Fly Fishing the Pecos River

June 26th, 2008, 7:18 am #1

Last weekend I took my girlfriend and her father fly fishing. Both wanted to learn and had never been before. Our destination was the Pecos River just north of the town of Pecos, NM. It got off to a bad start when I realized I forgot the tents for our camping trip after we were about an hour from home. Thank goodness for WalMart!

We got there on a Friday around dark and found a great campsite right along the river. After some steaks and smores we hit the sack. Needless to say I could barely sleep. I scouted out the river around 7 AM the next day and found that our campsite was about 20 yards from a great looking trout hole. It was a moderately deep run with large boulders on the near side and overhanging trees on the far side as well as a couple patches of slow water. After a breakfast burrito we hit the water and I taught the finer points of casting a fly. Practice got old for them quick, so I set them up to fish each side of the nice hole and waded downstream to a small undercut bank I spotted. After about 20 minutes I turn around to find another guy about 10 yards above them fishing the same hole. So I decided to walk back up to them to find out what the deal was. As soon as I get there another guy stops with his son and starts fishing. At this point there was two beginner fly fisherman, an older fly fisherman, and a father and son throwing spinners in an area where fishing two was a little tight. Well, I wasn't very pleased with the situation, but didn't have many other options at that point. Fishing etiquette was thrown aside for a minute and I drifted a nymph right down broadway to hook the first trout of the day - a smaller rainbow. This was enough to get the spin fishermen to leave. After another 15 minutes of giving pointers and not casting my two students lost their flies in trees. So while they re-tied I talked to the fly fisherman only to find out that he was a serious yuppie and therefore I understood why he had no respect for others.

Rants aside, we had a good day. My girlfriend Alex had a number of strikes and lost a few, but didn't land any. Her dad caught 2, one of which was a nice rainbow trout...although he didn't want to touch them because they were "slimy". I nearly dropped my rod in the water laughing when he said that. I landed around 15 fish despite not throwing too many casts. Fish were caught on parachute hoppers, ants (both black and cinnamon), Adams flies (size 16-20), stoneflies, Stimulators, and Wooly Buggers. All in all it was a great day until we were chased off the water by a rain storm followed by a hail storm. I am in the middle of a cross country move now, but will post pictures when I get a chance.

This was one of the first trips I was on where I really felt intruded upon by other anglers on multiple occasions (5-6 times). That aspect of the trip was very frustrating and really made me lose faith in anglers as a whole. There was one spot where a guy came up right beside me with his two daughters, was very friendly, and asked me if he could fish there. I was perfectly fine with that because I would much rather see them catch some fish. But, there were other spots where it was grown men who did it without asking including one father with his 10 year old son who would not even let the kid touch a pole. It certainly opened my eyes to new extremes of fishing etiquette. Quite the trip!
Last edited by fishfinderms on June 26th, 2008, 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

June 26th, 2008, 11:29 pm #2

Sounds like a very nice outing. Fly rodding is something I've never tried.

June 27th, 2008, 8:33 pm #3

Sounds like a fun trip.
RUBF Fishing and Hunting Reports

Follow us on Facebook

July 17th, 2008, 1:34 pm #4

Well, we didn't get any pictures of fish, partially due to rain and unlucky timing, but I did have a few nice casting pictures to share.

Alex casting on the Pecos

Alex with the Pecos River Valley in the background

Alex's father, Michael, floating a fly down the Pecos in the most productive spot of the day

July 17th, 2008, 4:13 pm #5

Beautiful photos.

Follow us on Facebook