Moderator: chasthor

Age Related Plates

Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

October 20th, 2008, 8:07 am #1

If you have a fizzy and no registration number you can apply for an age related plate!

Since it appears the DVLA has stopped accepting dating letters from Yamaha UK I think the only way to get a dating letter is through the VJMC. Apart from being a great set of lads with a lot of experience they are a club you can join and get regular magazines. They are also keen for news stories and photos to print in their mag, Tansha.

Info is here. http://www.vjmc.com/dvla.htm

Once you have a dating letter, you need to get an MOT on the frame number and then apply for an age related registration number via you DVLA local office. I have done it once and it was a time consuming business as the DVLA called the bike in for an examination. But apart from that it was not too bad.

Site Trainee Cook and Bottle Washer (YOP) and deluded power crazed individual
Helping the FS1E 6,500 perfect their appetite for a Mid Life Crisis since 2004!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
Brighton 2013 (Bring it ON!)

Puchboy
The 65mph Club Member
Puchboy
The 65mph Club Member

October 20th, 2008, 4:16 pm #2

The NACC will also do a dating letter. Slightly more £'s for non members but not dear.

Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

October 22nd, 2008, 4:47 pm #3

The following is a post by Nat on another thread ........ thanks Nat!

1) you need to get the bike mot'd
2) you need to get a dating letter from Yamaha Tel 0193258000 customer services -
See item 9 My local DVLA Office will no longer accept a Yamaha dating letter.
3) you need to request by post a V55/5 form from DVLA or pick up at your local DVLA office.
4)you need to insure the bike on its frame number and ask for a months grace from the insurer to give you time to get the registration sorted out in case you need to attend an inspection by DVLA.
5) you need to fill in the V55/5 form
6) you need to attend a local DVLA office with the following items
a) Your driving Licence or Passport
b) Your mot certificate
c) your insurance certificate or covernote
d) your V55 form correctly filled in
e) the £50 fee plus the cost of the road tax for a year for the size of bike eg for a FS1E it will cost £65 - the road tax fee has to be paid for at the time of request for a registration.
7) inspections on moped and motorcycle applications for registration are carried out at random by DVLA - so its important your insurer gives you long enough to get your reg sorted out as the last time I had to have an inspection it took a month from start to finish for DVLA to do there bit.
8) There is a new change at my local DVLA - they are now saying you have to fill in a customs form before any application can be processed- they have never asked for this before unless the bike was first registered abroad eg a german import previously registered abroad then you need to fill in a VAT 414 form - so after an hour being messed about by them and a further half an hour on the phone with the customs people its back in the hands of DVLA - I have just filled in a VAT 414 form to show a token effort to conform to what they want as that was the only form they had at the local office - Customs Customer service said there wasnt a form for age related circumstances and they had no interest in the bike - so I now have to wait for the local DVLA to ring me to tell me there intentions after they have discussed it with Swansea DVLA
9) My Local DVLA office are now saying they wont accept Yamaha dating letters anymore - they will now only accept club affiliated age dating certificates eg from the VJMC club -
Site Trainee Cook and Bottle Washer (YOP) and deluded power crazed individual
Helping the FS1E 6,500 perfect their appetite for a Mid Life Crisis since 2004!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
Brighton 2013 (Bring it ON!)

alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

October 22nd, 2008, 5:10 pm #4

i dont think they have stoped andy ive just reg mine one day ago no probs matey ps are you registering in the right place i no with no probs alifizz

alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
alifizz
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

October 22nd, 2008, 5:13 pm #5

you a 30 day cover note i no how to do it if you need help ive done it a lot of times alifizz

NAT 666
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
NAT 666
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

October 29th, 2008, 10:10 pm #6

Alifizz if you read previous posts you would understand that DVLA Swansea issued a memo to all local DVLA office managers throughout the UK about recommending that they do not accept these letters anymore because of the inaccurate dating but dispite this it appears that several offices still do accept them it seems its down to the discretion of local DVLA office mangers - Norwich DVLA doesnt which is my nearest local office - I have done it many times as have others so dont tell us how to suck eggs you're lucky your local office is ignoring the memo sent out because my local office has stated they are strictly now only accepting recognized club dating letters - but then you have shot your mouth off on other threads so its no surprise is it ! if a local DVLA office insist on an inspection it can take anywhere from 3 days up to 5 weeks and I have been at both ends of that timescale with bikes.
I have registered bikes with no problems at all- so has Per but some offices are making it a more difficult and time consuming process - I will try Peterborough office next time as my brother lives close to it.

Puchboy
The 65mph Club Member
Puchboy
The 65mph Club Member

October 30th, 2008, 10:40 am #7

On the subject of inspections I've had two (for different reasons) by the same chap. Very helpful but interestingly he enquired both times regarding originality. It is therefore worth keeping photos, ebay printouts etc to show (as far as possible) that what you have is not made up of a collection of bits but is substatially original which fortunately was the case with both of mine. After the first I took the records with me!

litchy
Total Fizzy Nut
litchy
Total Fizzy Nut

December 5th, 2008, 7:35 am #8

You can forget about Roy Bacon for a dating letter cos the DVLA wont accept them from him either now !!!!
If it's not 49cc it's not a moped !!!!!!!

itn
The 65mph Club Member
itn
The 65mph Club Member

March 12th, 2009, 6:50 pm #9

well i went and did every thing above,and i have had the inspection yesterday,a five minute thing,and now there is another fizzy back on

the road,got my number plate certificate to day,the day after my inspection not bad i dont think. went to sheffield d.v.l.a quite easy but time consuming

had a vjmc dateing cert stating it was a 1973. so i was expecting an L reg plate as stated else where they reg them 1st of jan 1973 ??? and its bin put

on a M plate which suprises me but not complaining just pleased to have my bike on the road at last .

the 70mph member

NAT 666
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
NAT 666
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

March 12th, 2009, 7:04 pm #10

Well done Mark !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - bring it to Brighton mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!