“You said it would get better. It's just as bad as the day I quit smoking!”

Subconscious use cue extinguishment
Joel

21 Jul 2001, 18:50 #11

This article better than any other I use I think clarifies the difference between the physical and the psychological "urges." They are both real, but they are different. Not in the way they feel, but in the way they can be controlled. Both will be overcome though as long as you always know to never take another puff!

Joel

Last edited by Joel on 09 Oct 2012, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

08 Jan 2002, 21:40 #12

There may be a few bumps along Freedom's Road but they become fewer and fewer, and further and further between, until the road becomes almost as smooth as glass! It may be that Freedom's Road carries you deep within the forest of healing but don't get lost among the many trees. Quitting is a temporary transition period from an endlessly feeding nicotine addict to a comfortable and relaxed X-smoker! Focus on the positive and let the healing continue! Unlike a healing broken bone, if you pull this cast off early, the bone is sure to break again. Baby steps to comfort! Look at your list of reasons! This is doable! Breathe deep, hug hard, live long, YQB John : )

DubiouslyDos

12 Jun 2002, 01:00 #13

What a great article for today. I had to run errands at work this morning, among other places, I had to go to a Big Box store - I found myself waiting in line right next to the HUGE cigarette conter. My first thought, like a reflex was...."Hey, how many cigarettes do I have left, do I need another pack?".....Then it clicked, HEY YOU DON'T SMOKE ANYMORE REMEMBER???? The man in front of me was buying chewing tobacco, but he smelled like an ashtray, I looked at all those cartons, packs, and products and thought to myself, "You're nicotine free now, you don't need this anymore"...My crave today was just a few seconds...and it was gone in a flash - as I left the store, I was proud of what I have accomplished, with Freedoms help these last couple weeks. This article is a keeper!!!
Dos (Dubiously)
X-Smoker who is never going to take another puff
2 Weeks, 2 Hours, 2 minutes.....421 cigarettes I chose not to smoke and a savings of $63.15
Last edited by DubiouslyDos on 06 Nov 2009, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Joanne Gold

26 Sep 2003, 10:53 #14

"Quitting smoking is a learning experience. Every time you overcome an urge you will have overcome another obstacle that threatened your status as an ex-smoker. As time goes by, you will run out of obstacles and you can comfortably go through life a happier and healthier person. All you need to remember and practice to stay an ex-smoker is - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF."

John (Gold)

11 Mar 2004, 11:26 #15

I can allow the conscious "thought" of a nice juicy steak to linger in my mind for as long as I want. Early in my recovery I could do the same with the thought of smoking nicotine if that's what I chose to do. Subconscious triggers are different. A trigger may cause thoughts of smoking to be generated but the triggered crave episode itself will not last longer than three minutes. Be sure and look at a clock as time distortion during recovery is very real and your days can feel 20% longer than normal.

So how do you help move those pesky thoughts along? Well, there are a couple of ways. Reflecting upon the "thought" in an open and honest manner could cause you to abandon it as unworthy of your mind's time.
Thought: Gee, I'd sure like just one cigarette
Truth: A drug addict can't have just one, so I need to picture the thousands and thousands of others that come along with it.

Another means of helping move a pesky thought along might be to relax, take a few slow deep breaths and try clearing your mind by concentrating and focusing on something new - a shape, your favorite color, an object, a place or, yes, even a your favorite food.

Another means may be to acknowledge the thought but to put it into proper perspective.

Calm all needless fears. Don't be afraid of the unknown up ahead as what's waiting is the real "you!" Although it may feel like it during recovery, you're leaving no part of you behind.

The mind's dependency recovery weather can change very rapidly and delay, distraction, relaxation, deep breaths, cool water, and truth are some of your best tools while you get the hang of things. The bottom line always remains the same. Thoughts and craves can't hurt, burn us, cut us, make us bleed, or destroy our glory. The path to comfort and lasting freedom is the same for all of us - no nicotine just one day at a time, Never Take Another Puff!

FoolNoMore2

13 Jul 2006, 10:54 #16

This site never ceases to amaze me...and it just proves how important it is to continue to read, read and read some more.

This is my 8th day and I have experienced this exact scenario...I got through it, but was hanging on by my fingernails all day and night. I should have looked for help on this site earlier, but didn't. I am so grateful this topic popped up tonight. I realize that circumstances which transpired throughout the course of the day triggered my feelings of being unworthy of being successful and there are certain people in my life who feel pretty lousy about themselves and would just love to see me fail. Not going to happen today!!! Never take another puff!

Barb- Free and healing for 8 days, 10 hrs & 51 minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 day & 4 hrs. by avoiding the use of cigarettes that would have cost me $62.06.

Marixpress

21 Sep 2006, 00:21 #17

It does get better just hold out for one more day.

sunflower39861

15 Feb 2007, 03:30 #18

Thanks for bumping this thread up today Joel. Day 8 which was yesterday for me, was a really rough one.
I had read this thread a few days ago and couldn't find it again, but remembering what you said helped me get thru my rough day.
I'm definitely going to put this one in my favs so I don't loose it. lol
ImageBarb -Smoke Free and Healing for Nine Days, 4 Hours and 29 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 14 Hours, by avoiding the use of 459 death sticks that would have cost me $143.60.
Last edited by sunflower39861 on 06 Nov 2009, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

Apryl9

31 Mar 2007, 02:42 #19

Gosh I am so glad I found this thread, maybe I'm not so weird after all. I just couldn't figure out why it was getting "worse". I think I understand a liitle more!
ImageFree and healing for 7 days.
Last edited by Apryl9 on 06 Nov 2009, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

savide7

08 Apr 2007, 13:47 #20

Yea!!! You are here, and no little 4 inch tube of tobacco is going to hold you hostage! I finally broke my one month plateau. Never take another puff!
Everybody here is holding everybody's hand!
Debbie