Lake Guntersville 4/2/16 thru 4/8/16

10:23 PM - Apr 17, 2016 #1

I took a trip to Guntersville with 6 other guys. We took down 3 boats and was staying right on the water. The house we rented was on main lake just out side South Sauty creek. We got off with a rough start. A few of us over slept and we ended up taking off a couple hours later then we planned. Got there with out a hitch and got boats out in the water. The wind was blowing straight on to the docks and we had trouble with boats wanting to go under the docks. We had to run up town and get some bigger bumpers and rope to secure the boats so they wouldn't get beat up. So first day no fishing. My buddy was there the week before and wasn't leaving till Sunday. We met up Sunday and he showed me the lay of the land. He had been doing pretty well till Saturday. There was a large storm that came through and they dropped the water level 2 feet. Plus the water temp dropped about 5 degrees. Well we struggled to catch very many or any size. Each day got better and on Thursday dad and I had our best day. We ended up with 23 but biggest was only 4.25lbs. Other guys in the group went crappie fishing several times and they caught some really nice ones just didn't get very many. Our goal was to fish Friday morning and head home Friday evening. Well I woke up Friday and was sick as hell. Dad and I didn't fish. I had fever And chest cold. Other guys went out and ended up catching a few over 4 lbs. Our trip home turned from 9 hour drive to 12 hours do to traffic and snow storms. The water temp was 60 in morning and 64 in evening on Sunday. When we left it was 64 in morning and 68 in evening.  We caught most our fish flipping holes in shallow weeds mats. We saw a lot of Osprey and Eagles. Had a great time and look forward in going back down. I will post some pictures later. 

10:33 PM - Apr 17, 2016 #2

The bass was dad's biggest. It went 4.25lbs. The crappie was over 17". Last picture was best bite I could get the first couple of days. They hit real well after dark!! All cookie cutters right at 12 oz. Lol 

11:54 PM - Apr 17, 2016 #3

Thanks for the report Kevin.  I hope your feeling better since that doctor visit.
RUBF Fishing and Hunting Reports

RUBF Fishing and Hunting Reports

Follow us on Facebook

1:13 AM - Apr 18, 2016 #4

Feeling much better. Actually got some work done around the house today. 

1:27 AM - Apr 18, 2016 #5

Sounds like a rough trip, but it was G'ville!  I'm planning on a trip there in 2018
"Gone fishin', be back for deer season!"

2:49 AM - Apr 21, 2016 #6

It's great that you got to take a trip down to fish a lake as well known as Guntersville.  Too bad the bite wasn't as good as it's known for though.  I'm sure it was fun just to explore it and try to figure it out.  Giant crappie though!  Also sorry to hear you got sick and had a long drive back.
2016 Big Fish
Largemouth: 21.5" 6.46 lbs. Secret Lake Mar. 26

Smallmouth: 22" 5lb 4oz Kalamazoo River

Pike: 31" Paw Paw Lake
Muskie: 
Walleye: 
Brown Trout: 20", Delaware River, July 30