BW 6/8 - 6/10 trip

June 19th, 2018, 7:45 pm #1

Well had another successful trip. Even though it was a good trip, I am still a little bummed with the trips results. I guess I have become spoiled up there. So we ended up with around 200 +/- fish in 2.5 days of fishing. And to make matters worse we didn't catch a SM over 4#'s. Weather was not on our side this trip, first and last day were blue bird skys, that slowed fishing down, and with the early warm weather they had, I feel like we hit the mark for the big bass by about a week and half. 2# SM was the average size we caught and most pike being under 30". The guy I took this year had a great time, he really appreciated the "real" experience of canoeing and camping, I then informed him this trip was an intro and if he wanted the real deal lets go on a 5 day trip and cover a larger area, not just base camp. I realized after this trip I need to start taking more pictures of the area. I will do that for sure on next years trip.

For the fishing, we caught a majority of the fish on #3 & #4 mepps spinners. Did catch couple on top water, a few on a swim bait and shad rap style cranks, but spinner was key. I did catch 8 walleye on a 6" firetiger thunder stick, as well as some bass and pike.

Did manage to catch myself a couple 8# walleye this trip, my biggest for up there.
20180611_190051.jpg
Also managed to land me a 20# pike, which is my biggest for this section of the BW's. These things are hard to land in a canoe without a net, so we paddled to shore after it pulled us around a little. The guy I took also managed a 15#er in the same area on a spoon, both were 42" long. Picture doesn't do this fish justice.
IMG956789.jpg

A little shore lunch of a couple smaller walleye I caught, the rest were filleted and came home with me for a dinner at a later time.  

IMG956808.jpg
Seen a 350-400+ pound bear paddling in the first day. So a boundary water first for me was pancakes in the morning, my guest request. So I was trying to think how to mix it without bringing extra stuff, decided one of my protein shaker cups with the wire whisk ball in them should do the trick and worked out perfect. Day one pancakes came out great as did day two, except for a couple crunchy bites in the first pancake for my guest. I laughed and said really? I said there was a lot more floaties in yesterdays water  then today's. I gave him crap about it since he cooked and burnt some of the fish the night before, I told him must have been some of his left over burnt fish.

June 19th, 2018, 8:18 pm #2

I'm glad it worked out for you and your client.
You're getting to become more busy at these trips
Those filets in the pan should have made it all worth while.
Good job

June 20th, 2018, 5:05 pm #3

Man that looks fun!  You caught some real quality fish T.J.  That pike is a bruiser!
RUBF Fishing and Hunting Reports

RUBF Fishing and Hunting Reports

Follow us on Facebook