Yes you can...A message from Lorraine

SweetLorraine (Gold)

05 May 2004, 20:50 #21

Thanks for bringing this up Bill. I still agree with everything I said Image. It's been an amazing journey.

A few weeks ago I bought a new car I drove around in it for another week before I realized it didn't come with either an ashtray or a lighter.

I'm sure there's nothing unusual about the lack of smoking accessories. But it certainly is a big change for me not to notice them. A few years ago I would have noticed on the test drive and been frantic. Image There was a time when I thought wing windows an absolute neccessitiy in an automobile. Image

Not smoking continues to bring pleasant surprises into my life. One of the biggest is the total ease of being without an active addiction to feed. Quitting takes effort in the beginning. Being quit is effortless. Deep comfort is a benefit I'm grateful for each day.

When will comfort happen for you? I can't tell you, in my case it snuck up on me when I wasn't looking. I can tell you this though, as long as you remember, just for today not a single puff no matter what, then comfort will be be yours.

yqf

Lorraine, Gold Club Image

P.S. New cars really do smell great!
Last edited by SweetLorraine (Gold) on 31 Dec 2013, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

gold osomashi

23 Oct 2004, 15:36 #22

hi lorraine, your words are just what the doctored ordered. IDEAL for newbies, and for folks like me at just over 1 month. Tonight I had a bit of a shock when a psychological -dependency thought hit me. I was scared but held on thanks to Freedom. This really comforted me. A remarkable and compelling read. I loved the part where you took things at blind faith then it all came together. many thanks Lorraine. and thanks Joel for re-posting.
mari, 1 month and 14 days

SweetLorraine (Gold)

24 Oct 2004, 20:57 #23

ImageHi Mari,

You are the reason I wrote this. I wanted others to know that you do get past all the doubts, thoughts, urges and cravings. I still, obviously, stop by Freedom and read on a faily regular basis. It's good to be reminded what the initial struggle was like.

I read your post about meeting smoking friends for a drink and the feelings that produced and felt such empathy for you . By the time I read your post the crisis had already passed, so I didn't post to your thread because of Freedom's policy ( Bringing negative posts to the top after the crisis has passed[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF] [/font] ).

You are doing this, your quit will grow into something you cherish as long as you remember, just for today, not a single puff, no matter what. I'm rooting for you.

yqf

Lorraine Gold Club Image
Last edited by SweetLorraine (Gold) on 31 Dec 2013, 01:47, edited 2 times in total.

TOM DPLN1 GOLD

24 Dec 2004, 02:44 #24

Image GIVE YOURSELF THE GIFT OF LIFE.

John (Gold)

01 Jan 2005, 22:26 #25

Yes you can!
  • The next few minutes are all that matter & each is doable!
  • No crave episode will be longer than 3 minutes
  • Look at a clock as time distortion is a very real recovery symptom
  • Do not skip meals as nicotine is no longer feeding you
  • Work on spreading your daily food intake out more evenly
  • Natural fruit juice will help stabilize blood sugar the first three days
  • Take a moment towrite down your list of reasons for quitting
  • If any challenge seems bigger than you read your list.
  • Slow deep breaths, a nice cool glass of water, yes you can!
  • If you're a big caffeine drinker consider try cutting intake by half
  • Nicotine doubled the rate at which your body depleted caffeine
  • Try leaving alcohol alone until you get your quitting legs under you
  • Or at least take EXTREME care with alcohol during early recovery
  • Within 72 hours withdrawal will peak in intensity
  • Nicotine's half-life is roughly 2 hours.
  • Within 72 hours your blood and body will be nicotine free
  • You're not fighting a carton, pack or whole cigarette but just 1 puff
  • If you take one puff you'll be forced to do nicotine detox again
  • You're not that strong but then you don't need to be.
  • Nicotine is just a chemical with an I.Q. of zero. It cannot think.
  • The next few minutes are entirely doable.
  • Only one rule ... no nicotine just one day at a time
  • Never Take Another Puff !
Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Jul 2009, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

23 Feb 2005, 03:40 #26

For all us newbies still finding our way. More proof that all we need to do is hold fast to the One Rule - No Nicotine TODAY. NTAP!

Thanks Lorraine.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on 31 Dec 2013, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)

25 Mar 2005, 21:01 #27

• Not one tastebud inside either lung, where we intentionally sucked smoke
  • No love for the 43 carcinogens in each puff
  • No love for any of the 4,000 non-flavor chemicals
  • No love for having waited too long and badly needing a fix
  • No love for having interrupted some of life's best moments to leave and feed
  • No love for paying our own money to slowly destroy our body's ability to receive and transport life-giving oxygen
  • No love for killing ourself 13 to 14 years early
  • Knowledge that 100% of cigarette flavor additives are still available in non-addictive form
  • Knowledge that the more than 200 neurochemicals we used nicotine to steal were each already ours.
  • Knowledge that arresting our chemical dependency and returning neurochemical control to us and life is as basic as no nicotine just one day at a time, to Never Take Another Puff!
  • An appreciation for the fact that every cessation related event we experience during this amazing temporary journey of re-adjustment is part of our healing at the physical (re-sensitization), subconscious (trigger re-conditioning) or conscious level (an opportunity to shed honest light on years of denial rationalizations, minimizations and blame transference).
  • An understanding that with each passing day the challenges will gradually become fewer, shorter in duration and generally less intense.
  • An understanding that should we experience a few days during early recovery without significant challenge that we will naturally drop our coping defenses, and when one is at last encountered it may feel more intense - a wonderful sign that the gaps between challenges are widening.
Our dependency is now under arrest.
Free and healing, the next few moments are doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on 06 Jul 2009, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Sal GOLD.ffn

09 Feb 2006, 06:27 #28

Image Fixating on a cigarette
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on 06 Jul 2009, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold

24 Aug 2007, 22:51 #29

Yes YOU can. We all can, by choosing to not take a puff today.

johnnynonic

19 Jan 2008, 12:21 #30

ImageQuitting can be as easy as you make it - the faster you put the information available at Freedom into pratice the easier it will be.
Lorraine