Moderator: chasthor

Tank lining breakdown

Jasper Carrots Funky Moped
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 12th, 2017, 5:37 pm #1

About 18 months ago I lined my tank with this, http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

I also used the tank prep

Today I noticed that the lining is breaking down and peeling away from tank, so now I will have to remove it before it gets else where and does any damage.

So can anyone recommend to me how is the best way of going about the removal process?
Would rather not use acetone, as I have history with it

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 12th, 2017, 7:18 pm #2

Ive searched online, but only two things become apparent.

Firstly, the use of acetone to remove the product and Secondly, the amount of loathing aimed towards this particular product.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 12th, 2017, 7:45 pm #3

chasthor wrote:the amount of loathing aimed towards this particular product
Yes done a little research myself and I have the classic failure, been thinking that if I just fill the tank up to the brim with fuel, it will eventually do what it is doing now and strip the xxxx off.

Other than that, I going to take tank off at the weekend and give a good shake to see if I can free some more of the stuff off.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Speed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Speed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 3:31 pm #4

tough shout this one, that crap in it is a nightmare, you could take tank off and go for the nuts and bolts shake or wrap it and cement mixer it to loosen as much as possible off and out, failing that time and petrol will destroy it but you will just have to keep doign above to keep tap free, i would put a fuel filter on anyway if you dont have one already
Team Essex Fizzy's,

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 4:08 pm #5

Cheers for that, that's what I'm going to do, but I read that fish tank gravel in the tank and a good shake around will also help, so I'm going with that one.

If it's only taken 18 months to start to break up, hopefully over the winter months when she is laid up it will even be worse.

Re: filter, got to say I don't like them, but may have to use in the mean time

fizzy-please
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
fizzy-please
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 5:41 pm #6

Jasper Carrots Funky Moped wrote:About 18 months ago I lined my tank with this, http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

Today I noticed that the lining is breaking down and peeling away from tank, so now I will have to remove it before it gets else where and does any damage.

So can anyone recommend to me how is the best way of going about the removal process?
well this is news to me and rather disconcerting as ive just used it in my tank

If its the petrol that's causing the problem then I would suggest de-ethanol'ing the petrol. its quite easy to remove and as long as you don't need a lot of petrol it would be an easy solution.

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 6:14 pm #7

fizzy-please wrote:
Jasper Carrots Funky Moped wrote:About 18 months ago I lined my tank with this, http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

If its the petrol that's causing the problem then I would suggest de-ethanol'ing the petrol. its quite easy to remove and as long as you don't need a lot of petrol it would be an easy solution.
I still have to get rid of the crap and once done I will not be relining it with anything else!!

Have you used the same crap as me?

fizzy-please
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
fizzy-please
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 6:19 pm #8

I used Kreem.. was told it was excellent stuff but now this is worrying. I understood it to be Ethanol-proof though.

Only other thing I can think is did you fully get rid of all the rust before you lined the tank or have you been using any so-called 'octane' boosters that may contain acetone ?

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 6:27 pm #9

fizzy-please wrote:I used Kreem.. was told it was excellent stuff but now this is worrying. I understood it to be Ethanol-proof though.

Only other thing I can think is did you fully get rid of all the rust before you lined the tank or have you been using any so-called 'octane' boosters that may contain acetone ?
I used the tank prep first and to be honest there wasn't a great deal of rust in it, it was just me wanting it done, only thing that goes in the tank is 20-1 pre mix

mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

July 13th, 2017, 6:27 pm #10

fizzy-please wrote:

well this is news to me and rather disconcerting as ive just used it in my tank

You can remove the ethanol using it's affinity to water. However although it's not the main reason it's used, ethanol raises the octane value, so the oil companies don't have to use as much alternative octane booster to achieve the 95 rating. Removing the ethanol will therefore lower the octane level. I don't know by how much and this may or may not matter, but it's worth being aware.

I suspect removing the liner with acetone will be the only effective solution. Then re-line with something more suitable.

I used a tank liner called Por-15 or similar, which is claimed to be ethanol resistant and has been ok so far (~ 3 years).
Lincolnshire exile in North Hampshire

Brighton 08/09/10/11/12
East Coast 10/12
IOW 08/09/10/11
Northern 12
Uttoxeter 08/09/10
Spa Francorchamps 11
New Forest 09/10/11/12
Billing 07/08/09/10
Eagle 08/09/10/11
Ace Cafe 09/10/11

Confirmation of reply: