Why did I ever start smoking?

Why did I ever start smoking?

Joel

29 Dec 2000, 21:11 #1

Why did I ever start smoking? It is pretty funny, people often try to reflect on when and why they started smoking as if thinking that it would answer the daunting question of why they continue to smoke. In reality, the reason you start and the reason you continue are not the same.

Some people start because of peer pressure. But in society today, if peer pressure was going to be the influencing factor, it would be making people quit smoking not continue.

Some people took up smoking to look older and more mature. How many people here in their 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's or beyond want to do everything in their power to look older than they do already.

Others take up smoking out of being rebellious. Their parents, teachers, doctors and other adults told them they couldn't smoke. So to show them who was in control, they smoked anyway. Well, how many 60-year-old smokers are there who are smoking today so they could snub their nose at their 80 to 90 year old parents saying, "you see, you can't tell me not to smoke."

People start for a few reasons, but they continue for one--they became drug addicts, the drug--nicotine. It is interesting though because the same thing happens when the smoker quits. The initial reason some people quit often become secondary in importance to reasons they eventually stay off.

Some people quit to make others happy, or because of non-smoking policies issued at a place of employment. But after quitting, they find they feel better than ever, are calmer, have more energy, have more money, are overall happier and in more control of his or her own life. Well now the reason for staying off may have little bearing on the initial quit reason. In many ways they are better reasons and more lasting. Or, some people who quit for medical risks alone start to realize that not smoking is just a nicer way of life. Sometimes the quality of life becomes more important to them than the concept of length of life.

Whatever your initial reason for quitting was, it is still valid. On top of that the are numerous benefits you may have noticed and some you haven't even thought of yet which are still to be noticed. Some you will never think of but are real anyway. Keep focused on every good reason not to smoke. This becomes your ammunition to stay the course, to ride out those annoying craves and urges that pop out of nowhere.

Whether or not you ever accurately remember why you started to smoke, as long as you remember why you quit and why you stay off you will keep your resolve strong to never take another puff.

Joel

Related video:

Last edited by Joel on 27 Sep 2011, 15:22, edited 2 times in total.

R b rt

29 Dec 2000, 21:49 #2

This is too cool!
I remember the day I started like it was yesterday ... in my mind's eye I see the whole picture!

... and yes the reason I started was NOT the reason I kept smoking! I thought I liked smoking (long long time ago!) then smoking didn't "feel" good anymore ... but smoking I did !! !! !!

Hmmmmmmmm, I like this article!
- robert -
4months-28days

quit4good

29 Dec 2000, 23:42 #3

I just posted in another thread my own reason for starting...peer pressure and I'll show you! Well I really showed them didn't I? All of the old crowd, except for two of us, are now ex smokers...who showed who? At least I understand they why I continued to smoke and the reason that I have relapsed so many times...I AM AN ADDICT! An addict who didn't understand that one puff resulted in full relapse and full smoking again...sure I felt horrible and guilty at blowing all of my efforts out of the water, but mmm I had my smokes. How disgusting.

JUST FOR TODAY I WON'T PUFF!

Hugs YQS,
Amy

I have been free for 3 weeks, 1 day, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 15 seconds. Have robbed the nicodemon of 661 cigarettes, stealing $89.29 from Phillip Morris, and plan to be around an extra: 2 days, 7 hours, 5 minutes.

Bolko (Staff3)

17 Jan 2001, 02:45 #4

I wish I would know the answerImage
Childish couriosity, I guess. I was trying to pretend I am older or act like an adult or something. I just can't recall any brain activity which lead me to memorize all thinking at this day. I just bought 5 cigarettes (They're selling single cigarettes by a piece in mid 50's Poland) and I smoked them one by one looking at the mirror untill I got dizzy and I felt down on a floor.(At this time looking at the mirror didn't make me scared yetImage) I felt dizzy for a couple more hours and I though it was funny feeling!!!! I knew I wasn't addicted from the very beginning because I didn't have enough money to buy cigarettes, so I could stand without smoke for a weeks.
Since I started working couple years later and having my own money I become addicted for the next 42 years. The longest period of time without smokes was a little bit over 1 month.
The history of my failed attempts to quit to be covered during next sessions, if anyImage
Have a wonderful day everyoneImage
Bolko

camperj55

17 Jan 2001, 02:56 #5

It was soooo long ago when I first started smoking, I don't remember why now.. I do remember a pack of cigs cost 25 cents a pack.. That was a few years ago LOL..

But i do know, I will never give up this healthful feeling I have now after only a little less then two weeks quiting... John I have been Quit for: 1W 6D 1h 59m 44s. I have NOT smoked 523, for a savings of $78.50. Life Saved: 1D 19h 35m.

duncan

01 May 2001, 21:12 #6

good question ...
i started on the smokes in a desperate attempt to seek new corners in the world with rebellish people - i went to an all boys private presbyterian boarding school - it was sooooooo strict - as soon as i got out of there i went looking for anything that was mentioned by the school as being taboo - smoking was the first thing on my agenda - no guessing why - i was strapped to a bleeding by my headmaster - he finished a royal issue cigarette just before i entered the room - how insanely insulting - i was 16 - i went to university and did an arts psychology degree - i had to hang with the hippies - i was far to creative not too - naturally where smoke there was fire and hippies - i was hooked, i remember - only 6 months having started - i am now 29, I became a drug addict when I was only 19 -
thanks for a post to remember Joel !
love to you - duncan

Ryan(Gold)

05 Jun 2001, 20:16 #7

This is such a great article.

Like everyone else I too remember why I started smoking and remember it like it was yesterday. It was peer pressure. My Best friend in the whole world. I was so upset at the my Girlfriend at age 15 (Man that was pathetiic...Puppy Love:-)) that my best friend pressured me into smoking. What a great friend eh? I too was nieve at that young of an age and I though smoking was cool. I had no idea what I was doing to my body. I quit because of a lot of reasons, mainly because I did not want to live with my fiance if I was still smoking. I didn't want her to be married with someone that was going to have a short life and have their kids lose there daddy at an early again. After I quit and the fog was gone from my mind I realized I quit for a lot reasons but I couldn't see them or touch them until I quit.
It sure is worth being smoke free. I just do not have the desire to smoke after smoking for 7 years and that is the best feeling in the world
Great article Joel!!
YQB,
Ryan
Look...I'm almost GREEN!!!!!
Three weeks, 8 hours, 15 minutes and 42 seconds. 426 cigarettes not smoked, saving $70.43. Life saved: 1 day, 11 hours, 30 minutes.

Darcy75 (Gold)

05 Jun 2001, 22:50 #8

vERY GOOD ARTICLE jOEL!
I think the main reason I started was out of anger. My parents were divorcing and I was mad at the world and going to show them. My Dad quit smoking about the time I started but my mom continued. She died almost five years ago from lung cancer. Guess I showed her!!
Two weeks, six days, 11 hours, 47 minutes and 16 seconds. 409 cigarettes not smoked, saving $61.47. Life saved: 1 day, 10 hours, 5 minutes.

Liv (green)

21 Sep 2001, 11:58 #9

I believe I have been wanting to quit for a long time but have been afraid to admit it to myself for fear of failing.

But the advice and warning from a doctor did have a strong affect on me; I actually LISTENED to her! Over these past few days I have remembered certain situations over the years that really made me quite ashamed of being a smoker. The smell has probably been the most embarrassing aspect, and often made me feel like a stinky outcast!

I hope I will continue to be as determined to stay quit as I was when I decided to "learn" how to smoke!!!

Thanks Joel!!!

Hugs,

Liv~ Smoke free for 4 days!!!

Joel

22 May 2002, 09:05 #10

I see where we have some newer and younger people joining starting to analyze why they originally took up smoking. There is another post around here by John titled something like, "Why did I take the second puff" that probably addresses this issue to. If anyone finds it before me bring it up.

Joel