Moderator: chasthor

Visit My Grandmother In Germany

ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 5:11 pm #1

When I was 16 I rode my Fizzy to visit my Grandmother in Moenchengladbach in Germany and then on to Spain.

Of course I had to avoid motorways and Autobahns.

It was Jul 1977, my grandmother had invited me to visit her in Germany. I was originally going to travel by train and then the ferry from Harwich to Zeebrugge in Belgium and then train to Moenchengladbach.

I told her I would be coming, but would travel to see her on my Fizzy and then go on to meet up with some friends in Spain at Llorett de Mar in Catalan.

So the night before I left sees me packing a rucksack full. With a little squeezing I fit enough stuff in the rucksack to last for a month. It was one of those big rucksacks with an aluminium frame, it was actually so long that it would rest on the seat when I sat on the bike. I had time off, I had just finished school and didn't have an apprenticeship sorted out yet, so had plenty of time for my trip.
At 6am I rode away from my parents home in Harlow and rode to Harwich, all of which was on A roads with some long stretches of dual carriageway (actually most of the way) I sat there at 50mph with the throttle wide open for mile after mile. It felt like it took forever, but really just took a few hours (three or so if I remember right) I got to the ferry terminal and bought a ticket for one motorcycle and rider. If my memory serves me right it was less than $50. So bike parked in the belly of the ferry I went upstairs. I had never been on the ferry without my parents, and so I had a good look around. It astounded me how big North Sea Ferries are. They are not like the Dover Calais ferries, where you can see the cars from the bar, but more like cruise liners that have a car park in the belly.
There was a night club, (by the way, I was in Harwich for quite a while waiting for the next ferry I could get on and took a night crossing) bar, restaurant etc. I left my rucksack in a large room that looked like the insdide of an aircraft, just rows and rows of seats, there was no one in there, I hid it under a seat.
I then went to the night club, I had a great time. I met some girls from the USA, who were traveling Europe with their High School class, they where 18 years old. I did not have a cabin, but I got one for the night. I clicked with one of the birds. I still remember her name, it was Jennifer and she was from Oklahoma City.
Anyway, when the nightclub closed we all went back to her cabin. She was sharing with three other girls. There were two rows of bunk beds (four beds) she had the top bunk on the right as we walked in the door. We got up into the top bunk, it was a very tight fit and her friends got into their beds. Needless to say after lots of foreplay we did the deed and then went to sleep. It was one of the best sexual experiences of my life. Now getting into the room was easy, getting out without being spotted by the chaperones was a different matter. We only woke when the loud speaker let eveyone know that we would be docking in 20 minutes. One of the girls went into the hall and tapped on the door when it was all clear, which took a few minutes. I gave Jennifer a kiss said bye and never saw her again. I then had to run back to the seat room and get my rucksack. I got it, there was still no one in the room, everyone was in the bar. It wasn't open, but when the bar closed they just put there feet up there and went to sleep.
I then ran to a toilet and washed and brushed my teeth and had an electric shave.
By this time passengers could go down to their vehicles. I went down into the car park, took my helmet off the helmet holder, put it on and rode off the ferry. I felt f*cking great, what an excellent start to my holiday.
It was lovely in Belgium the weather was great, it was a beautiful day, bright blue sky and nice and fresh. It was then that I realized I had forgotten to get any foreign currency. I went to a change counter and changed 50 pounds into Belgium Francs, Dutch Guilders and Deutschmarks. Most of it was Deutschmarks, I think I got maybe 10 or 15 pounds in Dutch and Belgian currency. I then went to a bakery and got some breakfast. I filled up at a local petrol station, I had been on reserve when I got on the ferry. They had pumps that already had the 2 stroke mixed in with the petrol. You just turned a dial to 20-1 and pumped the petrol premix straight from the pump. I then started my journey across Belgium. I couldn't use snellwegs (motorways), so it took more a whole day to get into Holland. I stopped in Venlo in Holland for the night, I found a youth hostel and stayed there for the night. I didn't go out, I grabbed something to eat from a snack bar (hole in the wall) and then fell fast asleep, my arse aching from the long ride. The only thing that made the trip bearable was the frequent stops for petrol, given the small 1.1 gallon tank on the Fizzy and the fact that it was on full throttle for mile after mile fill ups came every 60 to 70 miles or so. The premixed from the pump petrol made things so much easier when filling up. In Harlow, where I lived at the time, there was only one petrol station that had a 2 stroke pump and you had to put the petrol in then the Petrol Station attendent would put a shot of 2 stroke in. The rest of the petrol stations did not have 2 stroke dispensers and you had to carry a bottle of 2 stroke oil around with you. You could just about fit a small bottle into the side panel.
