Ponds And Winter

Robyn
Fishy Brainiac
Robyn
Fishy Brainiac

4:43 PM - Mar 19, 2009 #1

My web page on winterizing ponds and also other season-specific pond information can be found at http://www.fishpondinfo.com/winter.htm

I really need to update the page though.

Our resident expert on the extremes of winter is Koi Krazy (Elaine) who keeps fish outdoors in Zone 2 year round.
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 4 cats, 1 guinea pig, 1 dwarf hamster, 1 redbellied turtle, 4 chickens, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (20 or 50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds.

Nicketti
Fishy Member
Nicketti
Fishy Member

9:17 PM - Sep 18, 2018 #2

Hi Robyn,
I've haven't posted in awhile as things have been going fairly smoothly. However....my luft pump died this winter after 5 years of use. I do not see a viable alternative pump suggested on your winterizing page. I used the pump by setting it on the deck next to the pond with a large heavy plastic tote over the top of it. I have a small pond, about 150 gallons. It's about 12 inches deep. I live in New York State. Any suggestions for a replacement pump?
Thanks.

Robyn
Fishy Brainiac
Robyn
Fishy Brainiac

7:58 PM - Sep 20, 2018 #3

Hi.  Sorry I didn't see your post (don't like this new forum host!).  I have only used the Luft pump in my ponds for aeration.  They sell one now that's really meant for inside but I use it outside.  Here is one place that sells it:  https://www.thatpetplace.com/coralife-luft-pump
Could you not find one, or did you want to try a different kind?  Any large aerator will work to some degree depending on all the factors (pond depth, temperature, line length, etc.).  Your pond is shallow so I would worry about it freezing.  Do you have a de-icer too, or were you relying solely on the aeration to keep it open?
Servant to 4 cats, 1 guinea pig, 1 dwarf hamster, 1 redbellied turtle, 4 chickens, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (20 or 50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds.

Nicketti
Fishy Member
Nicketti
Fishy Member

9:19 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #4

I could not find one like the one I have been using for many years. (the one you had originally suggested on your winterizing page) I do not have a deicer. The luft pump has kept a hole in the ice most of the time. Occasionally the temperature does get cold enough for the pond to freeze over. When that happens, I fill a large pot with hot water and set it on the pond and let it melt a hole in the ice. This usually only happens  a few days during the winter.
I followed the link to the pump you suggested. Somehow this appears quite a bit smaller than the one I have been using. Maybe it's just the picture. I guess I just have to shop around.

Robyn
Fishy Brainiac
Robyn
Fishy Brainiac

8:29 PM - Oct 02, 2018 #5

The pump in that link is a different color and size but has about the same force of air that comes out.  I think they stopped making the pond Luft pump.

Nicketti
Fishy Member
Nicketti
Fishy Member

8:25 PM - Oct 03, 2018 #6

Thanks!
🐠