Moderator: chasthor

Front Whell Bearings

Jasper Carrots Funky Moped
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

7:12 PM - Feb 22, 2018 #1

Just got myself a front wheel hub to rebuild with the spare rim and spokes I have, the bearing looks fine? but I think the seal has seen better days.
So my questions are, how do I change them both?

Ta

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

7:22 PM - Feb 22, 2018 #2

You will need a bar, long enough to pass right through both bearings, and leaving enough to hit!
The bar is best when its a smaller diameter than the spindle, so, for a 10mm spindle, I would use an 8mm diameter bar.
Now, what you will need to do, is put the bar in to the first bearing, and through the spacer, and as far as the inside of the other bearing. Raising or lowering the bar at the end youre holding will have the opposite effect on the other end, and will allow you to engage the inner of the furthest bearing. Now hit the bar, and the furthest bearing should start to drift out of the hub. Once this is out, and the spacer is removed, the other bearing can be drifted out.

Simples!

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

7:29 PM - Feb 22, 2018 #3

chasthor wrote:You will need a bar, long enough to pass right through both bearings, and leaving enough to hit!
The bar is best when its a smaller diameter than the spindle, so, for a 10mm spindle, I would use an 8mm diameter bar.
Now, what you will need to do, is put the bar in to the first bearing, and through the spacer, and as far as the inside of the other bearing. Raising or lowering the bar at the end youre holding will have the opposite effect on the other end, and will allow you to engage the inner of the furthest bearing. Now hit the bar, and the furthest bearing should start to drift out of the hub. Once this is out, and the spacer is removed, the other bearing can be drifted out.

Simples!

So I just wack it from the outside then

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

12:09 PM - Feb 23, 2018 #4

Well, whack the inside of the inner race of the bearing you are wanting to remove, from the outside, Yes.

chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
chasthor
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

12:10 PM - Feb 23, 2018 #5

Its really not that hard, but of course, I forget, In Neils world...................!

MLC
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
MLC
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

1:22 PM - Feb 23, 2018 #6

Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

4:29 PM - Feb 23, 2018 #7

All done, Ta!!

Been informed the hub is not the same as my bike, but it was never intended for my bike, just for playing with, if you can call respoking playing

Latest Project by tonkie93, on Flickr

Confirmation of reply: