Moderator: chasthor

Clutch cable length

john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 21st, 2011, 8:20 pm #1

The overall length of my clutch cable is 1310mm. When it is connected at the bars it is about 50mm to long.

Bike is a 2go with the early braced high bars.

On the plus side I now have a clutch lever on the bike.

jobby
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
jobby
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 21st, 2011, 11:00 pm #2

pattern clutch cables are not very good im afraid, i tried a few but gave up and managed to find a genuine yamaha one. if you can find a yam one next best thing would be to get one made up.

john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 7:46 pm #3

Cheers Jobby.

I called into Newsham Motorcycles and got a little brass cylinder that has a screw go through the middle of it. All I can liken it to is its like a pin in a 3 pin plug where you poke the wire through and tighten it.

I soldered the end to make it a bit more secure.

I'm going to see if I can get hold of a genuine Yamaha one, sounds like it won't be easy.

AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 8:21 pm #4

John did you not try FS1 ALMERE ?

john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 8:25 pm #5

AllSpeed wrote:John did you not try FS1 ALMERE ?
No I didn't Ted, I only found it wouldn't fit once the clutch lever finally turned up.

I'll try my local deler tomorrow, if I have no joy there I'll try the dutch lot

This is the 2nd Hi Level cable that wasn't any good.

Jay
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Jay
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 8:26 pm #6

borrow a gen item and have a replica made is another route to go down ,

Team Essex ........ we race harder !! but we do tend to give up too !!!

john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 8:41 pm #7

Jay wrote: borrow a gen item and have a replica made is another route to go down ,
I can get my hands on a genuine one off a DX model. I'll give that a go, there's a Brit bike shop on the Hill that made a clutch cable for my Husky.

I had the original for them to copy from, with this bike I've had nothing to work from from the off.

AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 8:52 pm #8

You wont get any joy from Yamaha John. Cables are a mare,the wemoto one is virtually the right length but when Pete tried one it wouldnt pull the clutch enough to clear.
I went through 2 pattern ones that i wrapped around the frame 2-3 times but worked,till they pulled trhrough at the bars.Then i was lucky enough to get a used genuine one.
Its operates real nice and is the right length but now i need to repaint the left casing and its a job i keep putting off as i really want to leave anything with the cable well alone for fear of issues returning

john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
john...
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 8:57 pm #9

AllSpeed wrote:You wont get any joy from Yamaha John. Cables are a mare,the wemoto one is virtually the right length but when Pete tried one it wouldnt pull the clutch enough to clear.
I went through 2 pattern ones that i wrapped around the frame 2-3 times but worked,till they pulled trhrough at the bars.Then i was lucky enough to get a used genuine one.
Its operates real nice and is the right length but now i need to repaint the left casing and its a job i keep putting off as i really want to leave anything with the cable well alone for fear of issues returning
Looks like I'll have to get one made then Ted.

AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 22nd, 2011, 9:20 pm #10

What we need is a genuine one as a pattern,if they remade em they would use teflon lined cables etc hopefully which would make for a lighter clutch.
If someone can make ones the right length and that work i would happily pay £25 for one to keep for emergency use.
Im sure someone posted a link for a cable firm?

ANYONE?

Also anyone got an old genuine one as a pattern?

Confirmation of reply: