Moderator: chasthor

What 2-stroke Oil To Use For Pre-mix

pertheswede
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
pertheswede
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 21st, 2008, 11:35 am #1

On the back of three engine failures at Brighton with the only common denominator being the poor quality of the premix 2-stroke oil it seems, what is the best 2-stroke oil to use?

1.) Whilst running in and at what ratio?
2.) After being run in at what ratio?

Mineral, part synthetic or 100% synthetic?
Ester based?
Standard or Racing?
Any particular manufacturer better than another Motul, Silkolene, Castrol??
THE OFFICIAL YAMAHA FS1-E OWNERS CLUB
http://www.fs1eoc.co.uk

MLC
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
MLC
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 21st, 2008, 12:37 pm #2

I'm currently "running in" & was recomended Putoline TT Scooter + 100% synthetic & haven't had no probs even after giving it some welly!!!!!!!!!!

RD500MATT
The 65mph Club Member
RD500MATT
The 65mph Club Member

May 21st, 2008, 12:59 pm #3

Hi Per

i think modern oils are much higher quality than the crap we used in the seventies/eighties,i dont think its oil,more likely petrol.esp supermarket or budget stuff or poor ratio mixing,id stick with wot manufacturer recommends or if using synthetic you can reduce the oil ratio slightly.

i use cheap(er) semi synth in small strokers,never had a problem and fully synthetic in 350,s etc and in my rd500 which is tuned heavily,again no probs,but i never use cheap petrol(not that theres such a thing lately :angry: )

I use TTS(synthetic)and any quality oil from local bike shops(semi-synth)at 20-1 mix.

Once put tesco petrol in my Lotus Cortina and it wouldnt run on it properly,re-filled with BP and back to its best,said it all ithink.

Trouble is theres so many variables,light throttle loads etc and poor quality piston kits as well as oil/petrol etc.

Interesting topic though

eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 21st, 2008, 1:01 pm #4

I`ve used motul 2 stroke oil for many years without any problems. Used it on 250cc race bikes again with no problems. Motul 710 at 33:1 on the Fizz. Just works for me
They call me Mr Tibbs.

Commer van, Allegro, 350N2, and Garelli next on list.

Sondel Sport :-)

Kwackers
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Kwackers
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 21st, 2008, 4:43 pm #5

I've always used Silkolene with no problems, they make several flavours and do different ones for autolube and pre-mix, I use the semi synth Super 2 SX in the FS1E, I can do it for £5.50 / L plus P&P if anyone wants any.

Beware of scooter biased oils as they tend to assume autolube even if they don't specify that on the bottle.

I mix at 33:1 at the petrol station (easy calculation !) and use dosing bottle but have run at 40:1 when I mix it in the garage and had no problems.

mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 21st, 2008, 8:17 pm #6

I doubt any of the seizures are due to the type of oil. The oil in the 70's certainly wasn't crap, however todays synthetics oils should should run cleaner. There may be a variety of reasons for the problem, but I suspect the main one is that the alloy used for the pattern pistons is not as good as yamaha use and expands more when it gets hot. The barrel piston kits likely have insufficient piston to bore clearance to cope with this. Careful running in and avoidance of weak fuel/air mixtures is the main thing I can suggest.

Has anyone ever had a problem when using a genuine or reputable make piston?
Lincolnshire exile in North Hampshire

Brighton 08/09/10/11/12
East Coast 10/12
IOW 08/09/10/11
Northern 12
Uttoxeter 08/09/10
Spa Francorchamps 11
New Forest 09/10/11/12
Billing 07/08/09/10
Eagle 08/09/10/11
Ace Cafe 09/10/11

mark
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mark
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 21st, 2008, 8:49 pm #7

cheap crappy hansen barrels is my guess seen a few of these barrells and the fins can snap off before your very eyes on some of them

Drumbrake
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Drumbrake
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 22nd, 2008, 10:43 am #8

Any half decent Fully synthetic oil will do these days Per.
Start off at say 20:1 for running in then go for 30:1 for normal running, thats what i did on mine and it never ever ever gave any problems
The oldun's are the best'uns.........usually

MARK G
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
MARK G
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 22nd, 2008, 9:55 pm #9

mech73 wrote: I doubt any of the seizures are due to the type of oil. The oil in the 70's certainly wasn't crap, however todays synthetics oils should should run cleaner. There may be a variety of reasons for the problem, but I suspect the main one is that the alloy used for the pattern pistons is not as good as yamaha use and expands more when it gets hot. The barrel piston kits likely have insufficient piston to bore clearance to cope with this. Careful running in and avoidance of weak fuel/air mixtures is the main thing I can suggest.

Has anyone ever had a problem when using a genuine or reputable make piston?
i have used over 75 barrel kits the same ones as per uses with no problems
they need 100 miles of careful running in doing heat cycles, and a further 100 to be fully bed in, 20.1 is to much for a semi or full syn oil, makes the bike run as if the choke is on. 170ml per 5 litres is about right.
RACCOON 2 STROKE REBUILDS
... NOW AWARD WINNING ENGINE BUILDER...
...THE UK,S FIRST 70CC 80+ MPH AIR COOLED FIZZ MOTOR...
2 STROKE ENGINE AND REFURB SERVICE, ZINC PLATING , STOVE ENAMELING , ALLOY POLISHING , TUNING

IF YOU DONT FANCY DOING IT YOURSELF GIVE ME A CALL OR PM MOBILE 07719931029
www.raccoon2strokerebuilds.co.uk

cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

May 24th, 2008, 6:43 pm #10

pertheswede wrote: On the back of three engine failures at Brighton with the only common denominator being the poor quality of the premix 2-stroke oil it seems, what is the best 2-stroke oil to use?

1.) Whilst running in and at what ratio?
2.) After being run in at what ratio?

Mineral, part synthetic or 100% synthetic?
Ester based?
Standard or Racing?
Any particular manufacturer better than another Motul, Silkolene, Castrol??
may be your too fat mate! thats the common denominator
Best Pop Purple restored Brighton 09
Brighton 12
Brighton 11
Brighton 10
Brighton 09
Lincs Eagle 12
Lincs Eagle 10
Lincs Eagle 09
Lincs Eagle 08
East Coast Charity Run 12
East Coast Charity Run 11