanism.
Next time you back off the throttle, it doesn't close and that's when your sphincter moves into overdrive.
Lets' face it, the velocity of the air through the throttle would be sufficient that it would pick up minimal heat from the coolant chamber.
However, the throttle body itself would be warmed to prevent the problem mentioned above.