GT3540 - the truth emerges (take 2)

Boosted frog
Boosted frog

August 9th, 2006, 8:58 am #31

Well I suppose this has been such an interest to me that I have researched many articles on 2L engines benefiting from the GT3540. More importantly, from what I have seen on this forum, a couple of you have dyno curves showing you that the 3540 is infact quite streetable on the FJ20.

However, the information was always quite ambiguous and the only person I have seen with a 3540 take it to the track is the legend himself, Ben Diggles. This being a drag did not help me in the bid to find out whether the 3540 was infact streetable even though Ben did say on one of his posts, that it was so.

The best way ofcourse was to upgrade to one myself. So what is the difference?

Having experienced the stock T03 at first followed by the GT3076R, I had a good background of turbos to compare against with my new 3540.

The T03 was always on boost, and very punchy. The GT3076R was spin all first 2 gears and then hold on after that however came on 1000rpm easily after the T03.

The GT3540 is NOT significantly different in response and i would say its better. It comes on boost earlier but full boost at the same time as my old 3076. This was very surprising.

The best thing is that I make far more power!!!!!!!!! No increase in lag and more power is awesome. Never did I spin third gear before just by planting it (ie not reving and dumping clutch) but now this thing gets sideways from 120kmph where I back off because it begins to go past my 18 psi setting which I had on the old turbo. I think the 1.02 housing maybe in the running because this hits too hard.

So there you have it. The GT3540 in my experience is by fast the best street turbo you can have if you want power. Its no laggier than a GT3076 and has much much more power. Time for a run to the dyno but my gearbox is now dead :S

In a few months when I get back from the USA, I will post back to back dyno graphs of my three turbos. One thing is for sure, this is the best upgrade I have ever done. Dam its fast!!!!!!!!!!!!
Turbo numbers straight from turbobygarrett.

Turbo <font class=caTerm> Cartride </font>
714568-1 706451-5 = 3540 1.06 ex housing
714568-2 706451-5 = 3540 0.82 ex housing
714568-3 706451-5 = 3540 0.63 ex housing

Compressor map

Turbine map

Make sure you get from a reputable proper garrett dealer. I got mine from GCG turbochargers. Make sure the cartridge numbers match or say NO. Make sure it has six large blades on the compressor before you even touch it. Any seller who is serious will answer these questions. I found ATP turbo telling me there is no difference bt 7 and 6 bladed GT30s....so be careful because even people representing turbo companies know jack all.

But if you really want a responsive fast-street turbo, go the 28rs, it is the best. Im going for 1/4 mile work and big hp with streetability only being a mild concern now, though as I said, its easy to drive but sure as hell not as punchy as a smaller turbo low down.

S-power
S-power

August 9th, 2006, 8:40 pm #32

Well I suppose this has been such an interest to me that I have researched many articles on 2L engines benefiting from the GT3540. More importantly, from what I have seen on this forum, a couple of you have dyno curves showing you that the 3540 is infact quite streetable on the FJ20.

However, the information was always quite ambiguous and the only person I have seen with a 3540 take it to the track is the legend himself, Ben Diggles. This being a drag did not help me in the bid to find out whether the 3540 was infact streetable even though Ben did say on one of his posts, that it was so.

Having experienced the stock T03 at first followed by the GT3076R, I had a good background of turbos to compare against with my new 3540.

The T03 was always on boost, and very punchy. The GT3076R was spin all first 2 gears and then hold on after that however came on 1000rpm easily after the T03.

The GT3540 is NOT significantly different in response and i would say its better. It comes on boost earlier but full boost at the same time as my old 3076. This was very surprising.

The best thing is that I make far more power!!!!!!!!! No increase in lag and more power is awesome. Never did I spin third gear before just by planting it (ie not reving and dumping clutch) but now this thing gets sideways from 120kmph where I back off because it begins to go past my 18 psi setting which I had on the old turbo. I think the 1.02 housing maybe in the running because this hits too hard.

So there you have it. The GT3540 in my experience is by fast the best street turbo you can have if you want power. Its no laggier than a GT3076 and has much much more power. Time for a run to the dyno but my gearbox is now dead :S

In a few months when I get back from the USA, I will post back to back dyno graphs of my three turbos. One thing is for sure, this is the best upgrade I have ever done. Dam its fast!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ok thanks Boosted Frog .. What i want is a fast street car but also for the track...i know that i can`t get both things.. A 28 turbo isn`t that a quite small turbo ???

Boosted frog
Boosted frog

August 9th, 2006, 8:52 pm #33

Hey,

the GT28rs is on song before any stock t03 and will make 300rwhp. If you want more power then the GT30R. If you want drag racing power then the 3540.

I think if you want a fast track car, the 28rs is the way to go. After that, suspension is more important.

260DET
260DET

August 10th, 2006, 3:24 am #34

Having gone from a high flowed TO3 to GT28RS never again would anything but a BB turbo go on my car. The RS basically does not lag, can't say the same about the TO3 which also does not deliver near as much power.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 10th, 2006, 8:17 am #35

Be fair , the basic T3 dates back to 1973 and many of its "bastard Hi Flows" are little more than junk .

If we could get our hands on the makings of the TR30R competition turbocharger it would be pretty schmik as well . It uses I believe the 60mm version of the GT28RS's 54mm NS111 turbine and a fairly sophisticated five blade compressor . It has been used on WRC engines and in CART and the Audi R8 Le Mans winning car . If we could have that turbine it would revolutionise the smaller GT30 turbine based turbochargers . That NS111 turbine is what makes the better GT28 BB turbos peform as well as they do . The GT30/35/42 etc turbos would work better in petrol apps if a bit more effort was thrown at their turbines . Their UHP turbines are generally 84 trim though the MK II GT40R (GT4088R) uses the UHP in 78 trim and the High Kost Spec (HKS T51R which is basically a tarted up GT42R) a 76 trim UHP turbine .

Oops , text booking again . My keyboard - I hate it when it does that ...

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 24th, 2006, 10:21 am #36

question why does everyone call this 3540 when garrett list it as gt3582r with that core & housings

September 25th, 2006, 1:06 am #37

Garrett (and the million and one hangers on) used to call this turbo the GT3540R because it uses a GT35 series turbine with a GT40 series compressor . Actually turbos like this and its smaller brother were sometimes called GT35R and GT30R but all that tells you is what turbine series the turbo is based on . Problems occured because people would go and buy a "GT30R" and come home with a GT30/TO4S or a GT3040R which technically are GT30R's but not the real one . So Garrett thought they'd halve the confusion by calling a turbo by its turbine series and its compressor major diametre ie GT3076R or GT3582R . The problem is the real GT3076R and the GT30/TO4S both use 76mm compressors - ok TO4S is ~ 76mm and real or GT37 compressor is ~ 76.2mm .

The propper way is to find the right turbo and identify it by its cartridge number and complete assembly (unit) number . Most are shown at the turbobygarret site under products/turbos etc .

You can now buy them with T3 flanged integral (internal) wastegate genuine Garrett GT35 turbine housings . Would be a reasonably easy bolt up on a DR30 with the std exhaust manifold . I'd also think seriously about port shrouding the compressor cover as this may help it to spool a little sooner .

Garrett US is making small runs of a turbo they call the GT37R which is a Cummins diesel upgrade turbo . In stage 2 form it uses the same 82mm GT40 56T compressor but with a 72.5mm 78 trim HP series turbine instead of the GT35R/GT3540R/GT3582R's 68mm 84 trim UHP series turbine . In stage 1 form it uses an 82 mm 50 trim compressor and has very interesting possibilities .Its based on the GT40 series big shaft BB centre section with a different exhaust housing mounting system (direct bolt instead of bolt and "crab" clamps) so exhaust housings may be an issue . It also uses the GT40 style compressor backplate so the TO4S comp cover probably won't fit without machining mods if at all . The TO4Z's centre section uses the same big shaft bearing pack so assembled in this bearing housing it may be made to suit GT35 or TO4 exhaust housings . Some good things finally coming out of Garrett but the process is s l o w .

Cheers . Keyboard on fire .

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 25th, 2006, 2:37 am #38

doesnt anyone like to help others on this site ? i just removed a gt3582r with .82 a/r fj made 307rwhp at 7000 rpm changed flange to t4 bolted on to4z with turbonetics .84 a/r splitpulse makes power about 250 revs earlier and makes 381rwhp engine is standard. hope this helps everyone who has been trying to make more power i was sick of all the bullsh-t.........

Boosted frog
Boosted frog

September 25th, 2006, 11:38 am #39

WOW,

Bigger turbo, less lag. Dyno sheets?

307 to 381 hp....huge difference...more boost or more ign timing with better fuel. That difference cannot be attributed to changement to t04z alone. So explain the difference in setups please.

Also, t04z from hks or garrett?

For 380hp, t04z is simply overkill....... Diggles makes 600 on 3540 which is still a smaller turbo......

Anonymous
Anonymous

September 26th, 2006, 1:48 pm #40

Yeah big time , a GT3582R in .82 turbine housing should be good for up round 580-600 . A TO4Z (either flavor) is way overkill for 380Hp . In fact the real GT3076R in large turbine housing form could do better if everything else in the engine was set up for it . Way more responsive too .