Moderator: chasthor

sparkless fizzy

cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

8:28 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #1

Hi
took the fizzy out for a burn, I noticed that around 3/4 throttle the bike was flat and was dying similar to the other week before I stripped the carb. I found that at a corner I had to pull choke to stop it dying!

I got it home and it really started to crap out, would not idle ran as if petrol starvation? then would not start at all. after kicking it over till my leg ached I popped the plug, spark was good, so I stripped the carb again and cleaned all the jets again. fitted this to the bike and after 6 kicks it started for a couple of secs then died...
I then checked spark again all ok so I thought I would prim it with a hyperdermic, would not start and it should have, so out with plug again and NO SPARK? tried another plug, no spark? shoved my little finger in the plug cap and turned it over gently, no electrocution.

checked resistance from engine coil this was about 0.2 ohm and varied if I turned the flywheel, checked ignition was not dodgy and putting ht to earth was fine
checked ht black wire resistance to earth, book says 5k + 5K for the supressor nothing through the ht cap via earth and 2 ohms from the black to earth (tests with a multimeter in line) no I would have though the black wire from the ht frame coil would had had a high resistance? as this is the one that goes to earth to kill the motor and I think 2 ohms would kill the motor, any ides?

also I removed the ssupressor cap in case faulty (it is brand new) meter in the wire and other end to earth nothing? book says 5K?

this looks like it is the coil ht coil gone belly up, any thoughts? any other way of testing it?

any one got 1 spare that is good and would like money for it!!

Cobra
Best Pop Purple restored Brighton 09
Brighton 12
Brighton 11
Brighton 10
Brighton 09
Lincs Eagle 12
Lincs Eagle 10
Lincs Eagle 09
Lincs Eagle 08
East Coast Charity Run 12
East Coast Charity Run 11
East Coast Charity Run 10
Billing 09

FCA101
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
FCA101
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

8:46 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #2

start again!

Ride hard or stay home.

FCA101
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
FCA101
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

8:48 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #3

Seriously I have no idea, but ive a couple of spare sets of electrics from my barn find, post a photo of what you need and i will have a look on tuesday when i get back from spain.
Ride hard or stay home.

cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

9:11 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #4

Ian
I think it may be the HT coil the one in the frame that the plug lead comes from. just wondering if any one else has any thoughts
on the subject

Cobra
Brighton 12
Brighton 11
Brighton 10
Brighton 09
Lincs Eagle 12
Lincs Eagle 10
Lincs Eagle 09
Lincs Eagle 08
Billing 09

startermotor4377
The 65mph Club Member
startermotor4377
The 65mph Club Member

9:37 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #5

gaz are the points sparking.

mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

10:04 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #6

cobrafighter wrote: checked resistance from engine coil this was about 0.2 ohm and varied if I turned the flywheel, checked ignition was not dodgy and putting ht to earth was fine
checked ht black wire resistance to earth, book says 5k + 5K for the supressor nothing through the ht cap via earth and 2 ohms from the black to earth (tests with a multimeter in line) no I would have though the black wire from the ht frame coil would had had a high resistance? as this is the one that goes to earth to kill the motor and I think 2 ohms would kill the motor, any ides?
The primary of the ignition coil sounds ok at 2 ohms, but the secondary should be several K ohms as you say. Might be worth trying the plug cap on it's own to check your meter works ok in the K ohm range. If that's ok it does suggest you've found the problem. Probably the HT lead becoming detached from the coil.

You can do a rough check on the generator by holding the LT output lead (the one that goes to the coil and ignition switch) very near earth and check for a spark when you kick the bike over. I've never actually tried this myself but Russ from Fizzy Galore assures me it works. I expect the spark from this will be fairly weak as it is a couple of hundred volts rather than the thousands from the HT lead.

Cheers

Mark C
Lincolnshire exile in North Hampshire

Brighton 08/09/10/11/12
East Coast 10/12
IOW 08/09/10/11
Northern 12
Uttoxeter 08/09/10
Spa Francorchamps 11
New Forest 09/10/11/12
Billing 07/08/09/10
Eagle 08/09/10/11
Ace Cafe 09/10/11

startermotor4377
The 65mph Club Member
startermotor4377
The 65mph Club Member

10:28 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #7

cobras on a mision resighting the haynes manual wait for it here
it comes.

cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

10:33 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #8

startermotor4377 wrote:gaz are the points sparking.
dunno as I am working alone and I cannot strech that far. will try mech73 idea to clarify the lt coil is ok then pull out the ht coil and lead. i did extend this on the build but its a long shot to sumise the connection is duff as I used a propper connector and further insulated it with self amangi tape and scotch cote resin nothing should penetrate that.
will update tomorrow, I have no spares to test with. the ht coil was an ebay buy so could have well been sold due to probs on there bike and not said anything dunno all point to it at the mo. the condencer and contact points are new. the coil tests as should be on resistance but nothing on the ht. manual says 5k + the cap resistance but open circuit and ht coil black to earth is approx 2 ohms that cannot be right can you check yours for me? coil black to earth what is the resistance? also ht lead plug cap to earth what is the resistance?
cheers

Cobra
Brighton 12
Brighton 11
Brighton 10
Brighton 09
Lincs Eagle 12
Lincs Eagle 10
Lincs Eagle 09
Lincs Eagle 08
Billing 09

cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

10:37 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #9

startermotor4377 wrote:cobras on a mision resighting the haynes manual wait for it here
it comes.
im too pissed to resite any thing at the moment.......................................................................................!!

Cobraaaaaaaaaaaa
Brighton 12
Brighton 11
Brighton 10
Brighton 09
Lincs Eagle 12
Lincs Eagle 10
Lincs Eagle 09
Lincs Eagle 08
Billing 09

startermotor4377
The 65mph Club Member
startermotor4377
The 65mph Club Member

10:43 PM - Jul 12, 2008 #10

gaz your getting far too technical coils on these things rarely breakdown but as
youve bogged yours it could be that ,get the misses to kick it over not litteratly
c 4 spark at piont i would suspect dodgy wiring in magneto points or condensor
dont forget to jump up and down when youve found the fault.you cant get out of
it this easy your buying the breakfasts next sunday.u have pm