Finding frogs

martyinoregon

Aug 11 2018, 11:22 PM #1

My first post here:  I live in Eugene OR, am setting up a new small pond, and want some frogs. I cannot find tadpoles for sale. Any suggestions?  I tried looking in a local pond for tadpoles or eggs, with no luck. And people living nearby questioned me about what I was doing there. People here have problems with intruders, so I am reluctant to try other ponds. I really want fish and frogs in my pond! Any suggestions?

Robyn
Fishy Brainiac
Robyn
Fishy Brainiac

Aug 15 2018, 07:08 PM #2

Hi.  I missed your post.  Sorry.  Welcome to the forum!

The local pond store may sell tadpoles but you may not know the species or even if they are native. Online stores seem to only sell bullfrog tadpoles which are illegal to release in your state.
You might start by asking local pond or koi clubs.  Here is one in Oregon.
http://www.oregonkoiandwatergardensociety.com/
You don't want to trespass on anyone's land to get tadpoles.

Also, if you build a pond, the following saying is true from the baseball move.
"If you build it, they will come."

Frogs and toads will find your pond.  It may take a few years but they will.  When I put in my 1800 gallon pond, I had toads laying eggs the first week!  As long as you have some moving water, they will hop towards it.
Robyn, Analytical Chemist, Zone 6/7, Maryland
Servant to 4 cats, 1 rabbit, 1 guinea pig, 1 dwarf hamster, 1 redbellied turtle, 4 chickens, 3 freshwater aquariums (65, 50, & 20 gallons), 2 saltwater aquariums (6 and 12 gallon nano cube reefs), 7 outdoor ponds (1800, 153, 50, 30, 20, 20, & 12 gallons), 1 indoor pond (20 or 50 gallons, winter only), crickets, mealworms, and hundreds of fish (of about 18+ species), amphibians, snails, shrimp, corals, crabs, worms, and so on in those aquariums and ponds.