Why Dont I feel Good?

Physical healing of the body and mind
Toast (GOLD )

03 Jan 2004, 07:52 #11

Hi CR and Welcome to Freedom!

You, my friend, are not alone. Not everyone feels GREAT! after 7 days. I was like you - felt out of sorts, uneasy in my own skin, just not right. Many times I wondered if smoking a cigarette would help me feel "normal" again. But I worked so hard, went through so much discomfort that the further I got from my quit date, the more invested I felt in seeing it through. I had to put a lot of trust in what the "oldbies" said here - that it gets better. I hung onto that for dear life during many walks around the block, spontaneous shower-takings, coffee-stir-stick-chewings, T'ai Chi'ings, house-cleanings, etc. It took a while, but I began to feel better. One day, I realized that it took me more than a few days or weeks to get accustomed to smoking, that it would take me more than a few days or weeks to get accustomed to not smoking again.

Is it worth it? Why would I have quit in the first place?? Is it easy? Not so much in the beginning, but much more as time passes. Does it really get better? Would I be here telling you now if it didn't?? (No!)

Hug your quit tight - it's the best gift you've ever given yourself!

Image Melissa
31 months

OBob Gold

03 Jan 2004, 08:07 #12

Hi Colby.

I definitely wasn't offended by your cancer comment. It's not uncommon for new quitters to express feelings along the lines of: "at least if I get cancer, I won't have to go through this any more" or "I'll probably get cancer anyway, so what's the use of quitting" or a variety of other variations on the theme.

My purpose in pointing you to Kim's story was not to put you in your place, or express any offense; but to:

a) bring a little reality to your own thinking. Things like cancer and dying, when thought of in the abstract, especially by somebody who's going through very real quit-related struggles, can seem less horrifying than they are. Because they truly are horrifying, and because a return to smoking would increase any of our chances of going through that, I felt it important to make it a little more real for you through Kim's story

b) illustrate the contrast between the difficulties associated with quitting and the difficulties associated with continuing to smoke through Kim's trademark signature (rather be going through withdrawal than this).

Please don't feel the need to apologize for anything you express here in regards to your quit and your relationship with nicotine. It is important that you express your honest feelings, in order for any of us longer-term quitters to be able to help you. Nobody here's going to be offended by the things you're going through. Many of us had the same thoughts you're having now.

From experience, we know that these thoughts (and others like them) can be overcome by confronting them with the truth at all times. We also know that, by confronting them, and overcoming them, any nicotine addict can find lasting comfort. It takes time... but it does happen. I urge you to spend some time on the Success Stories: Before and After thread... especially the early posts, of which a greater percentage show people who posted SOS's in their early quits, and survived the troubles to find the comfort everyone here is promising you.

I'm glad to see you're reading the replies and continuing to post. In many cases, half the battle is won by simply delaying a bad decision (relapse), and letting the crisis pass. In almost all cases, the long-term battle is won by understanding the nature of the addiction and the recovery process.

Remember. For the nicotine addict (all of us who are members here), there are 2 options. Smoke them all, or smoke none of them. Real comfort comes by pursuing the second option, and breaking the cycle of withdrawal and temporary relief that characterized our smoking lives.

YQB,

ImageBob

DlunyGOLD

03 Jan 2004, 08:09 #13

Hi Colby! I don't recall welcoming you to Freedom so If I haven't then consider yourself welcomed and if I did then this is just icing on the cake.

Every quit is different. What was your motivating factor for quitting? Have you made a written list of your reasons for quitting? The nice thing about having that is that we can always consult that when we face rough spots in the road.

We care about you and your quit and want you to succeed. For me the first week wasn't easy, but it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. I continue to read here often and I go back and read older posts and re-read Joel's Library as well to reinforce and to remind me of where I have been and also to see where I want to be.

Remember to take this recovery as a JOURNEY, not a destination. Sometimes you will take quantum leaps forward, sometimes baby steps, and sometimes it will feel as though you are going backward. Remember this too shall pass. Trouble does not come to STAY, it comes to PASS.

Our Gold members have posted and told you that if it stayed like it is for you now forever that they would not be gold and that is the truth! If it did not get any better over time I would not have 8 weeks clean myself. Have faith and remember that the next few minutes are so doable! One day at a time never take another puff! No nicotine today!

yqb, David One month, three weeks, five days, 10 hours, 8 minutes and 18 seconds. 1015 cigarettes not smoked, saving $76.17. Life saved: 3 days, 12 hours, 35 minutes.

kerriq79

03 Jan 2004, 08:16 #14

Hey Colby.
I really respect the fact that you writing your truth. It is also obvious that you really want to quit based on the fact you posted even a negative time.

I'm not much further along than you, ( I reach 3 weeks tomorrow), but I do think that if you feel crappy now, you will feel even more crappy if you have a puff. As for being bored out of your mind, you may want to take up a new hobby. With the money I'm saving on cigarettes I am starting a dance class next week! It will probably be obvious, I was smoker for so long!. Maybe you can take a class in something, like painting or writing or some sports activity. Heck, you could even become a trivia nerd. I have read that people often become depressed after quitting. Do you think it is some of that? It just seems you need to do something that will take your mind off quitting. Remember that smoking was not a treat to yourself, but a torture.

