Moderator: chasthor

Fork Oil.

eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

2:25 PM - Mar 05, 2008 #1

We`re putting new fork seals on my step-sons bike tonight and I wondered what weight fork oil to use? I know the manuel says 10w30 engine oil but as this isn`t the most common of oils am hoping to put in staight fork oil. Any reccomendations on weight and make please. Thanks, Guy.
They call me Mr Tibbs.

Commer van, Allegro, 350N2, and Garelli next on list.

Sondel Sport :-)

AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

5:10 PM - Mar 05, 2008 #2

I used 10/40w normal engine oil guy as thats what i had in the garage,in use it feels perfectly normal even with my lard arse on it <_<

eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

5:20 PM - Mar 05, 2008 #3

Thanks Ted I`ve some 10w40 in the garage so will use that. Spoke to a chap at Hagon shocks yesterday, didn`t realise how different fork and engine oil grades were. Also how the same weight oil varies from one manufacturer to another. I too have eaten a kebab or 2 too many over the years
They call me Mr Tibbs.

eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

4:48 PM - Mar 09, 2008 #4

Bugglier, forks apart and the r/h leg looks like one of fifes' bananas Did notice that they differ though. Pics shows fork legs as on bike, i.e left leg on left side. The reason for different oil quantites I guess.

They call me Mr Tibbs.

AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

4:57 PM - Mar 09, 2008 #5

Ive lost count of the amount of bent fizz fork tubes ive dealt with over the years :angry:
And virtually all of em came from bikes in use :rolleyes:

eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
eightcans
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

4:18 PM - Mar 14, 2008 #6

AllSpeed wrote: I used 10/40w normal engine oil guy as thats what i had in the garage,in use it feels perfectly normal even with my lard arse on it <_<
Nice one, Ohlins feel at a fraction of the price. Cheers Ted
They call me Mr Tibbs.

cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
cobrafighter
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

10:02 AM - Apr 12, 2008 #7

yamaha told me to use 10/30 in the forks and engine!! I have not put it in yet though, wait for a number of opinions first

Cobra
Best Pop Purple restored Brighton 09
Brighton 12
Brighton 11
Brighton 10
Brighton 09
Lincs Eagle 12
Lincs Eagle 10
Lincs Eagle 09
Lincs Eagle 08
East Coast Charity Run 12
East Coast Charity Run 11
East Coast Charity Run 10
Billing 09

alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

11:05 AM - Apr 12, 2008 #8

the reason they put different mesures in each fork leg is because of the brake drum 136cc and 156cc in the other

5:37 PM - May 05, 2008 #9

eightcans wrote: Bugglier, forks apart and the r/h leg looks like one of fifes' bananas Did notice that they differ though. Pics shows fork legs as on bike, i.e left leg on left side. The reason for different oil quantites I guess.

So.....the leg with the spike at the bottom goes with the stanchion with the smallest hole in the bottom? And the leg with no spike and the flange for the drum brake goes with the stanchion with the bigger hole and has more oil in it? Is that right?

Just checking as that's how I assembled mine and it seems to jam a bit on the left hand fork(the one with the spike in it) I think the spike is getting stuck in the hole at the bottom of the stanchion. I've checked the fork straightness and it was OK.

Can someone help me - I feel a bit thick

BTW anyone in SE London who's going to the Bolney run? .........or can pop round for a few minutes advice on electrics.....there's a beer in it for you

Ta

alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

6:00 PM - May 05, 2008 #10

NO THE DRUMBRAKE /SIDE TAKES MORE OIL THAN THE OTHER BECAUSE THERE IS MORE WIEGHT ON THE DRUM SIDE THAN THE OTHER DOES THIS HELP I CAN GIVE THE EXACT OIL MESSUREMENTS IF YOU NEED THEM