CdnpheonixGold
CdnpheonixGold

August 15th, 2002, 2:14 am #11

Sweet, Sweet Lorraine,

You posted this one the day I quit! I think I remember reading it at some point during one of my brain fogs. I'm currently adding a post in my diary with my favorite links, read this one, added it to my list, and decided it needed to come up . . . just in case some newer-than-me newbie or lurker needs to see it.

Love, Peace, and Freedom!
YQS
C
3W 15h 39m 49s (-649 cigarettes)

OBob Gold
OBob Gold

October 22nd, 2002, 12:24 pm #12

A sweet post from a sweet goldbie...

FruityPatti
FruityPatti

December 17th, 2002, 11:36 pm #13

I am glad you brought this post up, what an inspiration! Well said and SOOO true!
Patti

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

September 12th, 2003, 8:03 pm #14

1) I do not smoke because I enjoy it - I smoke because I'm addicted to nicotine.

2) Smoking has no benefits.

3) One day at a time, yes you can!

janetd (GOLD)
janetd (GOLD)

January 11th, 2004, 10:15 am #15

Heya, Newbies, Sweet Lorraine is now Gold X Two! She is my dear quit sis, a month ahead of me! Read her wonderful message, and take note!

yqs, Janet :)
Two Years One Month +

SweetLorraine (Gold)
SweetLorraine (Gold)

January 22nd, 2004, 9:53 pm #16

For the newbies

wackylaurie
wackylaurie

January 23rd, 2004, 1:27 am #17

Wonderful post SweetLorraine,

I too am going on blind faith that you guys are telling the truth and that one day I will feel comfortable in my own skin. I wrote in my post today that i think I am hiding out in my house because nothing I do feels truely right. I'll just keep waiting One Day At a Time!
Laurie
I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Weeks 10 Hours 4 Minutes 27 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 685. Money saved: $85.68.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

March 17th, 2004, 12:42 am #18

Yes you can!
Last edited by John (Gold) on July 6th, 2009, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kattatonic1 gold4
kattatonic1 gold4

April 15th, 2004, 8:59 am #19

SweetLorraine clicked the heels of her magic shoes together and repeated,
"There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

How is it I've never read this wonderful post? Thank you Lorraine! Just what I needed to read tonight.

~ Kay ~
Celebrating 3.73 Months of Freedom.

BillW Gold.ffn
BillW Gold.ffn

May 4th, 2004, 9:44 pm #20

for anyone from last night who might want to invest in their lifespan, not just their portfolio.... You can do this!

SweetLorraine (Gold)
SweetLorraine (Gold)

May 5th, 2004, 8:50 pm #21

Thanks for bringing this up Bill. I still agree with everything I said . It's been an amazing journey.

A few weeks ago I bought a new car I drove around in it for another week before I realized it didn't come with either an ashtray or a lighter.

I'm sure there's nothing unusual about the lack of smoking accessories. But it certainly is a big change for me not to notice them. A few years ago I would have noticed on the test drive and been frantic. There was a time when I thought wing windows an absolute neccessitiy in an automobile.

Not smoking continues to bring pleasant surprises into my life. One of the biggest is the total ease of being without an active addiction to feed. Quitting takes effort in the beginning. Being quit is effortless. Deep comfort is a benefit I'm grateful for each day.

When will comfort happen for you? I can't tell you, in my case it snuck up on me when I wasn't looking. I can tell you this though, as long as you remember, just for today not a single puff no matter what, then comfort will be be yours.

yqf

Lorraine, Gold Club

P.S. New cars really do smell great!
Last edited by SweetLorraine (Gold) on December 31st, 2013, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

gold osomashi
gold osomashi

October 23rd, 2004, 3:36 pm #22

hi lorraine, your words are just what the doctored ordered. IDEAL for newbies, and for folks like me at just over 1 month. Tonight I had a bit of a shock when a psychological -dependency thought hit me. I was scared but held on thanks to Freedom. This really comforted me. A remarkable and compelling read. I loved the part where you took things at blind faith then it all came together. many thanks Lorraine. and thanks Joel for re-posting.
mari, 1 month and 14 days

SweetLorraine (Gold)
SweetLorraine (Gold)

October 24th, 2004, 8:57 pm #23

Hi Mari,

You are the reason I wrote this. I wanted others to know that you do get past all the doubts, thoughts, urges and cravings. I still, obviously, stop by Freedom and read on a faily regular basis. It's good to be reminded what the initial struggle was like.

I read your post about meeting smoking friends for a drink and the feelings that produced and felt such empathy for you . By the time I read your post the crisis had already passed, so I didn't post to your thread because of Freedom's policy ( Bringing negative posts to the top after the crisis has passed[font=ARIAL, GEORGIA, 'TIMES NEW ROMAN', TIMES, SERIF] [/font] ).

You are doing this, your quit will grow into something you cherish as long as you remember, just for today, not a single puff, no matter what. I'm rooting for you.

yqf

Lorraine Gold Club
Last edited by SweetLorraine (Gold) on December 31st, 2013, 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

TOM DPLN1 GOLD
TOM DPLN1 GOLD

December 24th, 2004, 2:44 am #24

GIVE YOURSELF THE GIFT OF LIFE.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

January 1st, 2005, 10:26 pm #25

Yes you can!
  • The next few minutes are all that matter & each is doable!
  • No crave episode will be longer than 3 minutes
  • Look at a clock as time distortion is a very real recovery symptom
  • Do not skip meals as nicotine is no longer feeding you
  • Work on spreading your daily food intake out more evenly
  • Natural fruit juice will help stabilize blood sugar the first three days
  • Take a moment towrite down your list of reasons for quitting
  • If any challenge seems bigger than you read your list.
  • Slow deep breaths, a nice cool glass of water, yes you can!
  • If you're a big caffeine drinker consider try cutting intake by half
  • Nicotine doubled the rate at which your body depleted caffeine
  • Try leaving alcohol alone until you get your quitting legs under you
  • Or at least take EXTREME care with alcohol during early recovery
  • Within 72 hours withdrawal will peak in intensity
  • Nicotine's half-life is roughly 2 hours.
  • Within 72 hours your blood and body will be nicotine free
  • You're not fighting a carton, pack or whole cigarette but just 1 puff
  • If you take one puff you'll be forced to do nicotine detox again
  • You're not that strong but then you don't need to be.
  • Nicotine is just a chemical with an I.Q. of zero. It cannot think.
  • The next few minutes are entirely doable.
  • Only one rule ... no nicotine just one day at a time
  • Never Take Another Puff !
Last edited by John (Gold) on July 6th, 2009, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

February 23rd, 2005, 3:40 am #26

For all us newbies still finding our way. More proof that all we need to do is hold fast to the One Rule - No Nicotine TODAY. NTAP!

Thanks Lorraine.
Last edited by JoeJFree Gold on December 31st, 2013, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

John (Gold)
John (Gold)

March 25th, 2005, 9:01 pm #27

• Not one tastebud inside either lung, where we intentionally sucked smoke
  • No love for the 43 carcinogens in each puff
  • No love for any of the 4,000 non-flavor chemicals
  • No love for having waited too long and badly needing a fix
  • No love for having interrupted some of life's best moments to leave and feed
  • No love for paying our own money to slowly destroy our body's ability to receive and transport life-giving oxygen
  • No love for killing ourself 13 to 14 years early
  • Knowledge that 100% of cigarette flavor additives are still available in non-addictive form
  • Knowledge that the more than 200 neurochemicals we used nicotine to steal were each already ours.
  • Knowledge that arresting our chemical dependency and returning neurochemical control to us and life is as basic as no nicotine just one day at a time, to Never Take Another Puff!
  • An appreciation for the fact that every cessation related event we experience during this amazing temporary journey of re-adjustment is part of our healing at the physical (re-sensitization), subconscious (trigger re-conditioning) or conscious level (an opportunity to shed honest light on years of denial rationalizations, minimizations and blame transference).
  • An understanding that with each passing day the challenges will gradually become fewer, shorter in duration and generally less intense.
  • An understanding that should we experience a few days during early recovery without significant challenge that we will naturally drop our coping defenses, and when one is at last encountered it may feel more intense - a wonderful sign that the gaps between challenges are widening.
Our dependency is now under arrest.
Free and healing, the next few moments are doable!
Last edited by John (Gold) on July 6th, 2009, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2006, 6:27 am #28

Fixating on a cigarette
Last edited by Sal GOLD.ffn on July 6th, 2009, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeJFree Gold
JoeJFree Gold

August 24th, 2007, 10:51 pm #29

Yes YOU can. We all can, by choosing to not take a puff today.

johnnynonic
johnnynonic

January 19th, 2008, 12:21 pm #30

Quitting can be as easy as you make it - the faster you put the information available at Freedom into pratice the easier it will be.
Lorraine

forza d animo
forza d animo

September 1st, 2008, 7:41 pm #31

For anyone out there wondering if they truly could quit smoking - please give me a few minutes to tell you how Freedom helped me.

johnnynonic
johnnynonic

December 31st, 2008, 1:00 pm #32

Quitting can be as easy as you make it - the faster you put the information available at Freedom into pratice the easier it will be.
Lorraine