I pray for your strength, and hope you stick with it.

Cheers,
Kerri

Shinelady Gold3282003

03 Jan 2004, 10:17 #15

Hi Colby,
I see you have received lots of advice already. I won't try to give you more, but I just want to say that I felt about the way you do at this point. It takes time to adjust, but I promise you that if you stick with it.... it gets sooooooooo much better. This journey is so worthwhile. The one thing that helped me to rationalize what I felt was to think about how I would feel hours, days weeks from now if I gave up my quit... Yes, I would regret it. I can assure you that if you stick with it, you will never live to regret that. Hang in there Colby, you can do this... What you are feeling is normal and it will get better....
yqs, sue
Nine months, five days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 42 seconds. 11205 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,619.21. Life saved: 5 weeks, 3 days, 21 hours, 45 minutes.

Ivana

06 Jan 2004, 04:24 #16

Hi Colby,
Are you still hanging in there? Today is my 5th day and I can say that I'm still suffering too. I'm determined though! I've failed so many times before and, darn it, THIS time I'm going to DO IT!
This weekend, everytime I thought I was going to cave, I took a nap! It was quite luxurious - I was sleepin' most of the weekend. Image
At any rate, I don't know how long it's going to be hard, but I'm going to win this time. The weirdest thing is happening, too..... I'm overweight, and I was worried about the possibility of gaining more, but.....the funniest thing has happened! I have much less desire to eat! I actually smoked while I ate certain things.....while I drank coffee, while I ate sweets, ice cream, etc. And now I don't want those things anymore. Who knows, maybe I'll end up skinny at the end of all this.
I'll say one thing, though, even though I'm still suffering, I feel GREAT to have DONE this. I'm on top of the world for taking charge of my life for a change.
Good luck to you and let me know if you're still suffering. You can give me a heads up, as you're a few days ahead of me.
Ivana

Michelle72482

06 Jan 2004, 04:44 #17

Hello Colby. I know EXACTLY what you're going through. At day 7 I was a wreck!! I felt the same way you are feeling.....bored, nothing seemed fun anymore, I felt VERY grouchy (just ask my family!) I remember looking forward to going to bed just so I could sleep (this was difficult the first week too) and not have to think about it. It WILL end, I promise! I remember people would tell me that and I'd think "Yeah right"! I thought everybody else was having an easier time than I was but they went through these stages as well. I was one who smoked approx. 25 cigarettes a day and looked forward to smoking, although there were times when I would say to myself "this isn't even enjoyable, so why do I do it"?? I did it because I am an addict! I have been quit for 3 months plus and let me tell you, and you can mark my words...It gets so much easier as time goes by. I can't stress that enough. I know it seems like time is probably standing still right now but you will find that it will start to fly and you'll actually lose track of your time you've been quit. At first I was counting day each day...two days, 3 days etc....and then on the 30th of Dec. I turned bronze and guess what? I didn't even think about it until 5 in the afternoon..so see, it does get better. Please hang in there.
Michelle
free and healing for 3 months and 6 days.

Ronsdone1

06 Jan 2004, 06:24 #18

Colby, Hang in there dude. You are over the worst physical part. Its now your addict mind you have to re-train. What you are REALLY feeling, I suspect, is insecure. You don't know how to act in that clean body of yours. Hey, I'm hating the tummy cramps and nightly heartburn, but these things too shall pass. I actually considered calling my doctor to get something for the spazmodic belly I seem to have, but I decided to wait a few more days. Point is, you are not alone, there are plenty of people here who will rip out your liver and feed it to the maggots of you smoke again, and I promise to forever curse your lawn with grub eating moles. DELAY, DELAY, DELAY. One is too many, a thousand not enough. IT WILL PASS!
God Bless and good luck.

jcdgl

15 Jan 2004, 21:35 #19

Hi colby
I just read your post. It is about 10 days old now so I hope that you will even know there is a new reply. I am 8 days and 12 hours. Yesterday I stayed home from work because I was exhausted. Today I feel better but still not perky. I have a dull headache almost all the time. I am still thrilled that I have not had a cigarette but wondering if you started to feel better.

Beverly Gold

16 Jan 2004, 02:01 #20

I am so sorry that I missed this post and I am very hopeful that you are feeling better. It looks like you received lots of advise. I know it is tough at times. It sure is for me. I can only go on faith of what I am told here by the ones with longer quits and that is that it does get better. I am over a month quit and I still have my moments. But, I promise if you hang in htere, they get fewer and farther between. It is getting better for me. Everyday, I think about smoking less and less. I am proud for that. We are all pulling for you. Sorry for the delayed response, I am not on as much as I'd like to be. Beverly---free and healing for over one month now. Feeling better everyday that I don't TAP.