Why we must never take another puff

Joel

04 Nov 2003, 09:05 #41

This is a good thread to go back to the beginning (hitting "First" in the lower left hand corner and reading all of the early responses.

rebmiami green

05 Nov 2003, 00:19 #42

I got hooked on dip and cigarettes in 1986, my senior year in high school, at age 18. (d'oh, if I'd only held out one more year, my statistical likelihood of ever starting would have rapidly tailed off to almost none -- that is one bad decision I made that year!). I became a nicotine addict in very short order, and was walking to the store in any weather to get my fix. I tried to quit cold turkey that summer, so I could start college a nonsmoker. Initiated cold turkey about two weeks before school started, and lasted about two more. I tried again in the summer of 1987, and made one more serious attempt in the school year itself). I put about 30 days together the summer of 1988, and again started a short time after my junior year began. Those three failed summer quits and the one serious attempt during school in 1987-88 represent the last four sustained periods of time my body was nicotine free before this quit, because the next serious quit attempt, in 1992, was when I substituted Nicorettes for cigarettes, and kept using them for the next eleven years (along with snuff and occasional "cheat" cigarettes and cigars). I think I used nicotine every day from that day forward, for eleven years. I put quitting in the "too hard to do box".

In short, I became an addict very early on in the process, as addicted then as I am today. I spent seventeen years and thousands of dollars administering nicotine to my body and brain, with three or four very short excruciating failed quits early on, because I didn't understand or accept the Law of Addiction. Finding this site has helped me not take a smoke or chew, or any nicotine at all, for 16 days, 19 hours, and change, and has given me the tools to keep my freedom as long as I remember that the Law of Addiction applies to me too, and I can never take another puff or chew.

DlunyGOLD

02 Dec 2003, 03:35 #43

Thank you for bringing this thread back up to the front. What an eye-opener and also a memory-jogger!

I started smoking when I was in College--I had smoked very briefly when I was about 12 but lack of opportunity to continue and the fact that I really did NOT like them then kept me off them until I was about 21--my roommate started smoking and at first I bummed from him, then over the course of a couple of weeks started buying my own. This was in 1983. In 1985 my girlfriend asked me to quit and I did for app 3 months (quit #1). I had an auto accident in July of that year and started smoking again about 3 days after the accident. I smoked constantly from then until October 1986 when I moved back in with my parents (who did not know I smoked). I quit then (quit #2) which lasted about 2 weeks until I bummed one from a co-worker. I became something of a closet smoker around my family at this point.

The next time I really attempted to quit was in October 1992 when my fiancee asked me to quit (quit # 3). This quit lasted about 2 days and when it failed everyone was telling me "you're under too much other stress to add quitting smoking to your list right now" and even had co-workers telling me if I did NOT start smoking again on my own they were going to buy them and MAKE me start back. That quit would likely have failed anyway because my fiancee started smoing more heavily before we got married and then the marriage failed for other reasons before the honeymoon was even over good.

My next quit came in 1996 (quit #4). My dad had quit and so had my brother so now I was the only smoker in the family. This time I used the patch and followed the instructions to the letter. This was actually my longest quit. I used the patches for the prescribed 10 weeks then stopped and I felt great. I found that all of the things I used to do while smoking or using I could do "clean" and life was great. I married again and my 2nd wife even made the comment that she was so glad I did not smoke! That marriage failed shortly after it began but I did not even THINK about smoking again. What tipped me over the edge and caused me to lose my quit was the fact that my life basically fell apart in 1999, nearly 3 years after my last quit had started. I was in debt up to my eyeballs, my fiancee had dumped me, my job was going down the tubes. I bought a pack of cigarettes! Boy was I ever STUPID for doing that! It took a couple of weeks for things to settle down but eventually a gameplan was established for getting my life back on track but I continued to smoke.

My next quit came (Quit # 5) about 10 months later in 2000 and this time I used Wellbutrin. My wife (that same fiancee who had dumped me before took me back and we got married) wanted me to quit, my employer wanted me to quit and would pay for he drugs to do it, and I thought I wanted to quit. It lasted about 3 weeks and then I did something really stupid--bought a pack of cigarettes because I missed them! I was able to smoke that one pack and then put them down for another 3 weeks until the urge to smoke became overpowering--it was stronger than ever before and nothing I did could break me of it. Because I associated my wife wih this quit and my misery, I left her SO THAT I COULD SMOKE!

We reconciled but I still continued to smoke even though she wanted me to quit but she was nice and did not nag me too much. In January 2002 we went to a Church Revival and the evangelist said if you have an affliction you want removed put your hand on it and pray with me. I put my hand on my cigarette pack and prayed and found I did not want cigarettes any more. (Quit # 6). This lasted about 6 weeks until we decided to move and have our dog "fixed" at the same time. Something happened during or after the surgery and the dog died overnight at the vet's office. We were behind on what we needed to do to get our stuff out of the house to move and my wife just said "I can't handle it now, I just can't make myself do what needs to be done." With that stress I went and bought a pack of cigarettes and became a closet smoker for about 10 days and then it was out in the open.

This quit (quit #7) started on November 7, 2003 s a result of a conversation I had with a co-worker who also smoked and we both decided we were going to quit. She had all sorts of NRT stuff she was going to bring me but she also told me about this website called whyquit.com. She quit cold-turkey 4 days before I did, she gave me the NRT but said to read before I used it.

It is almost a month into this quit and I can truly say it has been the easiest of them all, thanks to the support and education I have received from Freedom! Thanks Joel, John, and all of the people responsible for making these sites and posts possible!

David - Free and Healing for Three weeks three Days, 5 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 12 Hours 20 minutes, by avoiding the use of 436 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $32.75.

Eeyore6083

02 Dec 2003, 04:59 #44

This is a great thread. I started smoking when I was about 13. I smoked on and off through high school and settled for good in the Spring of 1996. I smoked a pack or two a day for the better part of college and my first year out. About a year and a half ago, summer '02, I quit for 7 weeks. I had a defeatist attitude and hated everything about that 7 weeks. My actual goal was to be able to quit long enough that I could become a "social smoker"! Now I realize that that is totally impossible for me, a drug addict. I guess I always knew that it was not possible but it was a prolonged stage of denial. Well, I went back to smoking by starting with one puff and then a week later back to smoking. Since then I was able to keep it under a pack a day..starting with 5 a day...then 10...then dangeroulsy close to 20 a day again. 2 weeks ago I decided I had had enough and this time I can genuinely say that I can see myself never smoking again because I'll never take another puff.

Jane

rebmiami green

02 Dec 2003, 05:35 #45

I posted my story above. I used to be a nicotine fiend, but because I have not ingested any nicotine -- for One Month, Fourteen Days and 58 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 23 Hours, by avoiding the use of 573 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $275.11,

I am free!

Edson

FlipperOut03

06 Dec 2003, 22:17 #46

My longest past quit was for one year. I lost it due to the "nostalgia factor" and not being educated about never taking one puff.

When I lost my quit, It was a beautiful day. I was driving home alone from shopping listening to the radio. I felt great! The sun was shining, I had the top down and all of a sudden the idea popped in my head to have a cigarette! I think it was the music and remembering how when I was a teenager I would drive around listening to music and smoking.

Anyway, I thought I could handle it! I thought, I'll just stop at that convenience store, have a couple on the way home and throw them out when I get home! I thought, I feel great and I feel strong! Three years later (now) I have finally got the strength again to quit.

I know I am an ADDICT! I know that I can NEVER TAKE A PUFF! I also know that I can handle anything ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Thank you Freedom! Peace, Karen

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 9 hours, 30 minutes and 52 seconds (18 days). I have saved $31.26 by not smoking 183 cigarettes. I have saved 15 hours and 15 minutes of my life.

UKMags1

16 Jan 2004, 19:13 #47

My last successful quit lasted 10 years! Oh yes...I was a non-smoker for 10 years. I had smoked a pack a day for 10 years before embarking on that quit and I was thoroughly proud of myself for quitting. I can honestly say that I did not think of myself as an ex smoker but as a non-smoker. Having said that, I had given up on National No smoking day here in the UK and as that anniversary came round every year I would stop & remember what I had achieved and quietly celebrate it with myself. Not only did I not think about smoking or want a cigarette but I actually HATED it when othjer people smoked. I hated the smell of it on them and especially on my clothes after a night out. I can remember hanging my leather jacket outside for 2 days to get rid of the smell of other peoples cigarettes at a wedding reception I had attended.
With all that you may ask how did I ever start again?
It was simple. I took another puff.
It was a ridiculous moment when I was feeling a little stressed about something and a smoking friend lit up and just for a second I thought "Hmmm...that smells good" and at that point I made the fatal mistake of reaching for that cigarette and taking a drag! Of course it tasted absolutely disgusting and made me feel VERY ill. And I thought yuk..why did I ever do this? And of course I had to take another cigarette to try to remember why i had ever done it. And another and another in an effort to recreate that aaaahhhh feeling which would explain to me why I had ever been a smoker. And by the time I got that aaaahhh feeling of course it was too late. I was addicted again and my TEN YEAR QUIT was down the toilet!
Words cannot explain how I felt about myself! I had to admit to family members that I had started again. My husband and his family had only ever known me as a non-smoker and, as a family of non-smokers themselves, they found it quite horrifying. Worse than other people's opinions of me has been my opinion of my self for the last 3 years. Not a day has gone by that I have not HATED myself for starting again. I have HATED this little white stick in my hand that has held me hostage for anothe 3 years after I thought I had broken it's grip. I had always considered myself to be fairly intelligent, yet how could that be the case when I had done something as stupid as that.
Now of course I know why.
This quit is only 2 weeks old but I know now that the answer is simple. I can use the excuse that I broke that 10 year quit thru ignorance of the true power of my drug of choice.
If I break this quit there will be no excuse. I know the answer and the choice is mine.
My advice to everyone on this website is this, for what it is worth.
Never Take Another Puff.
Don't think you will be different or that you can get away with it 'cos you can't. Thinking that way cost me a ten year quit, my self esteem, God knows how much damage to my body, approximately £2300 in donations to the already rich tobacco companies and a fortune on prescriptions for asthma inhalers. It's not worth the risk so don't take the risk.