In the morning I woke and the owner of the youth hostel, a very nice woman, probably in her forties, made me a nice breakfast. She asked me what I wanted and made me nice eggs and bacon, no tea though but very good coffee. She was very interested in what I was doing, and seemed to be very impressed that a 16 year old lad would be making such a trip. She spoke English with a kind of a home counties accent, but she was Dutch not English. From my experience, a lot of Dutch speak English with a southern English accent.
Not far now and I would be at the German border. Back then you still had to stop at the border in each country so they could check your passport. Problem was I couldn't find the border crossing. I stopped in a petrol station on a tiny country lane and asked "Do you speak English" the guy shook his head, then "Spechen Sie Deutsch?" again he shook his head. I then said in German, it's closer to Dutch than English is, "Venlo Grenze fuer moped" (Venlo border for mopeds) and pointed at my Fizzy. He then told me in Dutch, which I can understand, just not speak. I repeated parrot fashion back and he nodded, so off I rode, 20 minutes later I was in Germany. Now all I had to do was get to Moenchengladbach, which is actually quite close to the border with Holland, three hours later I was there. My grandmother lived just outside Moenchengladbach in a village called Waldniel.
I rode straight to her house and parked in her front yard. She had a big old farm house (not used as a farm anymore.) It had an old stable and pigstye where I could park my Fizzy. I knocked on the front door and my Omi (German for Nan) came to the door. I have never received such a welcome anywhere. She was full of questions. How was my ride, were did I overnight etc etc. She told me to go into the living room and she would make me a sandwich and a cup of tea (German tea is kind of an orange colour and you drink it without milk, it's very nice)
I get into the living room and it full of friends that I hadn't seen in years, maybe five years or so. All my best German friends where there, including a girl friend I had the last time I had spent the summer in Germany. Her name was Gaby (pronounced Gah-bee) She was now a young woman and looked really good. My best German friends where there, Martius Marks, Heinz Mehr, Detlef Schneider, Ralf Fischer and a couple of others whose names I can't remember any more, I had no idea they would be there, we had lost contact in the intervening five years.
We all sat down and caught up. The last time we had seen each other we were just 12 years old, now we were between 16 and 18.
We just sat and talked all day. Martius had a Kreidler sports moped, Heinz had a Malaguti Cavelcone, Ralf had a Zundapp, Detleff had a Sachs and then there were a couple of Honda SS50ies a Batavus and a Tomos (both of which had gears and could pull a good 50mph) They had parked their's in the stables, so I wouldn't know they were there. In the evening we walked around the corner to the local pub and got plastered. I didn't have to buy a single pint, no one would let me.
We all staggered back to my nan's and fell asleep in the stables. I was back with Gaby, but we were so both so drunk, there was no way we were doing anything and just fell asleep cuddling. The next morning, my nan came into the stable and has a saucepan and a wooden spoon and starts banging them together. Fruehstueck (breakfast) she shouts at the top of her voice. We all go into the house and sit down to a nice breakfast. Bauenfruestucke (farmers breakfast)
Essentially a big fry up. Scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, sausages, mushrooms etc. all fried in the same pan at the same time and mixed together. Just what we all needed, given our pounding heads.
The rest of my time in Germany was much of the same. Also trips to Dusseldorf and into Moenchengladbach. Went to a football match in Moenchengladbach, great laugh. Spent lots of time shagging Gaby too.
After two weeks it was time to move on. I had to get to Spain to meet some mates from England who were going to Llorett De Mar. A couple of the German blokes said they would like to come too. Martius and Heinz, prepped their peds for the long journey, new points, new plugs, change gearbox oil, new air filters and they were ready. They would soon have to go to the German army, (Bundeswehr) to do their national service. When you hit 18 in Germany you have to do 18 months national service if you are not in University or College. You can do Zivildienst (civilian service) work in Hospitals etc. but then it's three years if, I remember correctly. It's now June and I spend my last night with Gaby, I have never seen her again, her parents moved to another part of Germany and no one was sure where. In the morning Martius and Heinz are on my nan's front yard revving their peds and I wake up. They have way more bags than I do. They have duffelbags on their pillion seats and also rucksacks on their backs.
I came down and let them in and my Nan is already awake. We have breakfast and I give Gaby a kiss and swear I will call her when I get back to England. I didn't bother and by the time I did want to she had moved with her parents.
