Wires in a mess? Need some help? Visit www.fizzydoctor.com
http://www.facebook.com/FizzyDoctor

thedubdoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
thedubdoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 19th, 2012, 8:29 am #192

paul hows the yb 100 kit going
making sure you can see the light from the darkside,when all others eyes are closed to the glare

FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 19th, 2012, 8:50 am #193

thedubdoctor wrote:paul hows the yb 100 kit going
Time is my enemy at the moment

The Yb will need a different adaptor plate setting up and manufacturing which takes time.

I am going to do my own bike first once I get a chance

When it is done you will be the first to know

sidewayscarl
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
sidewayscarl
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 20th, 2012, 7:22 am #194

https://www.1977mopeds.com/product/1204 ... A50-Setup/
This is the CDI kit I have ordered for my Grand Prix ..

FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 20th, 2012, 9:34 am #195

sidewayscarl wrote:https://www.1977mopeds.com/product/1204 ... A50-Setup/
This is the CDI kit I have ordered for my Grand Prix ..
That looks great value Carl, nice find

mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2012, 10:17 pm #196

I've just fitted the stator and flywheel I got from Nat to my Dx. I'm not sure of the origin, but I guess they're chinese PW50 copies like Paul and Carl have used.

My brother turned me a backplate on his lathe. I drilled the mounting holes holes in the wrong place to start off with and had to drill and slot a second set to get the timing right.

Nat suppled me with two CDI units, one is a blue aftermarket one and the other I think may be for an Aerox, it isn't PW50 as the connectors and number of wires was different to the PW50 wiring diagram (I found the extra wire was for a kill switch). I bought a PW50 aftermarket top coil from ebay.

Wiring was fairly straightforward and both CDI units worked but the timing was different, so they're not completely interchangeable. The blue CDI unit has more advance but this advance decreases slightly just above tickover, then remains constant to max revs. The Aerox one appears to be fixed timing throughout the whole range but it did jitter about a bit at tickover, hence the blue one is fitted.

With both CDI's the strobe light shows there is a spark at BDC as well as TDC, which surprised me, but I don't suppose it matters. I guess it would mean the same generator assembly could be used on a twin.

I've not got all the 12V bits yet, but I de-earthed the lighting coil and did some tests. With a car headlamp bulb straight onto the two wires from the coil and a few revs on I measured 14.2 Volts and 5.3 amps. That's 75 watts and compares well with the fizzy I converted to 12V last year, which with a standard lighting coil was producing about 40-45 watts at most.

Hopefully all the 12V bits will arrive over the next few days and I can try it on the road. Thanks to Nat for the parts and to Sideways Carl and FizzyDoctor for showing the way. With a few home made setups and Fizzydoctors excellent 'ready to fit' kits I expect there will be quite a few CDI fizzies on the runs this year

Cheers

Mark C

Lincolnshire exile in North Hampshire

Brighton 08/09/10/11/12
East Coast 10/12
IOW 08/09/10/11
Northern 12
Uttoxeter 08/09/10
Spa Francorchamps 11
New Forest 09/10/11/12
Billing 07/08/09/10
Eagle 08/09/10/11
Ace Cafe 09/10/11

FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2012, 10:34 pm #197

Mark, If you had let me know I could have sent you an adaptor plate all pre set and ready to fit

But I guess you enjoy doing it yourself

Just out of interest, what is the thickness of the base plate you have used to allow correct clearance for the rotor

NAT 666
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
NAT 666
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2012, 10:35 pm #198

Well done Mark ! I'm glad to see you put it to good use as I havent even started to sort my fizzy engine out yet so there was no point it gathering dust on my bench, the Blue CDI was a chinese PW50 race spec CDI - supposedly gives a better road performance, you have stated it gives a better advance so it sounds promising Mark - I will look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks time at Brighton- not sure what I will be riding yet

mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
mech73
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2012, 10:46 pm #199

FizzyDoctor wrote:But I guess you enjoy doing it yourself
That's true, but it did take me a bit longer than I expected and I haven't finished yet

I was going to temporarily run it at 6V until I got the 12V parts, but the lighting coil is too powerful unregulated and I supect it would boil the battery and blow the bulbs. I was suprised at that, because as far as I can make out, from the PW50 wiring diagram, the lighting coil is only used as a voltage generator to operate the rev limiter.
Lincolnshire exile in North Hampshire

Brighton 08/09/10/11/12
East Coast 10/12
IOW 08/09/10/11
Northern 12
Uttoxeter 08/09/10
Spa Francorchamps 11
New Forest 09/10/11/12
Billing 07/08/09/10
Eagle 08/09/10/11
Ace Cafe 09/10/11

FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
FizzyDoctor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2012, 10:59 pm #200

mech73 wrote:
FizzyDoctor wrote:But I guess you enjoy doing it yourself
That's true, but it did take me a bit longer than I expected and I haven't finished yet

I was going to temporarily run it at 6V until I got the 12V parts, but the lighting coil is too powerful unregulated and I supect it would boil the battery and blow the bulbs. I was suprised at that, because as far as I can make out, from the PW50 wiring diagram, the lighting coil is only used as a voltage generator to operate the rev limiter.
I suppose time will tell and the 6 volt bikes may require an AC regulator as the coil does have a good output

As far as I know, these stators are for the Yamoto PY 50 copy so may have more electrical equipment than the original PW