Moderator: chasthor

YB100 engine

Pilchard
Total Fizzy Nut
Pilchard
Total Fizzy Nut

3:01 PM - Feb 02, 2013 #1

Have noticed the YB100 engine has an extra dark green wire separate to the connection block. what do I do with that when fitting to a fizzy? Thanks

mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

6:47 PM - Feb 03, 2013 #2

You must have a late YB stator that has 3 wires from the lighting coil. I'm going to have the same issue when I finally get round to wiring my YB special, so I've tried to think it through. However I've not done any of this so treat it as guesswork.

Looking at the late YB wiring diagram. The seperate green wire is used for charging the battery via the rectifier when the lights are off.

When the lights are switched on, the green/red wire is connected to the rectifier instead of the green. The yellow is connected direct to the lights which run on AC. I suspect that when current is drawn for the lights, output from the green drops and the green/red is switched in as it has a higher output.

On a fizzy there are only two wires from the lighting coil. As far as I'm aware, on all models (apart from the chopper), the yellow is always used for the headlamp. The YB is the same, so I'm fairly sure yellow from the YB coil can go to yellow in the fizzy loom. It may be wise to use a 25W headlamp bulb minimum, 15W or 18W almost certainly won't draw enough current from the YB lighting coil and the volts may go too high and blow all the bulbs.

For the remaining connection on the fizzy loom, which may be green or green/red (depending on year/model), either of the two remaining YB wires would work. So choose one, then tape up the unused one. This is just for charging the battery with the lights off and it's best not to overcharge, so I would measure the voltage across the battery and use whichever YB wire that gives the lowest output. I think this will be the YB green wire. If you have problems with the battery going flat, you could swap to the other one.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers

Mark C
Lincolnshire exile in North Hampshire

Brighton 08/09/10/11/12
East Coast 10/12
IOW 08/09/10/11
Northern 12
Uttoxeter 08/09/10
Spa Francorchamps 11
New Forest 09/10/11/12
Billing 07/08/09/10
Eagle 08/09/10/11
Ace Cafe 09/10/11

looey
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
looey
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

12:52 PM - Feb 04, 2013 #3

I had this issue when I did mine.

When I fitted my YB100 engine in my Fizzy, Paul (Fizzydoctor) kindly make me a short section of loom to allow me to plug the YB100 engine terminal block straight into the Fizzy loom without having to make any wiring modification to either the engine or bikes's loom (for when the matching numbers engine goes back in)

The section of loom Paul made for me had the separate green wire, so that I could try it with and without it connected.

With the green wire left disconnected it all works perfectly (charging and lights).

The bike has covered 1,500 miles since without any problems or even a blown bulb

Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

6:59 PM - Feb 04, 2013 #4

Great replies Guys! Pining for posterity.
Site Trainee Cook and Bottle Washer (YOP) and deluded power crazed individual
Helping the FS1E 6,500 perfect their appetite for a Mid Life Crisis since 2004!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
Brighton 2013 (Bring it ON!)