We go to the bank and change money into Guidlers, Belgian Francs, French Francs and Pesetas.
We fill up with petrol, they have the same 2 stroke premix pumps in Germany as they had in Belgium. We begin our journey and get all the way to the french border before we stop having crossed Holland and Luxenburg, which was a total of about 350 miles, considering we had to avoid Autobahns and Snellwegs.
My Fizz was at full throttle most of the time, Martius' Kreidler and Heinz's Malaguti Cavalcone were a little faster than my Fizz so at 50mph they weren't quite at full throttle. All you could hear was Heinz's Cavalcone though, constant loud induction roar and and a pretty loud exhaust note too. Martius' Kreidler made about the same noise as my Fizzy, with a standard exhaust with the baffle in.
We overnight in a Youth Hostel in Livagne France. Non of us speaks French, and the youth hostel owner just about speaks English and no German. My freinds really didn't speak much English, so all the speaking was left to me. Anyway we get a nice shared room for the night and Croissant breakfast in the morning with strong coffee and a couple of fags. We go to the petrol station and fill up, same premix pumps again. On the way towads Marseille we run into a couple of French kids on peds, they are restricted and we stomp them. They are ok away from the lights and think nothing of weaving through people at zebra crossings, but only manage a top speed of about 30mph. They are both riding FS1 mopeds after a couple of hunded miles of riding we reach Marseille and decide we are going to stop for the night. We can not find anywhere to stay and end up going to the main train station and sleeping in the waiting room. There are loads of other people spending the night in their, because they are waiting for an early morning train. We play a game of cards with a group of American backpackers and then go to sleep. We are woken in the morning by a cleaning lady who is trying to wash the floor. I don't speak French, so have no idea what she was saying, but I got the jist of it, move please I need to wash the floor. We pick up our shyte and go to the toilets where we wash, shave and brush our teeth. There is a sign, which I think said, no washing, shaving or brushing teeth. sinks are just for washing hands. There was an attentdant who kept telling us we had to go, that we couldn't use the sinks like that. I just spoke in English and said, sorry mate I don't understand you I don't speak French. He just gave up and we finished.
We then had to ride down along the meditaranian coast and towards Toulouse.
After around 350 miles we stop for the night in Tolouse. Again we can't find anywhere to stay and just go to a pub, not really thinking about what we are going to do for the night. While we are in the pub we get talking to a guy who speaks perfect Englsih, no German, so I did all the talking. He asked us what we were doing and we (I) told him. I had ridden to Germany from England and then after staying there for a couple of weeks I was going to Spain to meet some mates who were hollidaying in Lloret De Mar. He asked do you have anywhere to stay for the night, and I said no. He offered that we could stay at his house for the night. He called his wife from the pub and she was ok with it. We followed his car to his flat and left our bikes parked on the pavement outside his flats. His wife was very nice and made us dinner, it was very nice. He then asked if we smoked, we said yes, but in reality I had never smoked cannabis before. We sat and smoked joint after joint and I felt no effect. It hit me all at once, we were sitting in the kitchen playing cards, and I felt the need to go to the toilet. I tried to get up and couldn't move, I went to speak and slurred "I need the toilet" the French guy said it's the first door on the right in the corridor. "I can't get up" I said and they had to carry me to the bathroom. The French guy then says, "tis your first time smoking, no" yes I said. He just laughed. I sat on the toilet, unable to move for an hour or more, and they would come and see if I was ok, which I was I just could not move. Eventually I got up and went into the living room and sat on his couch. I just sat there all night. I eventually fell asleep. In the morning I felt great, I was still mullered, but felt good. I had a huge breakfast, which I wolfed down, and then had another plate the same size. The wife just kept looking at me and smiling. Had to wait a few hours before I felt ok to ride. What hospitality, they were a great couple. I think they were only in their early twenties.
Now we're are almost in Spain, we ride over the mountains into Spain, up hill maybe 40mph in third gear and then down the other side in fourth gear clutch in, an easy 70mph, with the engine just ticking over taking a rest. Probably rode 10 miles at a time with just gravity pulling us down the hills. Just a few more miles and we are at Lloret De Mar. Total miles from Moenchengladbach to Lloret De Mar was somewhere around 1000 miles and took with somewhere around 40 hours of riding. Go to the hotel my friends are staying at and have the desk clerk call them, they are still asleep and it's probably 3 in the afternoon. Then there's the story of my stay in Spain, what a f*ckin* laugh. But that's a story for another day.

Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 5:31 pm #2

Another great adventure. Thanks to all for taking the time and effort of sharing these historic journeys.......
Site Trainee Cook and Bottle Washer (YOP) and deluded power crazed individual
Helping the FS1E 6,500 perfect their appetite for a Mid Life Crisis since 2004!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
Brighton 2013 (Bring it ON!)

ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 5:40 pm #3

thanks

gregs656
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
gregs656
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 5:59 pm #4

come on then, what happend in spain?

very interesting, i bet that took a little while to write as well!
The Hunt Is Over . . . FHV 124V

ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 6:13 pm #5

gregs656 wrote: come on then, what happend in spain?

very interesting, i bet that took a little while to write as well!
Pobably half an hour. I will write the Spain stay and return trip soon. I am at work now, it's 1:15pm

tommo32
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
tommo32
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 6:46 pm #6

i would laugh if you got to your grannys and she wasnt in. lol

you would be knackered if it dropped a ring or summot. i never went further than leeds and sometimes i took a spare top end.

impressive
...Dyna with the black mags...

Drumbrake
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Drumbrake
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 9:34 pm #7

Fantastic!!!
The oldun's are the best'uns.........usually

ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
ChazEverest
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 10th, 2007, 10:36 pm #8

tommo32 wrote: i would laugh if you got to your grannys and she wasnt in. lol

you would be knackered if it dropped a ring or summot. i never went further than leeds and sometimes i took a spare top end.

impressive
My nan knew I was coming, she thought I was coming by train though.
They sold Fizzies all over Europe back then. I wouldn't have had a problem getting parts. The standard tool kit is enough to get the cylinder off and to replace a piston or rings etc. I wasn't really worried. If you don't think your car or bike can manage a 3000 round trip over the course of a month, without crapping out, then it's not being looked after properly. My mates from Germany were taking a little more of a risk. Kreidlers and Malaguties were not so widespread in France and Spain, although there were plenty in Holland and Belgium. Then again though they were at three quarter throttle for 50mph while I was at full, so their engines were under less stress.

I used to ride all over England and Wales when I had my Fizz. I did Lands End to Jonagroates (not sure of the spelling) on my GT185.

Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

January 11th, 2007, 6:48 am #9

If Larry and Chaz pm or email me their address and size Ill get some tee shirts and the Fizzy days trailer off to them (when my order arrives!)
Site Trainee Cook and Bottle Washer (YOP) and deluded power crazed individual
Helping the FS1E 6,500 perfect their appetite for a Mid Life Crisis since 2004!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
Brighton 2013 (Bring it ON!)

fastduck
Total Fizzy Nut
fastduck
Total Fizzy Nut

January 11th, 2007, 10:35 am #10

thanks for taking the time to write it down. great story Chaz.