Moderator: chasthor

My Zinc Plating Guide

Jasper Carrots Funky Moped
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 8:20 am #1

I will try to explain as best as I can with pictures and words the way I did my plating and hopefully it may help if you do it yourself, also if I can do it? anyone can

First off, here is the kit I bought

Zinc Plating Kit by tonkie93, on Flickr

I wont go into the mixing process as it clearly tells you how to in the instructions, all I will say is that I mixed up the full measures in each tank/bucket

Below are the mixtures, from left to right, Alkaline Cleaner, Dry Acid Salt(Pickle), Electrolyte and the one below them is the Passivate

Processing Plant :-) by tonkie93, on Flickr

Passivate Tank by tonkie93, on Flickr

I put the Alkaline Cleaner within another tank and put hot water into the tank so the Alkaline Cleaner became warmish, as I was doing a warm soak of the parts in the Alkaline Cleaner, all parts were hung onto thin copper wire, after a few minutes the part was then dipped in clean water ready for the next stage.

Then it was onto the Dry Acid dip( known as the Pickle) I would say this is the most crucial part as it stripes all the old zinc off and will effect your end result if like me you don't get it correct first time, you will have to do it again. The mixture is clear before anything is put into it, but as soon as any parts are dipped into the mixture it starts to Fizz and will continue until the old zinc has been striped, which could be up to 20 minutes or more, again the parts are attached to copper wire that is hung onto copper pipe that goes across the bucket.

Once the Fizzing has stopped the liquid will become clear and the part itself wont be Fizzing either, so the stripping process is complete, then dip in clean water or rinse then I dipped into the Alkaline Cleaner and again in clean water. The part now should be striped of all old zinc and should look a dull Grey like this

Pickled by tonkie93, on Flickr

So now for the Plating (Electrolyte) again I put the bucket within a tank with hot water and used the supplied fish tank heater to keep the water warm for best results, once the part is dipped into the liquid there is 2 external factors that will determine the results you will get and they are current and the amperage?

The Current is adjusted by moving the crocodile clip along the Current Controller and then that will increase or decrease the amperage, the shorter the resistance the higher the amperage and the longer the resistance the lower the amperage, the 2 pictures below shows how I settled for, but you will have to decide best for you and parts you are zincking

Current Controller by tonkie93, on Flickr

Amperage by tonkie93, on Flickr

You should see almost straight away the part Fizzing slightly, how long it takes will depend on your Current settings and how big the part is, you can take it out to see, but most of mine were about 20 minutes each, once happy with the zinc finish of the part, take out and rinse and dip in the Passivate straight away and leave for about 40 seconds, make sure the Passivate has been stirred just before dipping as I had made the liquid up at the same time as the others so had been standing for hours and when I dipped the first part in in went black in parts and I was baffled why, so I had to do the whole process again, with the same outcome again and it wasn't till the 3rd time I thought, stir.

For me it was worth the effort and a learning curve, but the results speak for themselves

Before 1 by tonkie93, on Flickr

After 1 by tonkie93, on Flickr

Before 3 by tonkie93, on Flickr

After 3 by tonkie93, on Flickr

I hope you can understand in what I have wrote and I also hope it helps you in anyway, if there are any other help I can give please feel free to ask.

Happy Fizzing

tapper777
The 65mph Club Member
tapper777
The 65mph Club Member

April 1st, 2016, 2:06 pm #2

fantastic job well done you, looks like everyone here will be sending you there parts for you to do ?

steve
The 65mph Club Member
steve
The 65mph Club Member

April 1st, 2016, 4:28 pm #3

good results nice job I will be investing in a kit myself

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 6:22 pm #4

Thanks

I bought it from here

http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Home.php

There are more photos of the before and after on my Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonkie93/

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 6:33 pm #5

So, was there at any point, any type of mechanical cleaning involved, whether wire brush or emery?

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 6:50 pm #6

chasthor wrote:So, was there at any point, any type of mechanical cleaning involved, whether wire brush or emery?
Oops!!

Yes there was on the break peddle, but I did that when I got off ebay a while back as it had a rust coating on it, no mechanical involved just brute power with a wire brush but to be honest the Dry Acid Salts would strip it of anything

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 7:10 pm #7

Jasper Carrots Funky Moped wrote:
no mechanical involved just brute power with a wire brush
That is mechanical, or should that be manual?
It involved a tooled. It required effort of the elbow.

Its a bit of both I guess.

But nothing prior to or after stripping? With the exception of the aforementioned brake pedal, were all your other bits reasonably corrosion free? Coating just a little worn and tired maybe?

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 7:34 pm #8

chasthor wrote:
Jasper Carrots Funky Moped wrote:
no mechanical involved just brute power with a wire brush
That is mechanical, or should that be manual?
It involved a tooled. It required effort of the elbow.

Its a bit of both I guess.

But nothing prior to or after stripping? With the exception of the aforementioned brake pedal, were all your other bits reasonably corrosion free? Coating just a little worn and tired maybe?
Ok you win

Ye the break peddle was the part that needed the mechanical brute manual elbow power with the wire brush to strip the rust, the other parts were just wash and dip, once the dipping started NO other manual or mechanical was involved!

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 7:58 pm #9

The reason I ask, is that, prior to your thread, the only reference I have seen to zinc plating, is the effort that people have put into prepping their parts, before taking them to be zinc plated.

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 1st, 2016, 8:10 pm #10

chasthor wrote:The reason I ask, is that, prior to your thread, the only reference I have seen to zinc plating, is the effort that people have put in, to prepping their parts, before taking them to be zinc plated.
I can understand that, if the part are in need of a bit more brute force? but the parts I had, apart from the break peddle, were in my opinion didn't need anything other than the dip

Agree in my very limited knowledge the prep is the key