fj20 chain timing chain rattle

bexi
bexi

5:35 AM - Oct 02, 2006 #1

hey guys was just looking at the page on here that talks about changing the fj timing chain tensioner witha mazda one.... all i wanted to ask was is this the chain tensioner that sits on the front of the motor bottom left side of the head??
once the cover is removed, the tensioner i'm talking about has 2 10mm headed bolts holding it on.
just wanna know if this is it so i can take it off and go for the upgrade

5:56 AM - Oct 02, 2006 #2

Yes thats the one.

I resolved the issue by having a button made to go over the orginal tensioner.

trevor
trevor

9:59 AM - Oct 05, 2006 #3

hey guys was just looking at the page on here that talks about changing the fj timing chain tensioner witha mazda one.... all i wanted to ask was is this the chain tensioner that sits on the front of the motor bottom left side of the head??
once the cover is removed, the tensioner i'm talking about has 2 10mm headed bolts holding it on.
I was going to install the mazda tensioner but was told that the teeth on the mazda one were too long so that the chain tension was alway too tight, washers were placed under the factory tensioner so the when the tensioner is not under pressure it does not retract so far and only has a small distance to travel to put the chain under the correct tension.

Sam
Sam

1:38 PM - Oct 05, 2006 #4

Thats crap about the chain being too tight. For the tensioner to gain another tooth the piston has to be pushed out under normal oil pressure and operating conditions therefore the chain will remain at a tolerable tension. Yes it may remain at its maximum tension, (seen at high revs) even when the engine is turned off, but thats probably a good thing. Well its better then having the chain hitting the rocker cover and other places on start up and leaving metal filings behind.

Another benefit to this is it should also create more accurate camshaft timing throughout the rev range by maintaining a constant amount of slack in the chain hence keeping the cams timed the same.

The only bad thing that might happen is the chain guides wear a tiny bit quicker but these last for 300,000km+ normaly so who cares?

Its not like its going to put soo much tension on the chain it'l snap, unless you go and pretension it with a big assed screwdriver and force the tensioner to take up excess teeth...

bexi
bexi

9:46 PM - Oct 05, 2006 #5

ok guys i've done the install but my question is to those who've done the install aswell.... did you remove all the rubber off the end of the new piston and leave just the metal plate to push against the chain guide (similar to the original hydraulic tensioner) or did you only trim the rubber down??

Bexi
Bexi

2:17 AM - Oct 07, 2006 #6

hey guys... i know my last question hasn't been answered yet but i just wanted to ask another one... i spoke to a guy this mormning who said that the mazda ratchet chain tensioner also requires oil pressure to make it operate properly... so if you bolt it straight in without worrying about oil feed (like i have) it won't last long at all
anyone else got any opinions to add to this?

Boosted frog
Boosted frog

7:15 AM - Oct 07, 2006 #7

Can someone post a pic of what this chain tensioner looks like?

I dont get how it can "catch" teeth though in its name "ratchet" I can kinda guess of it mechanism of action.

Sam
Sam

11:33 AM - Oct 07, 2006 #8

It works much the same way as a self adjusting drum brake

Sam
Sam

11:40 AM - Oct 07, 2006 #9

Oh and bexi i thought that you opened up the oil gallery with a die grinder to match up to the fj20 one so it does get oil pressure behind it?

I haven't done this mod to mine but thought the mazda one has a small oil hole just offset to the standard fj one, so you just modify the gasket and extend the oil passage on the mazda part so it reaches the fj oil hole. I could be wrong but have a look, you should be able to figure it out

Damo
Damo

8:22 PM - Oct 13, 2006 #10

I am definately not a fan of the mazda ratchet tensioner. It has no "give" in the mechanism. I have had two of these break on me. So I modded the FJ tensioner by welding on the end of the piston to make it longer, only giving a few millemeters of slack to the chain, this stops the rattle, and I've had no probs since.