Now oscar looks on the way out :(

1:31 AM - Aug 01, 2018 #1

I posted a while ago about my pleco who got sick and died. Now his tankmate, an oscar, is also looking very ill. His left eye is bulging outward, almost like it looks ready to fall clear out of his head (extremely disturbing to see). He is floating up at the top of the tank, but if he gets disturbed he starts violently seizing and flailing a foot or two in random directions, slamming into everything, and twitching until he stops moving.

I am pretty sure he won't last the night. I did a big water change, and have treated the tank with Kanaplex in the water (I had it already because I've used it in the past for my goldfish, and the package says it is good for "pop eye"), but I don't know what else can be done about it. The other tankmate is a pike cichlid who doesn't look as bad, but is unusually lethargic and hiding at the bottom.

My water parameters seem okay. Zero ammonia, zero nitrite, nitrates below 10 ppm. The pH last I checked a few days ago was at 7. The tank temperature is around 79-80 degrees (I don't have a heater in the tank, currently. I do own one and it does work, but I figured I wouldn't need it because the water is really warm anyway and doesn't vary by more than a couple degrees throughout the day).

Anyway, I really don't think he has a chance but I treated with the antibiotic because I would feel bad if I didn't. It is very upsetting for me to see this happen to these fish; they are rescues and I wanted to help them best I could, but it's not going well.

Robyn
Fishy Brainiac
Robyn
Fishy Brainiac

8:18 PM - Aug 02, 2018 #2

I'm sorry about your oscar.  I'm also sorry that this new forum is not telling me there are new posts!
It sounds like he has popeye which means an internal bacterial infection.
I would expect there to be water issues with such problems but your water seems to be testing fine.  It's been a few days since you posted.  How are the fish now?  A 50% water change with the addition of dechlorinator and some aquarium salt could help if there is in fact something wrong in the water that you have not detected (as long as it's not also in the tap water).  Water changes are also a good first step when things are going wrong, and we don't know why.
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 4 cats, 1 guinea pig, 1 dwarf hamster, 1 redbellied turtle, 4 chickens, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (20 or 50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds.

3:19 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #3

My pike cichlid has been attacking him lately. It's strange--all the fish got along okay when they were healthy, but when the pleco got sick, they turned on him. Now that the oscar is sick, the remaining tankmate, the pick cichlid, has started attacking him several times a day.

I have been treating with Kanaplex. As of today I have begun the second round of treatment (so the fourth dose in total). His eyeball sometimes seems to go back into position, and other times swells outward again.

I think I need to separate the pike cichlid. I am thinking about adding a partition to separate them. Or otherwise, I could move the pike cichlid to the tank where the pleco lived out his last days, but I guess I would have to disinfect it? It's dry but the pleco died in it. Do aquatic germs continue to survive even if the tank dries out completely?

Robyn
Fishy Brainiac
Robyn
Fishy Brainiac

8:21 PM - Aug 08, 2018 #4

When animals become sick, other animals know, and they often bully or attack the sick animal.  I'm not sure why because it's really not to their advantage (unless they were starving).  A partition would well because you wouldn't need another tank.  If the pleco had something infectious, it might still be in the dry tank but your other two fish have already been exposed anyway so it wouldn't matter.  Some parasites, bacteria, and funguses could survive a mostly dried out tank but most of them would have been on and in the fish and not the water.  You can disinfect anything non-porous by soaking it in dilute bleach for a day or more.  Then, rinse and soak in fresh water with a double dose of dechlorinator for a day or more, and then rinse again to be sure all the bleach is inactive.
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 4 cats, 1 guinea pig, 1 dwarf hamster, 1 redbellied turtle, 4 chickens, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (20 or 50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds.