Moderator: chasthor

50cctuning FS1E Dyno Developments Part1

50cctuning
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
50cctuning
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:01 pm #1

Today Saturday 4th APRIL 2009
Had a visit by ITN with his old pedal fizz he rode it across town to my new Dyno workshop to deliver it to me to start this new thread
the aim of the thread is to show a step by step progression of general dyno set up of a standard fizz up to various stages of tune all fully verified by both dyno testing to check horsepower/torque/rpm/speed/air fuel monitoring and then on the road testing to evaluate usability and overall spread of power/general rideability,im not too concerned about the road testing as i know what works on the road from the data i get from the dyno mainly the torque curve is the one to watch and its width of operating rpm this comes from developing quad and mx engines that are very torque biased but felt that people can be sceptical so real world testing it is.
Im keen to conduct a fair test so the bike was checked over and tyre pressure checked and adjusted to 30 psi and will be continually monitored on future tests,the dyno takes care of correction factors regarding temperature/humidity and air pressure so these will remain constant,the engines operating temp is monitored via infa red temp gauge the bike is running standard gearing and all dyno runs carried out in 4th gear to allow a long run from low revs to load the engine over the 3 runs per test,to be fair these variables have little effect on final readings with the exception of tyre pressure which if too low will cause drag and show a lower power output

test 1
standard bike as supplied std fizz cylinder/carb/head/discvalve/pattern exhaust system with baffle but no exhaust wool motor a little tired but no annoying rattles and compression seemed quite good
ran poorly off the bottom and throughout the runs hiccupped and felt restricted at the top end,clutch slip occurred if opened up too quickly so runs were carried out from lower rpm to semi cure this
the bike ran very poorly and the dyno graphs showed it to be dropping off on power at the top end of the rev range about 10,000rpm approx 44mph and 3.6 bhp 2.4 torque with the hiccups in the run clearly shown in the graph as dips in the power curve

test 2
standard bike as supplied with choke lever pulled to evaluate richer condition
bike ran much better mid to top end ,clutch slip still there upon initial throttle opening but grabbed for remainder of run
dyno graphs showed a nice clean curve to the graph and dips in curve almost gone 10,600rpm approx 46mph 3.9 bhp 2.5 torque

test 3
standard bike + carb stripped to reveal a small self tapping screw fixed into the carb in place of the pilot jet so removed and new pilot refitted (this was causing the lean condition that required choke to improve)
bike again ran much better as per test 2 off bottom and mid but with no choke used this time felt a little restricted at the top end again and only revved out to 10,200 power as test 2

test 4
standard bike plus carb needle adjusted no choke
bike ran clean and good off bottom and mid and ran well into upper mid but again high rpm was lower than previously with choke employed indicating a larger main jet required

test 5
standard bike plus needle adjusted and choke used towards high rpm
bike ran best of day on these settings 10,900 rpm 49mph 4.1bhp and 2.6 torque

test6
myth busting myth 1 true or false removing exhaust baffle to gain power/speed
test conducted and results show that power and top speed remained almost identical but the bottom and midrange was down approx0.25 bhp with the baffle removed

ITN took the bike for a blast to check out the end of day results and found them to be a huge improvement over his initial trip on the way he had recorded an on the road speed of 42 previously on the flat and got it up to 47 with much more pull through the gears

this concludes todays testing as now await delivery of a full range of pilot and main jets to improve settings further
next test bigger main jet
this will finish the section of part 1 to establish best baseline settings for a std fizz as a comparison to future tests on performance parts

ill post up dyno graphs in a few days for above forgot to take my dongle to work above figures are from memory but it is quitev good so should be accurate

FUTURE TESTS(hope u guys can help and contribute parts for evaluation wot u got????/ i got most bits but could do with a full range )

carburettors bored std carb out to 18.5 mm area and with bored disc valve cover, std air box and pod filter on various stages

hi comp head for std and tuned 50cc 60cc

exhaust systems std / micron / allspeed / fresco / homoet / peashooters various / handmade specials etc (hope to test these on a std fizz cylinder/then ported fizz cylinder/then 60kit/ported 60 kit) any offers????????

big bore kits 60 chinese kit / ported chinese kit / athena 60 kit / ported athena 60 kit / poss some hybrid kits i have

inner rotor ignition kit pvl / 12v cdi ignition with lights kit

mod disc valve various low / mid / high end timings

any other ideas????

jakey
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
jakey
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:13 pm #2

GREAT RESULTS I WILL BE WATCHING THIS !
fizzys are gathering dust dad

AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
AllSpeed
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:27 pm #3

Ow come on ,this is the sort of Ped stuff i wanna read Gonna be fascinating !

Flika
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Flika
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:42 pm #4

Wow I bet ITN can't believe his luck Were those runs done with the side case on and airfilter in? Be interesting to see a run with a standard pipe and the baffle substituted for a length of non perforated tube.

50cctuning
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
50cctuning
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:45 pm #5

ill do that with aluminium foil tape over the holes for a short test
all done with cover in place and full airbox as it was lean already
1st post edited so reread

Flika
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Flika
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:54 pm #6

I've got a bog stock just re-bored Chinese kit you can try if you need one

Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
Fs1eweb
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 5:58 pm #7

Great stuff Darrell!
Site Trainee Cook and Bottle Washer (YOP) and deluded power crazed individual
Helping the FS1E 6,500 perfect their appetite for a Mid Life Crisis since 2004!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12
Brighton 2013 (Bring it ON!)

kas
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
kas
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 7:19 pm #8

excellent work darrell,i,m watching this one,do you know steve marsay down your way, at burghwallis

Fizzmundo
Fizzy Nut
Fizzmundo
Fizzy Nut

April 4th, 2009, 7:29 pm #9

That's got to be the most interesting post I have read on here in years,great stuff!! I feel like I've learned something.

50cctuning
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire
50cctuning
Fizzmeister Extrodinaire

April 4th, 2009, 7:30 pm #10

no dont know Steve but he,s welcome to pop in and say hello if hes in the area
is he a fs1e web member?