Why we must never take another puff

SammymnGOLD

24 Jul 2002, 02:58 #31

Thanks for keeping this post active! I know in my heart that had I been aware of this site BEFORE I blew a SEVEN YEAR QUIT, that it would now be a 15 year quit. Yep, that's right, I quit for seven years, ran like the wind, raced 6 and 10 mile races, was in the best shape of my life and then, NAIVELY believed that I could take just one puff from a friend of mine when we were out together. I literally puffed off her cigarette; didn't even light my own, that night. But you all know how this story ended, one puff led to a near pack a day cigarette habit and nary a quit attempt for seven years. Needless to say, running was inconsistent with my addict lifestyle so notwithstanding the fact that I loved it, I gave it up with not even a sideways glance.

It took me SEVEN long years to generate enough oumph to do this, and I know now that there is never going to be a safe level of tobacco usage for this addict.

Sam (18 days, 14 hours, 57 minutes into the fight for reclaiming my life).

Juanjuanjuanjuanjuan200

24 Jul 2002, 04:48 #32

INTRODUCING interNATIONAL CHAMPION OF FAILED QUITS: OF FAILURES
25 years of smoking.

had one 3year quit
3 three months quit
Numerous 2 or 3 day quits.

2 or 3 years of a three cigarrettes a day So called quit.

Tried everything:
patches, inhalers, chewing gums, chew tobacco, acupucture, hypnosis, machine

cold turkeys, slow one: arrive seven times to a 1 cigarrette a day attempts and then relapse into my 20 cigarrettes a day Dies Irae.

can you beat me?

Juan
I have been Quit for: 1M 1W 5D 18h 25m 2s. I have NOT smoked 875, for a savings of $131.30. Life Saved: 3D 55m. This one will hold for today.

Joel

12 Aug 2002, 18:29 #33

Image Do we have members who have lost quits in the past? Sure we do, here are my of them talking about it. But they know that things are different now--not because their current quits are longer than their past one, for they are clearly not. It is different now because they understand addiction this time around--they clearly know what they are fighting. They are not fighting a million cigarettes, a thousand, a case of cigarettes, a carton, a pack or even just one cigarette. They are fighting a puff and the battle line is drawn clearly in the sand for them. They could blow this quit whenever they want or they can stay successfully smoke free as long as they stay one hundred percent committed to never take another puff!

Joel

CdnpheonixGold

12 Aug 2002, 23:19 #34

Thanks for bringing this up Joel.

About 8 years ago I had quit for over a year and I "puffed it".

I started out on the patch, but after two weeks I quit using it. I worked out all the time. I hiked, biked, swam, did arobics videos, changed my eating habits etc, etc. I was truly a health freak. Over the course of a year I must of lost close to 50# and I wasn't smoking! Image I celebrated my anniversary of my quit with pride! Then about a week later . . . it happened.

You know, the usual story, out with friends, uneducated "quitter", overconfident, thought I could have "Just one" . . .

Well here I am again. This is my 3rd quit since Jan 1, 2000 but this time I have FREEDOM!! As long as I don't forget that I'm an ADDICT and I'm A PUFF AWAY FROM 30 A DAY, I'll be fine! That one puff terrifies me. I don't ever want to forget to
NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

YQS
C
NOT A PUFF for 2W 5D 12h 40m 46s and counting. That's 585 cigarettes I didn't buy or smoke for a savings of $102.52.
ps. Could have been 8+ years if not for 1 little puff.

Joel

12 Aug 2002, 23:37 #35

That is why this quit is going to be your last quit Cdnpheonix. As long as you recognize the addiction and its treatment you will succeed. When you treat and addiction as an addiction you will stay in control of it--its when you try to treat an addiction as a bad habit that you don't stand a prayer. To stay in control of the nicotine addiction is no m ore complicated than always remembering to never administer to your body nicotine via any source or simply stated for cigarettes to always remember to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

10 Nov 2002, 06:15 #36

ImageRecommend Message 27 of 27 in Discussion
Joel, just as I was kicking back enjoying my One Year of Freedom I had a wake up call. I visited one of my customers this week and while I was there she asked her son for a cigarettes. I said "I didn't know you smoked". She said "well I had quit 20 years ago and this old friend came to visit me and we had some giggles sharing a couple smokes. Ya know, I can't seem to stop buying them now...". That was a 20 YEAR QUIT THAT SHE LOST!!!! It's never, ever, ever, ever, OK to take another puff for us addicts. Did I stress NEVER!!!

*Candy* at one year but just a puff away from full blown active addiction (not gonna happen though)

Joel

04 Dec 2002, 19:13 #37

Hi all. I feel privileged to be a part of this board. I was very impressed with the amount of materials available, and have been drawing on them even before I quit. As a matter of fact, I was motivated to move up my quit date, so I could join sooner. November 26 was the date, and now I am nicotine free. I was feeling great until the last couple of days, been physically hurting, nerves on edge, crabby as can be. And I know this is normal, I just can't wait for it to go away. I know the physical part of the withdrawal is over, but what is it that I am feeling now, a week into my quit?

My history - I quit 14 years (wanted to have children) and did. And then one of my lovely kids became a teenager, and brought home cigarettes - and I had the junkie thinking, only one, what's the big deal, I quit all these years. So many aids today to help people quit. And here I sit, 6 years later, and several quit attempts later! It is a big deal. I never want to face withdrawal again. And I know that time does not make you exempt from the addiction. The only way to survive, is one day at a time, without ever taking even one puff!

So this is my mantra. I look forward to your support, as well as supporting you in your quits.

Diana
QD 11/26/02, 1 week, 1 day, 22 hours and counting!

Joel

20 Jun 2003, 18:29 #38

Image For our newer members who were not around when this one was first up, it would be good to go back to the first few screens and get the personal perspectives of the past losses suffered by our members before they new that to stay smoke free they must never take another puff! Joel

Joel

04 Aug 2003, 20:40 #39

Image Do we have members who have lost quits in the past? Sure we do, here are many of them talking about it. But they know that things are different now--not because their current quits are longer than their past one, for they are clearly not. It is different now because they understand addiction this time around--they clearly know what they are fighting. They are not fighting a million cigarettes, a thousand, a case of cigarettes, a carton, a pack or even just one cigarette. They are fighting a puff and the battle line is drawn clearly in the sand for them. They could blow this quit whenever they want or they can stay successfully smoke free as long as they stay one hundred percent committed to never take another puff!

Joel

Joel

15 Sep 2003, 20:20 #40

Image Do we have members who have lost quits in the past? Sure we do, here are many of them talking about it. But they know that things are different now--not because their current quits are longer than their past one, for they are clearly not. It is different now because they understand addiction this time around--they clearly know what they are fighting. They are not fighting a million cigarettes, a thousand, a case of cigarettes, a carton, a pack or even just one cigarette. They are fighting a puff and the battle line is drawn clearly in the sand for them. They could blow this quit whenever they want or they can stay successfully smoke free as long as they stay one hundred percent committed to never take another puff!
Joel