"You Were a Lot Healthier Before You quit Smoking!"

betsybe

19 Mar 2002, 16:37 #21

Well, I'm glad i read this thread, I feel a little better now. I don't have anything surfacing, but I'm not feeling more healthy like I thought I would. I've had to revisit some of the other reasons I quit smoking, because the first reason was that I wanted to feel better. My "inner-junkie" has been whispering "well if you're not going to feel better, you might as well smoke" It's addiction rearing it's ugly head. Happens whan I'm not even wanting a cigarette. I have some other really important reasons for quitting too, so I'm focusing on those for now, with the hope that eventually I will feel better physically. It's only been 3 weeks for crying out loud! Have some Patience! I think that cigarettes really reinforced that satisfaction-on-demand mentality in me and maybe in all of us. So here I am with high resolve, to never take anothr puff.

betsybee

marty (gold)

19 Mar 2002, 17:36 #22

My doctor said this to me last week, but he WAS joking.

I had a chest infection, following a bout of flu in January. So I've seen him twice in two months, compared with once in the previous 8 years!!!! He was sympathising with the fact that I've quit smoking, started going to the gym three times a week, introduced a n improved eating regimen (regular breakfast, lots of fruit and water included in my diet, etc).

He said "It doesn't seem fair that you're doing all the right things, and you get these two things in quick succession". I replied "I hope you say the same thing to me when I'm 95 years old".

As they say, even non-smokers get sick sometimes. But statistically, non-smokers will get sick less often, will respond to treatment faster when they do get sick, and they will suffer from far fewer life-threatening diseases than smokers.

Alice

19 Mar 2002, 20:01 #23

Hi Everybody.
I just had a scary 3 day asthma attack. Went to doctors!! AGAIN. 2nd time on heavy meds since beginning of January. But that's OK. At least I STOPPED KILLING myself.
I like this thread too and I've been reading posts since November about people feeling worse since they quit smoking. I quit smoking in October, finally!
Well, my quit is defininitely a combination. I feel much better all around energy wise, except my asthma has gotten worse in ways! I've really been educated here at Freedom thanks to people like Grumpy Linda who has lots of scientific knowledge about what tobacco companies put in cigarettes , BRONCHODILATORS!!
Just this past Saturday I was in our town's local walk-in-clinic, waiting for 2 hours to see the doctor who immediately hooked me up to an oxygen breathing machine to help clear my lungs for 10 minutes. Image (I could hardly walk - allergies, my lungs were twitchy) I'll finish up this post to say, I have allergic asthma SOOOOOOOOO if I were smoking TOO, I'd be ALOT WORSE.Image
The doctor, a wonderful woman, her first question with her hands on her hips and wiggling her finger in my face was,
"Do you SMOKE?Image"
I was so happy to say, "NO, I QUIT" Imagefor the first time in 30 years I didn't lie to a doctor!!!.
Happy to be nicotine free and getting better NOT worse!!!
YQS
AliceImage

Joel

08 Apr 2002, 20:47 #24

Image For Eener

ThreecrowsGold

08 Apr 2002, 22:58 #25

Linda, would you believe someone actually said I looked better when I was smoking because of my weight gain. (I have gained 20 pounds but at least I have lungs). I actually felt bad for about 1 second and then thought: Hey, at least fat girls can walk and breath at the same time. LOL! Still clean and thankful for FREEDOM

Thanks for the post.

Liz

Anna GOLD

09 Apr 2002, 19:46 #26

My hubby has also said this to me...(and I'm sure my dr thinks I'm nuts).

Since I quit smoking, I've had a sinus infection, some nasty stomach bug thing, and most recently, chest pain, dizziness and high blood pressure. Saw my dr on Friday and she was very pleased when I told her I had quit. Seems the chest pain and high blood pressure were a direct result from a energy booster/fat burner I was taking; since she told me to quit those, the episodes have definitely slowed WAYYY down. However, I'm still having dizzy spells that we will be checking into.

When I mentioned to her that all this started after quitting smoking, she said that existing problems will usually surface after quitting. But under no circumstances should I start smoking again; I told her that was not a problem!Image I even told her about Freedom and whyquit.com so she could pass the info on to other patients if she wanted to.

Have a great day, everybody!!

3 Months 1 Week 5 Days 7 Hours 45 Minutes 37 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 2353. Money saved: $588.36.

marty (gold)

09 Apr 2002, 20:00 #27

I like the sound of your doctor, Anna Image . She sounds like a clued up lady !!! That point about the energy booster you were taking raises an important point, which is that people quitting who are already on some form of regular medication should consult their doctors when they quit, in case the medication needs adjusting. There is a thread called "Medication Adjustments when Quitting" which I can't find, but maybe someone else will bring up. In your case, your doctor took you right off the drug, and I guess that's because your energy doesn't need boosting now you've quit Image

The dizzy spells are probably not in any way quit related,. They're common in the first few days, often caused by the extra oxygen flow to the brain, but after 3 months they're almost certainly something else. Glad your doctor is investigating that for you Image

Joel

18 Apr 2002, 12:42 #28

I am reposting my reply to Linda here in lieu of the post from Marie Ree and her breathing question.

Hello Linda:

This post brings up such an important point to work with your health care providers in the event that something seems wrong after quitting. For some people things may just happen at some point in time after quitting that were going to happen whether they had quit smoking or not. In a few other people, conditions that may have actually existed when they were smoking and were being masked may now present noticeable symptoms for the first time .

Either way, there are likely treatments available for these conditions if they just get properly diagnosed. What it so ironic is how a people can be afraid to go to a doctor for risk that he or she may prescribe a medication for a problem that smoking was "treating" and now the patient is afraid of the side effects of the new medication.

Well in the case of the bronchodialators you had said you found out were in cigarettes, the prescribed medication may be the same as ones found in smoke, but now not being accompanied by the thousands of other chemicals, poisons and cancer causing agents that they were delivered simultaneously with your cigarettes. Everyone should know for a fact that there is no drug that is ever going to be prescribed that carries a one in two chance of being fatal--and cigarettes do carry that risk.

Life goes on after quitting. Most people do in fact get healthier and don't develop such reactions from quitting. But there are people who do have masked problems or problems that were being treated by medications already that may require dose adjustments after quitting. This is because your body eventually returns to normal after quitting.

Normal doesn't mean what it was like the day before you quit, normal means returning to a state that your body was designed to be in before you ever took up smoking--with aging thrown in. No one knows what that normal state is until they get there--and for some people normal is a state where they have some chemical imbalances or conditions that may require medical intervention. It can be very uncomfortable or even dangerous to ignore such conditions and just write them off to not smoking.

So again, for those of you who quit and feel great, know that this is a common reaction and you should be grateful that things have gone the way they have. For those of you who have discovered problems, know too that this is possible but there are likely therapies of one sort or another to make these problems better and you should not put up with sustained suffering any longer than necessary. Both groups should know that they are healthier since they quit for the mere fact that they did quit and will likely stay healthier, smell better, have more control over their life, and likely live happier and longer as long as they always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

John (Gold)

26 May 2002, 11:43 #29

krisc(BRONZE)

26 May 2002, 14:46 #30

This is a question for Joel or anyone who might have gone through something similiar. Since quitting I have not been coughing or bringing up phlem like I am hearing about so much however I am sleeping for as much as 3 hours more a night and am tired much earlier in the evening than I used to be. Also my skin has broken out worse than it ever did as a teen ager although my color is much better. My question-could these things be the result of my body slowly ridding itself of toxins from cigs even after a month? I do realize you can not give med advice-just curious if anyone knows anything about this. Thanks.
Kristin
1 month 2 days