Maggie
I have not used any nicotine for 2 Weeks 1 Day 11 Hours 58 Minutes 48 Seconds. During this time I've left 154 evil butts in their packs on the shop shelves at a saving of £33.32. I've reclaimed 12 Hrs 54 Mins 57 Secs of my life to spend with my beautiful children who, hopefully, will not now smoke themselves. I will never take another puff.

LilLulu814

14 Feb 2004, 01:21 #48

I started smoking when I was 13. I can remember it so well. I used to steal my sisters cigarettes so no one would know I wsa smoking. I can remember how it made me feel like I was one of the gang, I belonged with these people, I was part of something. I can remember how I would smoke to cover my nervousness, it gave me something to do with my hands. I never really tried to quit smoking until I was pregnant with my daughter. I'm not sure how long that quit lasted, not even sure if I really quit or if I just became a closet smoker so no one would give me a hard time about it. I can remember my mother and sister would come over for coffee and to chat, (this is something we used to do once a week), and I would go into the bathroom and smoke and blow the smoke out the window. I couldn't wait for them to leave so I could smoke a whole cigarette. Well that was 12 years ago. Then I tried to quit 7 years ago. It was something I was doing for myself, for my 30th birthday, I was going to be healthier and take care of myself. My life was pretty much in the toilet at this time, I was married to an abusive alcoholic who was getting worse by the day. Well that attempt lasted 19 months when while fighting with my husband I decided that I would smoke just one, I was aggravated and I deserved it dammit. Well, it was disgusting. But I was back up to my 1 1/2 packs a day within a week. So now here we are with this quit, and I know I can make it this time. I know that I'm a nicotine addict and can never have "just one". Its all or none. I choose none.
I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Week 1 Day 14 Hours 34 Minutes 58 Seconds. Nasty Cigarettes not smoked: 258. Money saved: $44.42.

smurfetteirl

02 Apr 2004, 22:28 #49

hi all,
i too like most people here taught myself to smoke to feel accepted, ive given up blaming myself for being so stupid because i was only thirteen years old. ive tryed to quit most new years and national no- smoking days, but thinking about being without smokes was enough to scare me into not giving them up. im so proud ive been free and re-learning to live for the past two months, my biggest fear is a relapse,there happens to be a very thin line between being quit and relapsing . THANK YOU UKMAGS FOR THIS FANTASTIC POST,THESE LINES HAVE MADE SO MUCH SENCE TO ME, THERE GOING ON MY 'REASONS TO QUIT LIST' BECAUSE YOUR WORDS SUM UP HOW IMPORTANT STAYING QUIT REALLY IS!!!!!!

It was a ridiculous moment when I was feeling a little stressed about something and a smoking friend lit up and just for a second I thought "Hmmm...that smells good" and at that point I made the fatal mistake of reaching for that cigarette and taking a drag! Of course it tasted absolutely disgusting and made me feel VERY ill. And I thought yuk..why did I ever do this? And of course I had to take another cigarette to try to remember why i had ever done it. And another and another in an effort to recreate that aaaahhhh feeling which would explain to me why I had ever been a smoker. And by the time I got that aaaahhh feeling of course it was too late. I was addicted again and my TEN YEAR QUIT was down the toilet!

fantastic insight!thanks again ukmags
lynda,......day74

Rickrob53 Gold

28 May 2004, 11:09 #50

Joel, John (anyone):
This might be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.
Joel, you write:
"I have written often that what really shows the addictive nature of
nicotine is not how hard it is to get off of it,
but rather how easy it is to go back after a quit."
Question: Why is it easy to go back? Could it be that because after years of feeding our brains nicotine we permanently changed our brains physically? ...such that we have millions of nicotine receptors still in our brains months or years after we quit? That if we still do have all those receptors in our brain, its that one puff that re-awakens them as though we never quit in the first place?
...Just asking.
Thanks
Richard