Steal
Borrow
Stupidity
Ignorance
Miscalculation
Foolishness
Folly
Setback

No matter which word a person chooses to try to explain his or her relapse, the end result will be the same--the person is once again under total control of a drug that will rob him or her of his or her health and eventually, his or her life.

While there are many words and phrases that we could use to define success, for simplicity I will narrow it down to one phrase. To avoid having to use words like Slip or Just or Only or Puff or Cheat or Sneak or Accident or Mistake or Boo boo or Drag or Blunder or Error or Steal or Borrow or Setback is as simple as always sticking to the one phrase of just remembering to never take another puff!

Joel

L z l

10 Feb 2003, 02:24 #2

I second that emotion
Last edited by L z l on 23 Oct 2009, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Gormo Gold

10 Feb 2003, 03:16 #3

ImageGood Afternoon, Freedom!
If I may, I'd like to add a few more words that translate to R E L A P S E.
Apathetic
Indifferent
Unfocused
Uncaring
Uncommitted
Uneducated
Self-doubt
Wavering
Forgetful
Unsure
Gormo
Four months, three weeks, four days, 15 hours, 45 minutes and 28 seconds. 5906 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,107.73. Life saved: 2 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes.
Last edited by Gormo Gold on 23 Oct 2009, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

Toast (GOLD )

10 Feb 2003, 03:33 #4

Here are some relapse-related noises I've heard in the wild ...
"... can't take it ..."
"... not fair ..."
"... the heck with it ..."
"... too hard ..."
"... what's the use ..."
"... how can I? ..."
"... if it weren't for _____ ..."
"... I'm just not strong ..."
Remember my neighbor & ex-smoking buddy Billy who died last fall finally from 20+ years of congestive heart failure? Here's one he used to tell me: "Everyone I know who quits smoking gets cancer." Billy didn't get cancer when he quit. He just got dead.
Anyway, Joel has brought up a really stellar point about Words. Words are some potent symbols. Using a word like "accident" for relapse might assuage a guilty conscious for a few minutes (or until the nicotine hit), but the heart knows it's a lie. And "accident" brings to mind something a person isn't really responsible for, it just happened. Still, the heart knows differently. Real changes start when we quit telling ourselves Junkie Lies.
Let the truth begin with me!
ImageMelissa
20 months
Last edited by Toast (GOLD ) on 23 Oct 2009, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

DubiouslyDos

14 Apr 2003, 00:42 #5

Complacency would be the word that translates into relapse for me. The moment I begin to take it for granted, a sentimental thought will creep in. The difference today is that I am able to recognize these random tugs at my addiction for what they really are...the last ditch attempts by my body to get nicotine.

Dos
10 Months 3 Weeks and then some

Joel

28 Sep 2004, 20:36 #6

I see where a member was asked recently if she had "cheated" at a recent social event. I suspect most of our members have been asked similar questions in the past and will likely be asked them again in the future. Understand that the people who ask these questions are pretty much limited in their understanding of nicotine addiction. It is not important for you that they ever do understand it either. All that is important is that you understand the law of addiction and that you keep your personal commitment to never take another puff!

Joel

Pryde65 GOLD

28 Sep 2004, 20:44 #7

This is so true. However it may be phrased to relapse, it is not for me. I am committed, 100% to my quit and my life, and will NEVER take another puff. Have a wonderful day, and thank you, Joel.

Sue - Free and Healing for Fifteen Days, 10 Hours and 14 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 17 Hours, by not smoking 494 of those icky cigarettes. I now have $103.73 in my "me" account!!

John (Gold)

08 Jan 2006, 11:55 #8

Image Good Afternoon, Freedom!
If I may, I'd like to add a few more words that translate to R E L A P S E.
Apathetic
Indifferent
Unfocused
Uncaring
Uncommitted
Uneducated
Self-doubt
Wavering
Forgetful
Unsure
Gormo
Four months, three weeks, four days, 15 hours, 45 minutes and 28 seconds. 5906 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,107.73. Life saved: 2 weeks, 6 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes.

This Lesson in Memory of Gormo
Last edited by John (Gold) on 18 Apr 2013, 18:45, edited 2 times in total.

ASMnluv

10 Mar 2006, 11:32 #9

LOVED this post.

With the new season coming, I find myself "slipping" into the stinkin thinkin of "just one".......but luckily I think about all that I've learned here, and just one puff is NOT an option for me.

Fascinating how strongly this habit has a hold on me. I can now relate to the heroine addict, or crack addict. Except that cigarettes are everywhere, everyday, legal and constantly in my face. From the smoker who lights up apon exiting the grocery store, to the addict who steps out for a smoke at a school play. I'm so glad it's not me anymore.

Anyway....thanks for this post...it's a refrigerator reminder for sure.

Big Hugs from Sherry

FoolishWorkinj

06 Apr 2006, 09:25 #10

There are phrases that translate as relapse, too:
"Poor Me." "Not fair." "Oh, why not?" ETC. And then there's the magic phrase: Never Take Another Puff.

Thanks, Joel.