Randall Chain Bass Fishing Report June 2018

July 17th, 2018, 4:44 am #1

This chain of lakes use to be a gem in southern Michigan.  Things sure have changed!  Aggressive weed killing and really low tournament weights.  Trying to piece something together isn't an easy thing to do.  I'm sure everyone who has fished this lake as of late would agree.

RUBF Fishing and Hunting Reports

Follow us on Facebook

July 17th, 2018, 7:31 am #2

Thanks Rick for the trip down memory lane.  I seem to say that a lot now but Randall Chain was always a favorite of mine.
We had some good rallys there and some good catches.  You had a pretty good day overall.
I stopped for lunch one day at the bar that was on the channel and a DNR officer said he just sat there and ticketed the boats that were "fast" in a no wake zone.

July 17th, 2018, 9:35 pm #3

We seem to be dealing with the same grass killing problem here.  
"Gone fishin', be back for deer season!"

July 18th, 2018, 4:00 am #4

Thanks Jack.  I know about the no wake in the channels.  I sped up the video in the editing.  That way it didn't take too  long and you still got to see some of the lake.  
Andy had the R & B there just a few days later.  It took 9 something to win and I believe 5 something to cash a check.  Pitiful for a once great fishery.
You are right about the Rally's!  They were fun on that lake, and that's the main reason I did a video there last month.  Trip down memory lane.

Jim,  are they killing Portage?  Tappen, or something else?

Follow us on Facebook

July 18th, 2018, 7:42 am #5

I looked up at the wall behind the computer and there is a plaque from 1995 that says I won the MATS classic in that year on Randall.
It took 11-6 for the win that year.  So not much has changed.  Second place as i remember was 8 something.

July 18th, 2018, 1:19 pm #6

That's good to know Jack!   Maybe the lakes just cycle through good years.  I know from 2005 to 2012 it was common to see 20 lb. sacks coming from there.  You remember the ones Stan brought in to the scales.   RandallBass.jpg

Follow us on Facebook

July 18th, 2018, 6:14 pm #7

Rick....there's not much grass left in Portage or Mosquito this year.  The one time I was at Clear Fork this year is was pretty much grass free too

July 19th, 2018, 5:42 am #8

Well that stinks Jim!  I was thinking of going to Clear Fork.  Did you do any good when you were there, or was it the dead sea?

Follow us on Facebook

July 20th, 2018, 2:40 am #9

We went at the end of May and they had just had some bad storms.  The lake was muddy and there were trees and branches floating everywhere.  I think we caught 1 fish in about 3 hours.  We packed it up and headed to Pleasant Hill, which was the same scenario

July 20th, 2018, 4:40 am #10

Thanks Jim.  I guess that doesn't rule the lake out then.

Follow us on Facebook